What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
This is the LU thread of Panthers afterdark perhaps ?

Kat Graham Christmas GIF by GIF Registry

soc123_au

Staff member
You have to be sick and twisted to follow Penrith as long as Soc has I like him as well lol
It's my Mums fault. Tigers were the first team I remember liking, cause Tigers are awesome. Then all the other kids were Parra fans so I wanted in on that. It would have been 1980 or 81 and I finally talked Mum into getting me a Jersey. We went down to Venture on High St and I'm grabbing for the Parra one to try on.

Mum grabs a Penrith one, and offers it up. I'm like no thanks, dont want that poo coloured thing. SHe then tells me a story that Parra are going to change their colours from blue & gold to pink and purple, and the Eels mascot is going to be a wooden spoon. (Had no idea what the wooden spoon was back then) Now my Mum is an honest woman so of course I believed her. I desperately wanted a Jersey so Penrith it was.

Parra went on to win the next 3 comps in blue and gold and as Eels.

Probaly a few weeks after I got my Jersey I was at the Plaza with Dad on a saturday morning. We called into Mick Simmons and a young Royce Simmons was there. I still remember getting his autograph on a card and him chatting to me about if I played. I'll never forget how genuine he was and I felt like I had made a friend. From that moment on I was always going to be a Panther for life. Brandy hitting the scene a few years later didn't hurt either. Used to see him a bit when he first started at Stafford St shops

Still the only time my Mum has lied to me I reckon. Turns out it was a good one.

Pomoz

Bench
It's my Mums fault. Tigers were the first team I remember liking, cause Tigers are awesome. Then all the other kids were Parra fans so I wanted in on that. It would have been 1980 or 81 and I finally talked Mum into getting me a Jersey. We went down to Venture on High St and I'm grabbing for the Parra one to try on.

Mum grabs a Penrith one, and offers it up. I'm like no thanks, dont want that poo coloured thing. SHe then tells me a story that Parra are going to change their colours from blue & gold to pink and purple, and the Eels mascot is going to be a wooden spoon. (Had no idea what the wooden spoon was back then) Now my Mum is an honest woman so of course I believed her. I desperately wanted a Jersey so Penrith it was.

Parra went on to win the next 3 comps in blue and gold and as Eels.

Probaly a few weeks after I got my Jersey I was at the Plaza with Dad on a saturday morning. We called into Mick Simmons and a young Royce Simmons was there. I still remember getting his autograph on a card and him chatting to me about if I played. I'll never forget how genuine he was and I felt like I had made a friend. From that moment on I was always going to be a Panther for life. Brandy hitting the scene a few years later didn't hurt either. Used to see him a bit when he first started at Stafford St shops

Still the only time my Mum has lied to me I reckon. Turns out it was a good one.
Brilliant story, love it! The personal connection if you meet a player makes such a difference.

Brandy made me a Panther for life. As a new immigrant in 1988 who had never watched a single game of league in my life, I just went to watch the local team play out of curiosity. Soccer was (still is really) so bad in Australia I couldn't stomach watching it, so off I went to Penrith Park. Even as a complete newbie it was obvious to me that Brandy was special, all grace, speed and vision. I was hooked and what made it even more personal was the fact you could bump into players in the town. Freddie in K Mart Nepean Square (cocky bugger and built like a brick sh*thouse even at 17), Brad Izzard in the cocktail bar at Panthers, MG in the Panthers nightclub drunker than a sailor on shore leave. Then about a year and a half later, Brandy moved in two doors away from me on Castlereagh Street. He had a lot of visitors, some times, not often though, they were men, just sayin......

That was me sold. My town, my team, warts and all. Wooden spoons, poo coloured jerseys (not for too long thankfully), mediocrity, all of it, but it was my team and I loved them and still do.

