What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

soc123_au

Staff member
I thought it included Burton, there were reports of the Bulldogs visiting Burton’s parents which I would’ve thought would be a breach of the rules.
The Dogs sponsor spoke to Charlie's parents. Could have been Burton's as well. It wasn't very successful at the Staines household in any case. I'm also pretty sure the sponsor in question threw the toys out of the cot not long after & has pulled the pin on the Dogs.

The Dogs sponsor spoke to Charlie's parents. Could have been Burton's as well. It wasn't very successful at the Staines household in any case. I'm also pretty sure the sponsor in question threw the toys out of the cot not long after & has pulled the pin on the Dogs.

Yeah but the NRL would see that as an agent of the bulldogs, the report I read said they spoke to both parents.

Another twist is Naden was rumoured to go to the storm.But now James Roberts has been told by the bunnies he can look elsewhere he fits the storm mould more than naden

I think Naden fits more because Melbourne are losing their wingers, although I guess Roberts could play wing. In which case they both might fit.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Why do we want Burton to play centre? If we let Naden go, I really hope it’s because we are trying to sign an actual gun centre.

Burton can go play for the dogs, it’s ok.

I’d rather have a better centre, than weaken the position to try and keep him.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Why do we want Burton to play centre? If we let Naden go, I really hope it’s because we are trying to sign an actual gun centre.

Nah Burton is a crazy talent. We'd be very f**king silly to not at least try him in another position

I think he would strengthen the position, on the proviso he can handle the defensive reads. He’s tall, he’s quick and he’s an excellent passer. Lots of 5/8’s have played centre and vice versa. We’ve had a couple of good ones ourselves.

We’re not going to be able to afford a gun centre, unless it’s someone like James Roberts who’s on the outer. Best hope we have for a gun might be Turuva, but he’s probably a year or two away.

Original Name

Juniors
Then blows his knee out next preseaon and gets almost nothing. The kid should cash in while he can imo. Can set his whole life up here
Plenty of flashy young five eights but none with the kicking game of Burton at his age (20). He'll find clubs even if he does his acl just off the back of his kicking ability. If you are the player you think you are the money will come.

mxlegend99

Referee

How is Burton weakening centre? There's absolutely nothing to back that up just yet.

We have no way of knowing how he would perform at centre over a season. Not until we try him there. We do know hes a good ball runner, has good vision and passing skills and has been training at centre among other positions this year. He has a good frame and once he fills out he can go from centre to lock / second row if we think that better suits the team.

Plenty of players have jumped between centre and halves with success so it's not exactly that crazy of an idea. Its entirely possible he fails. But its not a long shot bet. I think its a better than 50% bet he makes a very good centre

Between Burton at centre and May on the bench you have a good backup halves pairing who are getting experience each week and in and around the team each week. If we could make it work he offers more than you could get on the market without paying insane overs

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Sometimes you’ve gotta think outside the box a bit. Look at Jack Wighton, he’s killing it at 5/8, but everyone had him pegged as a centre or fullback.

We’ve had guys at the club who’ve played 5/8 and centre, Izzard & Fittler.

Is Jack Wighton really killing it at 5/8? Or is he playing like a centre only getting the ball 1 pass earlier?
He’s a centre in my opinion. If you compare the way he plays compared to Keary, Luai and Walker.
He certainly doesn’t get many Try Assists or Forced drop outs.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

How is Burton weakening centre? There's absolutely nothing to back that up just yet.

We have no way of knowing how he would perform at centre over a season. Not until we try him there. We do know hes a good ball runner, has good vision and passing skills and has been training at centre among other positions this year. He has a good frame and once he fills out he can go from centre to lock / second row if we think that better suits the team.

Plenty of players have jumped between centre and halves with success so it's not exactly that crazy of an idea. Its entirely possible he fails. But its not a long shot bet. I think its a better than 50% bet he makes a very good centre

Between Burton at centre and May on the bench you have a good backup halves pairing who are getting experience each week and in and around the team each week. If we could make it work he offers more than you could get on the market without paying insane overs

We are going to have to pay him halves money to keep him. The Dogs are desperate to sign him.
So if he signs with them, do we try him in the centre’s for 12 months?

Too many questions for me.

If he extends and is happy to play for less, I’m stoked to keep him, as a back up half if nothing else.

If he’s asking for 5/8 money to have a crack at the centre’s. I’d be less interested.

betcats

Referee
Id love to see Burton in the centres, big, fast, good footwork and he can ball play and kick like a half. I could see him being an upgrade over Naden pretty easily but given what has happened with May I think he might take Nadens spot if Naden does leave which would open up a utility spot on the bench.

We arent going to offer Burton what the Dogs are going to offer, his manager would of figured that out months ago and yet Blade has said he has been doing everything we ask and is on board with our plan for him. I think we have a good chance of keeping him. Staines just stayed for less and he is in the same position as Burton outside the top 17, there is no reason Burton wont choose to do the same.

Last edited:

Jane Murray

Bench
Id love to see Burton in the centres, big, fast, good footwork and he can ball play and kick like a half. I could see him being an upgrade over Naden pretty easily but given what has happened with May I think he might take Nadens spot if Naden does leave which would open up a utility spot on the bench.

We arent going to offer Burton what the Dogs are going to offer, his manager would of figured that out months ago and yet Blade has said he has been doing everything we ask and is on board with our plan for him. I think we have a good chance of keeping him. Staines just stayed for less and he is in the same position as Burton outside the top 17, there is no reason Burton wont choose to do the same.

If Naden goes, or if he stays, I think Burton will be in the 17 next year.

age.s

First Grade
Is Jack Wighton really killing it at 5/8? Or is he playing like a centre only getting the ball 1 pass earlier?
He’s a centre in my opinion. If you compare the way he plays compared to Keary, Luai and Walker.

Centres generally don’t have a boot like that, but does it even matter? He won a Dally M in the position and an unorthodox 5/8 is still a 5/8. Its absolutely correct to say he's killing it in the position. If Burton was to win a Dally M at centre we could say the same thing.

WestyLife

First Grade
We are going to have to pay him halves money to keep him. The Dogs are desperate to sign him.
So if he signs with them, do we try him in the centre’s for 12 months?

Too many questions for me.

If he extends and is happy to play for less, I’m stoked to keep him, as a back up half if nothing else.

If he’s asking for 5/8 money to have a crack at the centre’s. I’d be less interested.

I agree with betcats. Burton's camp know what both clubs are offering. If he stays it'll be on Panthers terms both financially and with the position he gets.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Centres generally don’t have a boot like that, but does it even matter? He won a Dally M in the position and an unorthodox 5/8 is still a 5/8. Its absolutely correct to say he's killing it in the position. If Burton was to win a Dally M at centre we could say the same thing.

The only reason he won the Dally M is because he had no other players taking points off him. Our halves were playing exactly like a good halves pair should and were sharing the attack. Luai finished 7th.

The Dally is a shit scoring system and definitely not a way to judge who is best in a position.

Wighton had a great season for the Raiders, but would I pick him at 5/8 for NSW? Hell no.

Original Name

Juniors
Ehh I feel like Burton's a natural footballer who would do a fair job at centre but I remember after Staines passed inside to Edwards to score a try Slater said Staines has got too much footy in him for the wing and I feel like same to a greater extent applies to Burto. He's got vision, you'd want him as an old school ball playing forward or a fullback. Somewhere that uses his best strengths. His biggest strength is his kicking game. Not just his accurate kicking ability and long boot but picking which kick to use, seeing when the fullback's out of position, etc. That'd be wasted at centre. Ideally you'd want him around tired forwards linking up other players and being on the opposite side of the ruck to Cleary so you'd have two long range options both willing to kick early so the fullback is hopefully caught in two minds.

If we have no one else he'd do a job just because he's a footballer who can play pretty much anywhere but I don't think for him it's a good position.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts