What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
Will bite us just as badly as screwing around Wade Graham did. Absolutely filthy with the way the club treated Austin. Considering the supposed focus on the talent within the club, there's very little being done to develop first graders. We seem more interested in journeymen and fringe first graders then backing local talents.

I can see Bryce Cartright being treated the same in a few years. How higly they are rated seems irrelevant. It seems we are happy to develop them to an above average NSW Cup standard, then throw them away when they are NRL ready.

soc123_au

Staff member
Best of luck to Blake at the Tigers, I am dissapointed he didn't get much of a go with us. In saying that I am 50/50 on whether he will be another Wade Graham or a Masada Iosefa. If it came down to keeping him and missing out on Peachey I think the correct decision was made.

Big Mick

Referee
Ultimately he was pretty injury prone and he is likely going to be a good player going forward but next year when you have a stack of really good backrowers I just don't see where he fits in.

I hope he has a bit of luck with injuries and goes on to have a successful career. I'm obviously disappointed to lose him as I like Blake as a player and I really hope he kicks on at the Tigers and becomes a very good player. I think the move is the best for player and club. For the club it free's up a bit more cap room and for the player it allows him the opportunity to play first grade which he likely would not have done here if not for injuries.

MX I can't disagree with you more about Bryce. They wanted to put him up this year if not for the 2nd tier. I firmly believe and have been told as such that they are wanting him as part of the future. I still believe there is a focus on juniors as we've seen a stack of them re-sign this year...but we can't keep them all and if it comes down to him or Peachy & Taylor....I'll take Peachy and Taylor.

You can't honestly suggest that for 2014 that all we've signed are journeyman and fringe first graders who will be taking Blake's spot? It may be the case this year but ultimately every time he's had a shot he's gotten injured...it is just unfortunate.

betcats

Referee
Will bite us just as badly as screwing around Wade Graham did. Absolutely filthy with the way the club treated Austin. Considering the supposed focus on the talent within the club, there's very little being done to develop first graders. We seem more interested in journeymen and fringe first graders then backing local talents.

I can see Bryce Cartright being treated the same in a few years. How higly they are rated seems irrelevant. It seems we are happy to develop them to an above average NSW Cup standard, then throw them away when they are NRL ready.

Lol settle down mate there are only so many spots in a footy team, Blake spent a lot of the year injured unfortunately, he is probably being let go because of the development of Bryce.

Is moving the u/20s coach up to coach our NSW cup side as well as giving 20s players a stint in in NSW cup not a move to develop FGers? What else should we be doing? What do other clubs do to develop First Graders?

Parra have blooded a lot of u/20s players in FG over the last two years, how are they doing?

Your comments about how Bryce will be treated are ridiculous and just a reaction to some bad news.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Always disappointing to lose a talented youngster who we have developed through our junior ranks.

Disappointing neither Seijka or Austin has kicked on a we had all hoped and Blake in particular has suffered a few injuries which did his cause no good.

You got the feeling he was going to need a change of club to try and get his career back on track so I hope this move works out for him. I am not sure where he fits in with the Tigers plans for him so it will be interesting to see.

Anyway good luck for the future Blake wish you all the best.

ACTPanthers

Bench
You can understand the frustration of some fans though - The loss of a fan favourite junior is always going to be hard to swallow - All the best to Blake - It's a shame he never got a good run in FG

betcats

Referee
You can understand the frustration of some fans though - The loss of a fan favourite junior is always going to be hard to swallow - All the best to Blake - It's a shame he never got a good run in FG

I understand the frustration, even feel it.

But due to injuries and perhaps poor management he never really lived up to the hype.

Most think he is a backrower, its unlikely he would get a spot in our backrow or bench next season especially with Bryce coming through who is no doubt going to be a better player, Sika, Taylor, Brown, Robinson, we have FG backrowers aswell as Cherrington, VTK..he was going to struggle for a spot.

I would of liked to see him get a run in the halves but it seems for whatever reason that wasn't to be.

Goodluck to him, I think he will become a good FG if he gets the right run.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee

100% mate. I'm gutted too.

But at the end of the day it is the best thing for the player imo as he probably wasn't going to get a shot given our backrower stocks.

I'd love to be selfish and say "No I want to keep em all". But that unfortunately isn't reality.

murraymob

Coach
finding it hard to beleive the negative comments about Blake he has more talent than the majority of our forward pack right now.You are not going to win a comp or even make the 8 on fringe first graders simple fact
The 5 year plan is flawed if we lose the very players who will be there in the 5 years time.Do we keep buying second rowers and hope they turn into skillfull players

ACTPanthers

Bench
100% mate. I'm gutted too.

But at the end of the day it is the best thing for the player imo as he probably wasn't going to get a shot given our backrower stocks.

I'd love to be selfish and say "No I want to keep em all". But that unfortunately isn't reality.

I see where you're coming from mate - Sometimes emotions get the better of fans.... *Guilty*

franklin2323

Immortal

Yep. I can though it's better directed at the coaching staff then Blake.

Pretty much a team of imports. Though he was an Australian schoolboy in a position we have lacked players for a few years. So makes it harder.

Even if he's too slow he has the size for the backrow & far better then 3-4 to have played over him.

Big Mick

Referee
finding it hard to beleive the negative comments about Blake he has more talent than the majority of our forward pack right now.You are not going to win a comp or even make the 8 on fringe first graders simple fact
The 5 year plan is flawed if we lose the very players who will be there in the 5 years time.Do we keep buying second rowers and hope they turn into skillfull players

8. Tim Grant
9. Kevin Kingston
10. Brent Kite
11. Lewis Brown
12. Sika Manu
13. Elijah Taylor

14. James Segeyaro
15. Sam McKendry
16. Nigel Plum
17. Adam Docker/Tyrone Peachy/Matt Robinson/Anthony Cherrington/Bryce Cartwright

Where exactly are the fringe first graders in this starting pack Mob? Even the bench would have players who would start elsewhere.

Throw in guys like Ethan Cook, VTK etc and where does Blake fit in exactly?

You can make the argument that Kite is old but he is only here two years on a heavily front-loaded contract with Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Chris Smith hot on his heels as they develop over the next 1-2 years and they will likely replace Plum and Kite by 2015 or 2016...so the progression plan is there...So don't understand how you could say it is flawed when we have retained about 8 juniors this year who are of high quality and to date have let 1 go.

Don't think there are negative comments about Blake...it is just the reality. He's struggled to be fit the last two years and based on who we will have from 2014 onwards, he doesn't represent value to keep him at Windsor nor is it beneficial for the player to maximize his earnings potential. Everyone wishes the kid got more of a shot but ultimately we all wish him the best at the Tigers and hope he kills it.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
MX I can't disagree with you more about Bryce.

Wish I had that confidence. Gus doesn't like debuting in a losing team. Cleary doesn't make changes unless injuries strike. Then things like re-signing Kingston put someone else in the way.

We have 14 FG ready players this week easy to get an exemption if they wanted. Lets be honest home game we are expected to lose is a pretty sweet time to debut someone.

As for contracts. Whether I agree or not in the last 2 years we have released:

Jennings,
Lewis,
Burns,
Walsh,
Siejka,
Masoe,
Pangai.
Weston.
Austin.
So means contracts mean nothing

Pomoz

Bench
As for contracts. Whether I agree or not in the last 2 years we have released:

Jennings,
Lewis,
Burns,
Walsh,
Siejka,
Masoe,
Pangai.
Weston.
Austin.
So means contracts mean nothing
Don't forget Lewis, Seijka and Masoe asked for a release, but I get your point. However, it is not strictly true. If a player has a contract and doesn't want to go, they can enforce the contract and Penrith will have to keep them and pay them. The reality is that most people don't stay somewhere they are not wanted. Its the same when a player asks to leave. The club can enforce the contract but the reality is, who wants to keep an unhappy player?

People often get up in arms when contracts are discussed on this forum "contracts are pointless, we should enforce them etc". How many people here who have a job will stay somewhere when they are unhappy? Or get offered more money? Or want to move for family reasons? What does a business do if its losing money, or an employee is under performing?

There are many valid reasons contracts are not enforced. Contracts are an agreement made between two parties at a moment in time. Things change and the agreement needs to be renegotiated, it doesn't mean either party are doing anything wrong.

mxlegend99

Referee
Exactly.

I'm filthy because the club has treated him like shit., He was our next big thing, looked pretty good in his limited first grade time. Looked like a f**king machine at NSW Cup level. But some how was behind the likes of Humble, John, Simpkins, Smith, Ciraldo, Newton etc. even when healthy.

While he was fit, he was a better option then atleast 2 or 3 players each week. But he was overlooked despite being the best at Windsor, and our team losing games with multiple blokes nowhere near first grade worthy, and certainly not worthy of being ahead of him in the pecking order.

Blake Austin isn't the first promising player to be treated this way. To get a crack at first grade, and look like they are more then capable of playing there. Then suddenly thrown on the scrap heap and having next to no chance at making it back there at our club. Why the hell would we re-sign Kevin Kingston ahead of Blake Austin? Why would we select all those Knights rejects ahead of him?

I don't think he would be part of our full strength line-up in 2014... but only because he hasn't be given a decent chance to prove himself in first grade and fully develop into the player he was capable of being. I would have much rathered keep him around next season and given him a fair crack when we almost certainly pick up an injury or 10. He would easily be as good as any of our 5/8 options next season. Would be one of the first depth players for a backrow spot.

