What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Girds89

Bench
No real point of disagreement just to add they brought Schneider over because of his defence according to ivan/Nathan.

Havent really seen much from him at this stage in attack.. and hes side in defence looks much much weaker without nath. Tago doesnt seem to trust him so possibly not as good defensivley as thought.

In saying that laurie isnt a great defemder. Tries hard but his size effects him..
Offers much more in attack tho and is a better fit for nath i reckon.

WestyLife

First Grade
Havent really seen much from him at this stage in attack.. and hes side in defence looks much much weaker without nath. Tago doesnt seem to trust him so possibly not as good defensivley as thought.

In saying that laurie isnt a great defemder. Tries hard but his size effects him..
Offers much more in attack tho and is a better fit for nath i reckon.

No disagreement here. I really don't know what to think of schnieder yet.

WestyLife

First Grade
Schneids? Makes his tackles, got 2 wins from 3 games against tough opposition while Cleary was out. He can be a fantastic 14, would offer abit at dummy half and/or halves. Like Cogs last year.

I wouldn't argue with him at 14 when cleary is back. Next year is the question he probably is the better choice defensively I just haven't got a strong opinion of him. Seems to get through his work no drama and isn't a defensive liability.

The Realist

Juniors
Schneider is too big to play dummy half in anything more than an emergency capacity.

Cogger could do it because he has the right frame/build for it.

YoungPanther

Juniors
What makes Crichton a liability? Had some mental health issues but seems to be getting back to what he was. Absolute gun when he's firing.
Family are keen for him to stay in OZ, hence why he hasn't taken any O/S rugby offers yet, so not out of the question if we had a bite.
Always keen for a Cherry Picker to join the Panthers.

betcats

Referee
From what I’ve seen from Schneider he’s a good back up but not a good replacement for Luai next year. Tbh if cleary is out this week I’d like to see us go with Jarome at 7 and Laurie or cole 6. The more Luai got the ball against the tigers the better we looked.

Schneider just looks solid but he doesn’t play much footy it’s catch and pass or kick, he doesn’t really dig into the line much and create space when he’s ball playing.

Copperhead

Juniors
Schneider's been a bit more underwhelming than I expected, but he has been solid. But for next year, I don't like him or Cole as Luai's replacement. They're both bland footballers with no x factor. The more I see of Toelau the more I like him.

The Realist

Juniors
Schneider's been a bit more underwhelming than I expected, but he has been solid. But for next year, I don't like him or Cole as Luai's replacement. They're both bland footballers with no x factor. The more I see of Toelau the more I like him.

I'd have liked to see us poach the Tigers. In hindsight Galvin would have been great. But in 2025 Tigers will have a surplus in talented young halves. Latu Fainu would be a good pick up if Ivan isn't confident that Laurie or Cole could kick on.

Original Name

Juniors
Thoughts on Angus Crichton?
Elite at second row. If he was back to his absolute best he would be the best second rower after Kikau and he's still been very good this year. More serviceable/reliable at prop like Martin but as a prop he's a bit better than Martin due to his larger size.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Nathan should be our 5/8, leave a guy like schnieder in at 7, someone to steer the players around, while Nathan does his thing, and chime in when HE wants the ball, just like in the finals last year, sure if nate wants the token no.7 on his back, like b.hunt then fine, but schnieder is an excellent defender, which is more important to have big strong halves, who can tackle, and not be a liability in defence, than anything or anyone else can offer

WestyLife

First Grade
Nathan should be our 5/8, leave a guy like schnieder in at 7, someone to steer the players around, while Nathan does his thing, and chime in when HE wants the ball, just like in the finals last year, sure if nate wants the token no.7 on his back, like b.hunt then fine, but schnieder is an excellent defender, which is more important to have big strong halves, who can tackle, and not be a liability in defence, than anything or anyone else can offer

They already play like this with Yeo and to a lesser extend the 5/8 going to first receiver at times.

MugaB

Coach
They already play like this with Yeo and to a lesser extend the 5/8 going to first receiver at times.
Huh? Then why did we struggle in the GF if yeo is our makeshift halback, so to speak?
Being a halfback is more than just being the 1st reciever

WestyLife

First Grade
Huh? Then why did we struggle in the GF if yeo is our makeshift halback, so to speak?
Being a halfback is more than just being the 1st reciever

A lot of factors. Luai playing injured and being replaced with a fresh half who is at minimumfirst grade standard, broncos fatigue due to a bunch of early errors and extra defence in the first 15 mins. Nathan keeping calm and going after the game when many others body language had dropped.

Yes there's more to halfback and you won't take that away from cleary if you're talking about game management. He's spent his entire career learning and improving the skills.

MugaB

Coach
A lot of factors. Luai playing injured and being replaced with a fresh half who is at minimumfirst grade standard, broncos fatigue due to a bunch of early errors and extra defence in the first 15 mins. Nathan keeping calm and going after the game when many others body language had dropped.

Yes there's more to halfback and you won't take that away from cleary if you're talking about game management. He's spent his entire career learning and improving the skills.
That's right game management is a key component in a half, doesn't all have to be Nathan's job, you spread that out to a few players like schnieder, kicking into corners or 5th tackle options, and yeo handing/dropping off to middles and backrowers during hit ups... and nate becomes a running threat, as jerome is

John Hamblin

Juniors
What makes Crichton a liability? Had some mental health issues but seems to be getting back to what he was. Absolute gun when he's firing.
Yeah he is off contract at the end of the year. We have all seen this many times before. Lift your game when your contract is due to expire.

Latest posts