What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

franklin2323

Immortal
Staines did not re-sign on $500k a year. It was nearer to half that figure. He took less to stay.

I agree with you on Mansour. It could have and should have, been handled better. Certainly time wise.

You would know. I was told the conversation came up because he was looking to extend. That was when he was told no future here. Is this true or a half truth?

I think you let him know sooner. The couple of days after the GF seems to be what got some off side.. If he called the meeting that changes that

Blade23

Juniors
You would know. I was told the conversation came up because he was looking to extend. That was when he was told no future here. Is this true or a half truth?

I think you let him know sooner. The couple of days after the GF seems to be what got some off side.. If he called the meeting that changes that

His manager put early feelers out. The usual he is coming off contract. He wants to stay where are we at? This was during the season.
They possibly could have told him then. But the future in Staines was in the midst of a standoff with the club. Manager driven. Need to wait.

Staines hadn't been retained and it was looking doubtful.

The club kicked the Mansour can down the road with the finals not too far away.
They had other players to retain and would get back to him.
It was early stages. Not unusual with contracts.

By the time Staines re-signed during the finals. They had no choice to wait until end of the season.

After the GF he hadn't heard anything, then the club contacted him for a chat.

In a nutshell he could have been told mid-season but the club wanted Staines tied up.

Kilkenny

Coach

Not maybe Jane, definitely. I understand the whole he should have seen it coming anyway situation, but we should have had the discussions much, much earlier. Mansour deserved much better, even if not a club legend a very very good long serving player who is or was much revered in his time at our club. In two or three years time what happens with Yeo and JFH do we shown them the same lack of professional courtesy. It is not that hard. The lack of professional courtesy has been very disappointing. I hope it never happens again.

Jane Murray

Bench
Not maybe Jane, definitely. I understand the whole he should have seen it coming anyway situation, but we should have had the discussions much, much earlier. Mansour deserved much better, even if not a club legend a very very good long serving player who is or was much revered in his time at our club. In two or three years time what happens with Yeo and JFH do we shown them the same lack of professional courtesy. It is not that hard. The lack of professional courtesy has been very disappointing. I hope it never happens again.
Mansour took the place of a player, forcing him out. Football is a business, it is that simple.

franklin2323

Immortal
His manager put early feelers out. The usual he is coming off contract. He wants to stay where are we at? This was during the season.
They possibly could have told him then. But the future in Staines was in the midst of a standoff with the club. Manager driven. Need to wait.

By the time Staines re-signed during the finals. They had no choice to wait until end of the season.

In a nutshell he could have been told mid-season but the club wanted Staines tied up.

Yeah there were too many guys off contract at the same time. I just it was all juggling balls. Personally I think having him turn up to pre season not knowing where he stood more disrespectful

Kilkenny

Coach
Mansour took the place of a player, forcing him out. Football is a business, it is that simple.

You are prone to the use of the term it is that simple? It is not that simple far from it?

Let’s make no mistake here you are comparing a club legend to a player who has played 100 minutes in the NRL.

if a club wants to have a good culture you have to ensure club legacies are protected and fostered.

You have largely disregarded and disrespected a player who more than any other player of our current playing group has earnt respect.

When Josh Mansour resigned his most recent contract it was announced on the field in an interview with Gus Gould. I sat there in the Western Stand and the love around his resigning was amazing such the esteem in which he was held.

The salary cap is a tough beast and more than anything else has led to the exit of Josh but please don’t ruin his legacy.

martielang

Bench

& business’ with the best culture are generally the most successful yeh? Compare how we’ve treated Mansour, to how the Roosters have treated Aubusson. On playing ability alone, Aubo (over the last few years) would of struggled to make the Roosters NSW Cup starting 13.

Jane Murray

Bench
& business’ with the best culture are generally the most successful yeh? Compare how we’ve treated Mansour, to how the Roosters have treated Aubusson. On playing ability alone, Aubo (over the last few years) would of struggled to make the Roosters NSW Cup starting 13.
Mansour was given warning. He could have been demoted to the reserve grade.

Jane Murray

Bench
You are prone to the use of the term it is that simple? It is not that simple far from it?

Let’s make no mistake here you are comparing a club legend to a player who has played 100 minutes in the NRL.

if a club wants to have a good culture you have to ensure club legacies are protected and fostered.

You have largely disregarded and disrespected a player who more than any other player of our current playing group has earnt respect.

When Josh Mansour resigned his most recent contract it was announced on the field in an interview with Gus Gould. I sat there in the Western Stand and the love around his resigning was amazing such the esteem in which he was held.

The salary cap is a tough beast and more than anything else has led to the exit of Josh but please don’t ruin his legacy.
No I haven't.

martielang

Bench
Yeah there were too many guys off contract at the same time. I just it was all juggling balls. Personally I think having him turn up to pre season not knowing where he stood more disrespectful

Do you honestly think the convo 2 days after the GF was as simple as ‘hey josh, just so you know we might start with Charlie next year... ‘. You can’t be that naive. The club can’t afford to have him on the books this year, they’re were/are actively pushing him out the door immediately despite having another 12 months on a contract the club gave him. They are looking after their interests not his.

No successful club would do that to their longest standing, most loyal & arguably most liked player amongst the playing group. Especially one who was instrumental in us having such a great year.

I personally see nothing but disrespect.

Kilkenny

Coach

You know I don’t think this whole issue has never ever been Josh Mansour v Charlie Staines.

it was always about salary cap management, best for the club going forward but at the same time give Josh a dignified exit if he wasn’t going to be part of our future going forward.

Without googling our recent season my 60 year brain can’t remember our last home game but maybe it would have been nice to give Josh a send off, a lap of honour, he isn’t going to get that now. I’ll miss that when I next see him in another clubs colours. Won’t be the same.

Kilkenny

Coach
Do you honestly think the convo 2 days after the GF was as simple as ‘hey josh, just so you know we might start with Charlie next year... ‘. You can’t be that naive. The club can’t afford to have him on the books this year, they’re were/are actively pushing him out the door immediately despite having another 12 months on a contract the club gave him. They are looking after their interests not his.

No successful club would do that to their longest standing, most loyal & arguably most liked player amongst the playing group. Especially one who was instrumental in us having such a great year.

Are you familiar with the term pushing shit uphill. You and I are in the same boat but sadly most on here are incapable of acknowledging the truth.

franklin2323

Immortal

Who did we have to sign for 2021?

Crichton, Staines etc were all signed. So became who was better for the mid to long term.

Do you think it would be easier to get a deal elsewhere off the back of last year? Or while sitting in NSW Cup in 6 months time?

So when a player is enquiring about his future you lie? Or shouldn't you let him know sooner to sort out his future?