To be honest, I am still waiting for the alarm clock to go off and to wake up and find the three premierships are a dream and we have three wooden spoons. Our halfback is an ex St George Flegg player with dodgy hamstrings that prevent him from running, our fullback is Neil Baker's son and when the ball goes in the air the Pacific Islanders in the team gather in a circle and pray. Our hooker is a former Dogs NSW Cup legend, the five eighth is a reformed drug dealer signed from Canberra once he finished his sentence and the coach is an ex-Tigers player who does stand up comedy in the off season to supplement his income. The fitness coach is a local guy who has a Pie Face franchise, a mullet and a Torana. He is best mates with the coach, they used to work together as garbos, back in the day. The team physio qualified at the New England Institute for Alternative Medicine and makes sure his sponge is always soaked in Witch Hazel and TCP, it starts the recovery process immediately, and the team practices Tibetan throat singing every Monday, it unblocks their chakras.

With any luck, the alarm clock won't go off for at least one more year.........ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Brilliant story, love it! The personal connection if you meet a player makes such a difference.

Brandy made me a Panther for life. As a new immigrant in 1988 who had never watched a single game of league in my life, I just went to watch the local team play out of curiosity. Soccer was (still is really) so bad in Australia I couldn't stomach watching it, so off I went to Penrith Park. Even as a complete newbie it was obvious to me that Brandy was special, all grace, speed and vision. I was hooked and what made it even more personal was the fact you could bump into players in the town. Freddie in K Mart Nepean Square (cocky bugger and built like a brick sh*thouse even at 17), Brad Izzard in the cocktail bar at Panthers, MG in the Panthers nightclub drunker than a sailor on shore leave. Then about a year and a half later, Brandy moved in two doors away from me on Castlereagh Street. He had a lot of visitors, some times, not often though, they were men, just sayin......

That was me sold. My town, my team, warts and all. Wooden spoons, poo coloured jerseys (not for too long thankfully), mediocrity, all of it, but it was my team and I loved them and still do.

To be honest, I am still waiting for the alarm clock to go off and to wake up and find the three premierships are a dream and we have three wooden spoons. Our halfback is an ex St George Flegg player with dodgy hamstrings that prevent him from running, our fullback is Neil Baker's son and when the ball goes in the air the Pacific Islanders in the team gather in a circle and pray. Our hooker is a former Dogs NSW Cup legend, the five eighth is a reformed drug dealer signed from Canberra once he finished his sentence and the coach is an ex-Tigers player who does stand up comedy in the off season to supplement his income. The fitness coach is a local guy who has a Pie Face franchise, a mullet and a Torana. He is best mates with the coach, they used to work together as garbos, back in the day. The team physio qualified at the New England Institute for Alternative Medicine and makes sure his sponge is always soaked in Witch Hazel and TCP, it starts the recovery process immediately, and the team practices Tibetan throat singing every Monday, it unblocks their chakras.

With any luck, the alarm clock won't go off for at least one more year.........ZZZZZZZZZZZ
Funny thing is I love the old brown & white strip now. If they ever reproduce the one like my first I'll be grabbing one. It was the Brown chest and shoulders and white lower.

You are right about players making an impression. I've never lost my Royce love, even when he was coaching us. lol

CCJohnC

Juniors
Coming to Australia from England in 1981 I agree with Pomoz soccer here was not as I expected having been brought up on it in England. Living in the Blue Mountains of course I saw and followed Panthers very quickley especially after watching their few games on TV at that time. Still love them.

Munky

Coach
Sammut was too small for the modern NRL IMO.

He put on a ridiculous amount of bulk to justify his existance which eliminated his agility.

He's about the same size as Nikorima who good teams use as a speed bump when attacking.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Sammut was too small for the modern NRL IMO.

He put on a ridiculous amount of bulk to justify his existance which eliminated his agility.
He was fun to watch. I'll never forget his first NRL carry. It would be interesting to see what happened if he came through 15 years later than he did.

Munky

Coach
He was fun to watch. I'll never forget his first NRL carry. It would be interesting to see what happened if he came through 15 years later than he did.

He was great to watch in the lower grades but would get picked apart by a good half directing traffic defending in the line.

At fullback you'd tee him up to take the second tackle run and carry him back ten metres.

Michael Matral

Juniors

I have followed Panthers since about 1979..I remember meeting Brad Izzard, Greg Alexander and Royce Simmons in 1985 when they visited my school, Penrith South public..I was awestruck..the memory has stayed with me till this day..