What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree with both of you.
I have the same thoughts and hear the same arguments from Gould about our roster being too young and how this years premiers were going to be a side that had won a Grand final in the past 5 years who were well stock with experience.
Then he moves on the above players and now Merrin to balance the cap and keep younger promising talent. Which is fine because we need to keep these guys but there are occasions when the ledger needs to be balance with outsiders coming in.
At this stage (apart from Grant) no players that have been bought to address our experience shortfall from this years squad.
Gould keeps his cards close to chest and usually does the opposite of what he tweets. The other day he said for 2020 we will recruit from within.
By 2020 Maloney, Tamou and probably McKendry could be gone. Further depleting our experience.
I understand that some of the players we have now in 12 months time will gain more experience but heading into next year I feel we are short.

17 spots. 24 rounds. Makes it 408 games experience to come from this season coming. That cancels out what Maloney/Tamou bring when they go. That is the issue from the last few years and why we sit where we are

Panther Mick

Juniors
Wayne Bennett blasts speculation regarding Rabbitohs recruitment
November 02, 2018
A FURIOUS Wayne Bennett has slammed suggestions he is acting as a double agent by attempting to recruit Trent Merrin for South Sydney while still working for the Broncos.

The super coach was on Friday buffeted by explosive allegations he was in secret talks with Merrin to deliver the Penrith forward to the Rabbitohs, whom Bennett will join on a two-year deal from 2020.

But Bennett has set the record straight, vehemently denying he is attempting to actively recruit players for his future employer Souths while still being paid a $900,000 salary by the Broncos.

The Redfern-bound Bennett said Merrin, whom he coached in the Dragons’ premiership season in 2010, rang him pleading for help after being told he was unwanted by the Panthers.

“It is ridiculous. I am not recruiting for Souths or anybody else,” Bennett said from England, where he is preparing the British team for their second Test against New Zealand at Anfield on Sunday.

“No-one else has bothered to contact me to find out the truth.

“Trent Merrin contacted me last Sunday and said he was being pushed out of Penrith and they had a deal for him to play in England for the next few years.

“I’ve got a good relationship with Trent. I’ve known him since he was a young kid at the Dragons and we’ve always kept in touch.

“Trent rang me. I didn’t go chasing him.

“Trent said he would prefer not to go to England and he rang me looking for advice and asked if there was anything I could do.

“I rate Trent as a player and if the Broncos needed a forward, I would have signed him, but we have plenty of good forwards at the club already.

“I said in regards to Souths, I have no idea what their salary cap situation is and how they are placed with middle forwards.

“I didn’t even know Trent had a problem at Penrith, so to be accused of trying to recruit players for my next club is simply wrong.”

Even if Bennett was acting in good faith, the Merrin saga can be viewed as compelling evidence as to why his and Anthony Seibold’s respective tenures at Brisbane and Souths next season are untenable.

It is understood the Broncos face an estimated $400,000 compensation payout should they broker a straight swap and release Bennett immediately to the Rabbitohs in 2019.

Bennett has told Broncos players he will honour his 2019 contract and assured Brisbane bosses he is not interested in recruiting for Souths.

“Stuff like this (Merrin ringing him) happens all the time,” Bennett said.

“Ask any coach in the game. As a coaches we always get calls from guys at different clubs looking for advice or a possible spot if they are struggling ... this is not a one-off situation.

“Penrith should be answering questions about Trent, not me.”
https://outline.com/DkAJrh
Every Test, ODI & T20I live, ad-break free during play and in 4K. Only on Foxtel. SIGN UP TODAY!

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
We are definitely pushing Merrin out for cap reasons. I think we are probably overpaying a few of our home grown players.

A prop rotation of RCG, Tamou, Leota and Grant is weak as f**k.

Panther Mick

Juniors
We are definitely pushing Merrin out for cap reasons. I think we are probably overpaying a few of our home grown players.

I agree and going by Gould's tweets (never wise) it appears Hetherington will be getting a bigger opportunity next year. If Tamou or RCG suffer a long term injury we will be up the creek with half a paddle.

franklin2323

Immortal

Gus said in a podcast. We don't pay minimum wage to any player. Isn't that the best thing about having rookies. Getting them a few years for cheap.

Grant won't be in that Rotation. It will be Hetherington

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I would hope so but I doubt it.

I tend to agree. I said earlier perhaps Latu would be brought back on a smaller deal. I think the suits at Penrith have high hopes for Jack in 2019. He reminds me of Geyer at his young rawboned best. he's a lunatic, but I think that is the attraction too.

Could be someone like Pau come in (plays prop) numbers don't look too bad,

franklin2323

Immortal
I tend to agree. I said earlier perhaps Latu would be brought back on a smaller deal. I think the suits at Penrith have high hopes for Jack in 2019. He reminds me of Geyer at his young rawboned best. he's a lunatic, but I think that is the attraction too.

This bloke from Souths does he play upfront ?

Nah he would be a like for like for CHN. bench backrow/Centre. Good signing in that regard

Panther Mick

Juniors

This bloke from Souths does he play upfront ?

Fuimaono was a Centre and 2nd rower at Souths

Status
Not open for further replies.