What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Original Name

Juniors
From those that have seen him play, whats the view on Liam Henry? Has he shown enough to look like he can make it in first grade?
Maybe it's hard to judge with props with a small sample size from the outside in unless they have massive leg speed or size. He could be a player where his value is playing is running, tackling, kick pressuring, etc at the similar intensity for 60 minutes when others drop off due fatigue like a say Blake Laurie. I haven't seen him play big minutes in NSW Cup and in juniors the contact is pretty soft relative to the NRL.

hindy111

Post Whore
I wouldn't be too concerned. Origin had no Korisau along with Yeo, Toò and Crighton. Still scraped home in games.
I think will probably still win against Canberra and Warriors. If Canberra did win but could they go undefeated the rest of season? Softish draw

Iamback

Coach
Maybe it's hard to judge with props with a small sample size from the outside in unless they have massive leg speed or size. He could be a player where his value is playing is running, tackling, kick pressuring, etc at the similar intensity for 60 minutes when others drop off due fatigue like a say Blake Laurie. I haven't seen him play big minutes in NSW Cup and in juniors the contact is pretty soft relative to the NRL.

He plays about 42 mins and your post seems pretty spot on.

Take the weekend. 167m gained but only 32 PCM, Didn't miss a tackle

I guess the closest comparison would be Christan Welsch as far as NRL guys are concerned

The Realist

Juniors
I disagree with the Tyrone May assessment. He was ordinary as a halfback, but he is a very good 2nd receiver. He was the most talented passer of the footy in our 2020/21 teams.

In saying that, I think Salmon will do a decent job. His selection is more defensive then anything and he does a good job of it. I just hope the Raiders don't run shapes at him with Savage in support, because if that is the case Salmon is likely to get burn't.

martielang

Bench
I disagree with the Tyrone May assessment. He was ordinary as a halfback, but he is a very good 2nd receiver. He was the most talented passer of the footy in our 2020/21 teams.

In saying that, I think Salmon will do a decent job. His selection is more defensive then anything and he does a good job of it. I just hope the Raiders don't run shapes at him with Savage in support, because if that is the case Salmon is likely to get burn't.

Yep, seemed to struggle laterally in defence v the Eels which is to be expected tbh.

Iamback

Coach
Can’t see that happening.

Salmon is a five eight , played most games this season so deserves his chance in his favoured position.

Can't see us running out with that bench either, Falls in for Staines is the best 17 we can field

The Realist

Juniors
Can’t see that happening.

Salmon is a five eight , played most games this season so deserves his chance in his favoured position.

Tell me how much of the time has he played 5/8th for this year other than against Parra last week?

Most of the time he plays left Backrower if Kikau gets injured or pulled for a HIA which has happened several times this season. Has also filled in at centre.

That criteria is a flimsy reasoning to make him a 5/8.

In saying that I prefer him to Falls for this game. He seems solid and reliable and has some match fitness. Falls on the other hand is making a comeback from injury and is a bit of a loose defender.

maple_69

Bench
Ivan has evolved a bit over the years but his default is conservative and defensive. We’ll play through the middle off Api and Edwards and like our right edge last year, the halves will just be there to keep our defensive line sound and kick to the corners.

i think the only different part of our game plan will be Kikau coming through the middle with his offloads more. We saw it in the second half last week and I think it’s an effective strategy for a team that won’t be as effective spreading the ball and with most of our firepower up the middle.

mxlegend99

Referee
I think Salmon at 6 could benefit us for finals.

Hes unfortunately a permanent part of the team along with Kenny. I think it should be one or the other. But Ivan wants both.

So a few 80 minute performances at 6 will make him far better off the bench come finals IMO. I doubt he lights it up at 6. But minutes in the legs and more opportunity to build combinations can't be a bad thing.

Iamback

Coach
I think Salmon at 6 could benefit us for finals.

Hes unfortunately a permanent part of the team along with Kenny. I think it should be one or the other. But Ivan wants both.

So a few 80 minute performances at 6 will make him far better off the bench come finals IMO. I doubt he lights it up at 6. But minutes in the legs and more opportunity to build combinations can't be a bad thing.

We are only a couple of head knocks from having neither half in a final. So it is good for the side moving forward, Falls should be on the bench atleast because it allows Salmon to move if we get a mid game injury

Iamback

Coach
Ivan has won 56 of his last 63 games though, so I’m happy for him to be as conservative and defensive as he likes with that sort of winning record.

How many times have we scored the 1st try in that time?

2020 for example.

We scored 27 tries in the 1st 20 mins, Conceded 7 tries

Been similar in 2021 and 22.

From memory last week was the 1st time we lost in 63 games when scoring 1st.

So we are great front runners, Need more when we are chasing