It might seem a bit extreme to suggest the same could happen to Bryce Cartright. But 2/3 years ago everyone would think it was crazy to think Blake Austin could end up being treated this way and being behind so many shit players.

Pomoz

Bench
Exactly.

I'm filthy because the club has treated him like shit., He was our next big thing, looked pretty good in his limited first grade time. Looked like a f**king machine at NSW Cup level. But some how was behind the likes of Humble, John, Simpkins, Smith, Ciraldo, Newton etc. even when healthy.
It might seem a bit extreme to suggest the same could happen to Bryce Cartright. But 2/3 years ago everyone would think it was crazy to think Blake Austin could end up being treated this way and being behind so many shit players.
I can see your angry, but Blake has had a string of injuries that have prevented him from playing first grade. I tend to take the view that the coach wants to win as many games as possible and as such will always pick who he thinks are the best players. I don't buy the line that Ivan has overlooked him for matters other than talent and picked inferior players. That doesn't make any logical sense. Why would he pick inferior players intentionally? Ivan wants to win, his job depends on it.

There are many factors that make a good team and attitude is one of them. Maybe Blake has a big ego or is a bad trainer, or doesn't follow game plans. Maybe there is a view that Blakes injuries are a result of bad lifestyle, or not enough effort in the gym to build his body. Who knows? The coach sees far more than we can and is in the best position to make the call. Either way, I wish him all the best, but I am not sure heading to the Tigers is a good move. The place seems to be in turmoil with the club likely to hire yet another coach. On the plus side, as the saying goes "a change is as good as a rest" and maybe this move will revitalise him.

franklin2323

Immortal
that the coach wants to win as many games as possible

Of course no one likes losing. Though it seems like we find ways to keep kids out rather then find ways to play them. Always been the case as long as I can remember (can only remember Royce onwards).

We had juniors at some stage. we won all 3 lower grades in 2007.

Take Moylan. 90% of us had him as our best FB. He was 1st in Windsor player of the year. So had form.

Yet despite a huge injury toll. Playing Parra at home still asked Jim Jones if he was right to go. Even then not sure was the answer.

Similar situation with VTK this week. A month of good form. Finals gone. 14 fit FT players. No one expects us to win. Nothing to lose yet nothing.

As for contracts of course. Take Walsh (Agree he should go) the club publicly chasing every half in the comp. Days in 1st grade numbered you look elsewhere.

darkbloom

Juniors
Don't forget Lewis, Seijka and Masoe asked for a release, but I get your point. However, it is not strictly true. If a player has a contract and doesn't want to go, they can enforce the contract and Penrith will have to keep them and pay them. The reality is that most people don't stay somewhere they are not wanted. Its the same when a player asks to leave. The club can enforce the contract but the reality is, who wants to keep an unhappy player?

In the case of Lewis it is not strictly true. The club wanted him gone and made sure that he was unhappy. There are two sides to that one and the neither side is completely innocent but if he club wanted him he would still be pulling on the black.

The player can enforce a contract but in reality who wants to stay in a place they are not wanted.

On Blake, this release is probably best for both parties but it does raise questions about recruitment and retention.

The list looks good I guess but so far it has produced only potential.

Nothing more, so far.

Crowds are down, results are poor, memberships are down and the financials this year will show a record loss for the club. Gus mentioned a figure of $5m in his column the other day. To be fair it was a general statement but I think it was based on the Panthers situation.

The one thing that is up is optimism.

To me the team looks like it is performing better and looks more like it could become a winning team but it hash;t happened yet.

So the question in my mind is whether the recruitment and retention is really working. And the Blake Austin thing makes me wonder even more.

I guess we wont know for sure for another couple of years.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
I don't think he would be part of our full strength line-up in 2014... but only because he hasn't be given a decent chance to prove himself in first grade and fully develop into the player he was capable of being. I would have much rathered keep him around next season and given him a fair crack when we almost certainly pick up an injury or 10. He would easily be as good as any of our 5/8 options next season. Would be one of the first depth players for a backrow spot.

But therein is the problem.

YOU would rather keep him...as would I

But WE don't have a choice in the matter. If Blake found it better to sign with the Tigers and requested as such as he thought it would be his better opportunity to start...why should we just hold him back. Even you admitted he wouldn't be part of our full strength line up in 2014.

Believe it or not...some players are not content to just be depth players and held by a team because fans like them or content to wait for injuries to happen. They need to maximize their earnings any way possible in a short amount of time.

At the end of the day we can all be filthy, and we are...but when you look at what is best for Blake and his young family...it is the right move.

Status
Not open for further replies.