What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

soc123_au

Staff member
The Panthers has spent time, and money, in training the players, only for them to signed by other teams, that is wrong. Maybe the teams, who does this a lot, should either compensate the clubs who produces these players, or the NRL should. Better still they should ensure their own junior base is strong.

This is what I would like to see the NRL encourage. Every team should be at least having a real go at developing players.

We are always going to lose players to other clubs, it's the price of having a successful pathways setup. It sucks to lose players the calibre of Burton & Laurie, but it's also great to have the players we have still playing for us that have come from the same pathways. There is a lot of talent still to come, we will be disappointed no doubt when we lose a few of them as well, but I'd bet there will be a few that stay to be valued members of the team.

Jane Murray

Bench
This is what I would like to see the NRL encourage. Every team should be at least having a real go at developing players.

We are always going to lose players to other clubs, it's the price of having a successful pathways setup. It sucks to lose players the calibre of Burton & Laurie, but it's also great to have the players we have still playing for us that have come from the same pathways. There is a lot of talent still to come, we will be disappointed no doubt when we lose a few of them as well, but I'd bet there will be a few that stay to be valued members of the team.
Burton only left because of the insane money thrown at him. I hope that Barrett fails, on the other hand, I hope that Flannagan, and Burton, are not heavily criticized when that happens.

soc123_au

Staff member
Burton only left because of the insane money thrown at him. I hope that Barrett fails, on the other hand, I hope that Flannagan, and Burton, are not heavily criticized when that happens.

Yeah, from what @Blade23 said he did knock them back to start with. Then they made an offer too good to refuse. My point is if we continue to be successful with the pathways program then this trend will continue. From what I understand is the goal is to have the core group of players to play 200+ games for us. On average that will take 8 to 10 years for a player to achieve. The core would be Cleary, Luai, Fish, Yeo, Kiks, Martin & Critta I'd guess. Then add in players like Api, Too', Lenui, Leota who you would want to keep as long as you can & there isn't a lot of spots in the 17 left.

Start consistently producing 3 or 4 first grade standard players a year & it doesn't take long & you cant fit them all no matter how much the cap is. As long as we keep what we really need to run out the best 17 we can then we are in a better position than those coming in with big bucks for the ones that dont fit the 17. A lot of it is just timing on who will stay & go. Swap Burton & Luai around in age & I have no doubt it's Luai wearing blue & white next year.

betcats

Referee
Yeah, from what @Blade23 said he did knock them back to start with. Then they made an offer too good to refuse. My point is if we continue to be successful with the pathways program then this trend will continue. From what I understand is the goal is to have the core group of players to play 200+ games for us. On average that will take 8 to 10 years for a player to achieve. The core would be Cleary, Luai, Fish, Yeo, Kiks, Martin & Critta I'd guess. Then add in players like Api, Too', Lenui, Leota who you would want to keep as long as you can & there isn't a lot of spots in the 17 left.

Start consistently producing 3 or 4 first grade standard players a year & it doesn't take long & you cant fit them all no matter how much the cap is. As long as we keep what we really need to run out the best 17 we can then we are in a better position than those coming in with big bucks for the ones that dont fit the 17. A lot of it is just timing on who will stay & go. Swap Burton & Luai around in age & I have no doubt it's Luai wearing blue & white next year.

Timing is definitely massive part of it. Also sometimes we will just have to keep the ones who are willing to extend early like Martin or knock back bigger money like Staines.

franklin2323

Immortal
Timing is definitely massive part of it. Also sometimes we will just have to keep the ones who are willing to extend early like Martin or knock back bigger money like Staines.

Timing is the huge issue. Now is the time to be off contract too many shit teams wanting to easy way out... Going to love the dumpster fires it will cause

franklin2323

Immortal

Too many teams look for the quick fix...Very rarely works but they still try

WestyLife

First Grade
Simple just increase the long serving player allowance. Give Yeo free money and use the extra to pay Lenui. Burton to dogs, Luarie to Tigers and we keep Crichton/Lenui. Seems balanced.

Jane Murray

Bench

Exactly.

The Teach

Juniors

Great post. I, along with many others in here, have argued that there should be some sort of concession in the salary cap for players debuting from a club's junior league, and a lesser concession for players not developed but still debuting.

For example, perhaps if a player is a junior from under 14s or 16s for Penrith he should get a 10% concession on his salary from the cap, and once he debuts that should rise to 15-20%. That would give incentive for clubs to develop their own juniors and put them in a better position to retain them at contract negotiations. A player who comes to a club but hasn't come through that pathway, for example kiks who if memory serves came here at 18, should he debut gets a 10% instant concession through the salary cap.

Just my idea and I know it would be difficult but there needs to be rewards for clubs to develop juniors.

MugaB

Coach
Great post. I, along with many others in here, have argued that there should be some sort of concession in the salary cap for players debuting from a club's junior league, and a lesser concession for players not developed but still debuting.

For example, perhaps if a player is a junior from under 14s or 16s for Penrith he should get a 10% concession on his salary from the cap, and once he debuts that should rise to 15-20%. That would give incentive for clubs to develop their own juniors and put them in a better position to retain them at contract negotiations. A player who comes to a club but hasn't come through that pathway, for example kiks who if memory serves came here at 18, should he debut gets a 10% instant concession through the salary cap.

Just my idea and I know it would be difficult but there needs to be rewards for clubs to develop juniors.
It will NEVER HAPPEN... as long as uncle Nick Politis exists, and the roosters 4 club (yes only 4 junior clubs)
Catchment to choose from, any idealistic and really sensible idea to reward clubs who produce talent at a level as good and vast as ours, won't happen.
Its the politics of Rugba leg...
And uncle nick buys what he wants,
Im not afraid of clubs like the bulldogs buying our depth players coz they aren't in our top17, but eventually could be.. but won't coz they aren't with us no more..

I worry about roosters stealing our actual top17, Stephen Crichton could have already signed with them for 2023 and we wouldn't find out till next year.

That club is ruthless, and constantly targeting the best of the west, coz they cannot produce themselves, I've been saying for years, they should be relocated to Adelaide, and build a junior base there for themselves and also a fan base with a city of 1.5 million to themselves, same colors as the ex-rams, already play there once a year, it should stop this all this stealing, they offer Zero to the Sydney catchments, and junior participation, and only serve themselves, Souths basically Is Sydney City, there's no need for that club to be in Sydney, they could be on the Fkn moon and still operate the same way

hindy111

Post Whore
The Panthers has spent time, and money, in training the players, only for them to signed by other teams, that is wrong. Maybe the teams, who does this a lot, should either compensate the clubs who produces these players, or the NRL should. Better still they should ensure their own junior base is strong.

Penrith juniors covers a large area and also an area where kids play rugby league. So do a few other clubs.
But reality is there are sides where in there areas it's less likely for kids to play rugby league and just bot as many kids population wise.
Add in the fa t that Western Sydneys population is growing rapidly every year. That means more and more juniors.
A lot of other clubs in Sydney have a stable population. Of course more of your juniors will be poached.

hindy111

Post Whore
Like running second after winning 17 straight?

Perhaps the NRL needs to mandate that every club has to do a certain amount of development or else face a cap penalty. It remains to be seen whether this works out for the Bulldogs, in any case. They've bought big, but they've bought desperate and paid overs, the club is as dysfunctional as ever and they're still favourites for the spoon.

My opinion is 3yr MAX rookie contracts like Nfl and Nba. Perhaps at 400k.
And if come through the junior ranks you get a 25% compensation to that player. It would give you a great chance of keeping then for their first 3yrs of NRL.

Bob

Juniors
Penrith juniors covers a large area and also an area where kids play rugby league. So do a few other clubs.
But reality is there are sides where in there areas it's less likely for kids to play rugby league and just bot as many kids population wise.
Add in the fa t that Western Sydneys population is growing rapidly every year. That means more and more juniors.
A lot of other clubs in Sydney have a stable population. Of course more of your juniors will be poached.
That's why each club SHOULD be allocated an area in their state that they HAVE to implement pathways, development, coaching clinics etc like we do for the central west, Gus set up academies in Bathurst, Dubbo, Forbes and Parkes

Jane Murray

Bench
That's why each club SHOULD be allocated an area in their state that they HAVE to implement pathways, development, coaching clinics etc like we do for the central west, Gus set up academies in Bathurst, Dubbo, Forbes and Parkes

Aren't these clinics being wound down thanks to the cornavirus pandemic?

soc123_au

Staff member
It will NEVER HAPPEN... as long as uncle Nick Politis exists, and the roosters 4 club (yes only 4 junior clubs)
Catchment to choose from, any idealistic and really sensible idea to reward clubs who produce talent at a level as good and vast as ours, won't happen.
Its the politics of Rugba leg...
And uncle nick buys what he wants,
Im not afraid of clubs like the bulldogs buying our depth players coz they aren't in our top17, but eventually could be.. but won't coz they aren't with us no more..

I worry about roosters stealing our actual top17, Stephen Crichton could have already signed with them for 2023 and we wouldn't find out till next year.

That club is ruthless, and constantly targeting the best of the west, coz they cannot produce themselves, I've been saying for years, they should be relocated to Adelaide, and build a junior base there for themselves and also a fan base with a city of 1.5 million to themselves, same colors as the ex-rams, already play there once a year, it should stop this all this stealing, they offer Zero to the Sydney catchments, and junior participation, and only serve themselves, Souths basically Is Sydney City, there's no need for that club to be in Sydney, they could be on the Fkn moon and still operate the same way

Roosters are a poor example for your point imo. It's all good fun to have a dig at their sombrero, but they are bloody good at developing NRL players from young talent. You are right that their traditional catchment is small, but they pick up kids from wherever & turn them into great players. Just in their current squad off the top of my head, Toupo, Manu, Friend, Radley, Verrils, STT, Collins, Cordner etc. They may not have all come from their tiny catchment, but what they do for the most part is no different to us picking up JFH from NZ when we did. Add in players like Latrell & RTS as current top liners that came through there.

They are just better than most at filling the gaps with freaks like Cronk & Tedesco when needed. Parra & the Dogs are the main culprits lately of going after established players over giving a kid a chance.

soc123_au

Staff member
Yeah, you cant control what other clubs will be willing to pay. Sometimes it pays off like Ponga at Newcastle or it can go the other way like Milford, Bird & Hunt. I'd rather the club knows when to draw a line & say goodbye & good luck. It's still the right model moving forward, I have no doubt we have Martin, Toó, Staines & JFH among others locked away at a cheaper price than other clubs would be willing to pay. So even with a few painful losses it's a better way than the mess other clubs are in trying to buy whatever they can. Also it's not like we dont ever do it when needed, I'm pretty sure the Cowboys would have loved to have kept Kikau, but with where they were at the time they couldn't match what we offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.