What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Good post and you make perfect sense. All of the above benefits the West’s Tigers and while Josh leaving frees up $400K we still have fo find adequate replacements.

Sadly i do think a deal will be done for Mansour to go to the Tigers but at the same time who are we going to recruit as a replacement. I say that knowing his money may be spent elsewhere not just an outside back.

I’m just not sure replacing Josh Mansour is as simple as some may think. His overall value to the team and club has seem,s to be much undervalued.

I truly believe we will miss what Josh Mansour delivers in 2021. I hope I’m wrong because obviously he wont be here his contributions in 2020 we’re definitely undervalued in my opinion.

Mansour may be on $400k but he is effectively a reserve grader now. We can get a few decent depth guys with that and the $350k Tetevano was on

ACTPanthers

Bench
Sorry I would have replied sooner. I had an operation late last night. It was a rush job before Christmas.

Great news Spencer has re-signed. I did say the club had a card still to play 6 weeks ago. It wasn't just increasing their original offer. Those boys are tight. Crichton, To'o, and Luia.
I don't know what the exact figure was but it was a decent upgrade from our original offer. We didn't overpay. Credit for Spencer for staying for less. The money the Dogs threw at him was ridiculous.

Merry Christmas all. I am off for a break. I need it after last night.
Hope you're ok and on the mend brother - Merry Christmas to you and yours

maple_69

Bench
If we can ship Mansour and bring Cini back I think our depth chart is fine. I reckon Brendan Elliot would be a solid option for cheap though. Wont do anything special and won’t be fit until May or so but is reliable.

Our NSW Cup backline would be Laurie, Jennings, Cini, Whare, Elliot

Isn’t the 2021 Cini/Laurie trade currently hinging on the Tigers taking Sauce also? I dunno what the Tigers cap situation is but they could use both guys.

1. Mbye 2. Momirovski 3. Roberts 4. BJ Leilua 5. Nofoaluma
OR
1. Laurie 2. Mansour 3. Roberts 4. BJ/Mbye/Momirovski 5. Nofoaluma

The latter looks like it could be a pretty bloody good backline.
Our cap is sensational, we yet again, have plenty of money with absolutely no one to buy! Mansour is an option, but he wants 3 years and the club is only willing for 2. The big question is why would you tie Mansour to a Laurie/Cini trade? Ivan has reached a new low. Why punish Laurie and Mansour because the club has salary cap issues. Remember, it’s neither players fault! Also, if Mansour comes next year it will be expected Penrith covers close to half of the 2021 bill! Oh, and if Nofo doesn’t sign for 2022 then that makes Mansour a better option.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Our cap is sensational, we yet again, have plenty of money with absolutely no one to buy! Mansour is an option, but he wants 3 years and the club is only willing for 2. The big question is why would you tie Mansour to a Laurie/Cini trade? Ivan has reached a new low. Why punish Laurie and Mansour because the club has salary cap issues. Remember, it’s neither players fault!

12 Months ago Laurie would've been over the moon to be a development player, now we are punishing him? Piss off.

I dont think they are tied. As our CEO said, they arent going to release Laurie or Burton early without a trade that was beneficial to us so basically if you want Laurie we are going to bend you over. Pascoe the whinging bitch can pay up.

Jane Murray

Bench
Our cap is sensational, we yet again, have plenty of money with absolutely no one to buy! Mansour is an option, but he wants 3 years and the club is only willing for 2. The big question is why would you tie Mansour to a Laurie/Cini trade? Ivan has reached a new low. Why punish Laurie and Mansour because the club has salary cap issues. Remember, it’s neither players fault! Also, if Mansour comes next year it will be expected Penrith covers close to half of the 2021 bill!
So, in your opinion, Ivan has reached a new low, can you elaborate? Also, Laurie is still on the books, and Mansour is too. Laurie will be a tiger in 2022, and Mansour, who knows. They are not being punished.

12 Months ago Laurie would've been over the moon to be a development player, now we are punishing him? Piss off.

I dont think they are tied. As our CEO said, they arent going to release Laurie or Burton early without a trade that was beneficial to us so basically if you want Laurie we are going to bend you over. Pascoe the whinging bitch can pay up.
I’m referring to keeping a development player to develop for a year before he leaves. I really don’t care if he comes for 2021 or not. Ivan is stopping a development player (who is leaving next year) from an opportunity to play 1st grade elsewhere, plus the money that goes with that. Why tie Mansour to the swap with Cini? We aren’t talking about Burton who is in your 30 and next in line in the halves.

Whino

Bench
Our cap is sensational, we yet again, have plenty of money with absolutely no one to buy! Mansour is an option, but he wants 3 years and the club is only willing for 2. The big question is why would you tie Mansour to a Laurie/Cini trade? Ivan has reached a new low. Why punish Laurie and Mansour because the club has salary cap issues. Remember, it’s neither players fault! Also, if Mansour comes next year it will be expected Penrith covers close to half of the 2021 bill!

It is just business. A case of who blinks first.
The Tigers need Laurie more than us. We hold all the chips on Laurie. The Tigers have to come up with an attractive offer that benefits us. Mansour is just an addition to the trade (if that is correct) To see how keen the Tigers are on getting Laurie to the club. If the Tigers are desperate they will come knocking, if not then maybe the terms change.
The longer clubs hold off on Mansour the more we pay his 2021 salary. Contracts start November 1. We will no doubt pay a couple of months before he goes and then whatever deal another club wants to take him.

So, in your opinion, Ivan has reached a new low, can you elaborate? Also, Laurie is still on the books, and Mansour is too. Laurie will be a tiger in 2022, and Mansour, who knows. They are not being punished.
Laurie, to his credit, is not whinging. My point is why tie Mansour to the swap? Mansour deserves a lot more respect than that. Ivan is a disgrace.

betcats

Referee
Laurie, to his credit, is not whinging. My point is why tie Mansour to the swap? Mansour deserves a lot more respect than that. Ivan is a disgrace.

How do you know it is tied to it?

Laurie isn't whinging cause he is happy to be here. Its the tigers who think we need to release him from a contract in 2021 just because he signed elsewhere in 2022.

It seems like you and the dogs have both planned on getting an easy release for Laurie and Burton but neither player seems to upset by the prospect of being at Penrith in 2021 so why would we give them up easily? Burton we definitely need and Laurie will be very handy to have available in june or july whenever it is.

hindy111

Post Whore
Agreed, but Salmon is not a serious option and Burns has played 30 or so NRL games in four seasons without ever really proving he is quite up to it. Yes we need a few depth signings but Burns would want ,more than minimum wage and given his injuries and other issues I’m sure we could do better for less money.

Your cap is kind of full and so is your top 17 bar maybe Nadens spot and a bench spot. So your choices to fill the final spots are these as need to be cheap and close to min wage.

A- Journeymen who are experienced.
B- Promote a junior in system
C - A young player cut from another club with potential
D- A guy with talent who has had injury concerns or mental ones
E- A guy with talent who has had troubles with the LAW.

So these are your options. You can grab a few journeymen who are the safest bet. They can fill in when needed and can be relied on. And can be kept for a few years without effecting the cap.
Promoting a junior is fine if they are ready and seen as future first graders.
The other options are the riskiest but have the highest reward. And are short term options cause if they do pay off then they'll want the upgrade.

I think all options are fine when your a strong club. You can afford to take riskier options also. None are going to hurt your cap for the season.
So guys like Burns and Salmon would be fun options imo. Neither costs a lot. Both could break out and be exceptional.

betcats

Referee
As far as Sauce is concerned it seems like if he wants a release he will get it. He has made it clear he wants out, if we are trying to offload him to the tigers that would be giving him what he wants you idiot @Disillusioned Tiger . Though it is not confirmed he is part of any deal.

Jane Murray

Bench
Your cap is kind of full and so is your top 17 bar maybe Nadens spot and a bench spot. So your choices to fill the final spots are these as need to be cheap and close to min wage.

A- Journeymen who are experienced.
B- Promote a junior in system
C - A young player cut from another club with potential
D- A guy with talent who has had injury concerns or mental ones
E- A guy with talent who has had troubles with the LAW.

So these are your options. You can grab a few journeymen who are the safest bet. They can fill in when needed and can be relied on. And can be kept for a few years without effecting the cap.
Promoting a junior is fine if they are ready and seen as future first graders.
The other options are the riskiest but have the highest reward. And are short term options cause if they do pay off then they'll want the upgrade.

I think all options are fine when your a strong club. You can afford to take riskier options also. None are going to hurt your cap for the season.
So guys like Burns and Salmon would be fun options imo. Neither costs a lot. Both could break out and be exceptional.

You have got zero idea about the cap situation, and never does any fans.

hindy111

Post Whore
Jaemon Salmon played mostly halves in first grade shots but tbf he was a centre.

He also trained as a centre a lot at the Eels. But keep in mind they preferred to sign up Oldfield and Opacic as back up's. Maybe he wanted too much or perhaps they don't see him making it.

hindy111

Post Whore
You have got zero idea about the cap situation, and never does any fans.

Fact is your correct.I have no idea.
But it makes sense to look at a side on paper and come to the conclusion of how much coin would be spare. I couldn't pin point it to a dime.
You have Whare who would be on top 17 money not in start squad. 2 guys at Eels being paid. Potential chip in for Mansour who is still under contract. If I had to guess I would say 800k is being chewed up there. Add a heap of upgrades and I imagine things would be quite tight.
But yes you did cut Tamou. And if Mansour goes between the two I feel that's 1.2 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts