What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

mxlegend99

Referee
If we had anyone similar or better than Leniu or Critter in quality I would be all for dropping them. But we don't. We need them to be our best.

If we get offered something that can improve us or offer something different I would hope we take the offer. Ie TPJ for Leniu.

But unless we can trade to improve our roster we need to pick our best 17.

Kilkenny

Coach
If we had anyone similar or better than Leniu or Critter in quality I would be all for dropping them. But we don't. We need them to be our best.

If we get offered something that can improve us or offer something different I would hope we take the offer. Ie TPJ for Leniu.

But unless we can trade to improve our roster we need to pick our best 17.
I guess Spencer hasn’t left yet, no idea which way it is going to go.

Ivan will pick his best 17 that is a given.

I wouldn’t be adverse to a trade on the basis it improves our salary cap position and doesn’t adversely effect our chances this season.

Kilkenny

Coach
I just read the tweet put forward by Gus. It is interesting.

While he is probably a wolf in sheep’s clothing, I take out of his tweet that Spencer is far from being a ‘done’ deal and there is some work to be done.

Blade23

Juniors
Like last time he was off contract. The club will have one last play to keep Spencer. That has always been the arrangement. Go out and test the market but come back to us.
The club has outlined a plan for him to play more minutes. Rather than just be used as an impact prop.
For Spencer to stay. He will have to take less than the Dogs are offering. Amount and Length.
It will be a struggle to retain him. But there is still a chance.

Kilkenny

Coach
Of the more high profile players who have left in recent seasons Stephen Crichton is probably the one who for me is of least concern. I think he has been great for us, very fine centre/winger but just not an elite match winner worthy of $750 - $800k a season, certainly not for four years anyway. I’m still disappointed he has elected to leave us but I can understand the reasons why.

Blade23

Juniors
I disagree. Peter is reporting the news. Not adding speculation or an opinion piece. Things change quickly when contracts are being sorted out.

He is just reporting the facts as he knows it at the time.

Negotiations can be very fluid.
I know a player that verbally agreed to a contract. With arrangements made to come in the following week to sign all the paperwork. An hour later the manager rings up and says his client has just signed elsewhere!
It happens more than people think.

Kilkenny

Coach
Like last time he was off contract. The club will have one last play to keep Spencer. That has always been the arrangement. Go out and test the market but come back to us.
The club has outlined a plan for him to play more minutes. Rather than just be used as an impact prop.
For Spencer to stay. He will have to take less than the Dogs are offering. Amount and Length.
It will be a struggle to retain him. But there is still a chance.
I guess that is all we can ask. It’s disappointing to continually find ourselves in this on going merry go round around players we have developed, perhaps with the exception of Api. No compensation we just have to suck it up as the rules stand. It’s just not right.

Blade23

Juniors
I guess that is all we can ask. It’s disappointing to continually find ourselves in this on going merry go round around players we have developed, perhaps with the exception of Api. No compensation we just have to suck it up as the rules stand. It’s just not right.

Don't get me started on that.

Kilkenny

Coach
Negotiations can be very fluid.
I know a player that verbally agreed to a contract. With arrangements made to come in the following week to sign all the paperwork. An hour later the manager rings up and says his client has just signed elsewhere!
It happens more than people think.
No doubt. Again the player has all the power, careers are short and we all understand they have to do what is best for them. I just think the system is seriously flawed. The Dogs just signed a young half from the Broncos and have paid a transfer fee, a substantial amount, and apparently there are suggestions the amount doesn’t fall under the cap? How does that work? Why is this signing different to any other signing?

Whino

Bench
If the Dogs are going around on a shopping spree for talent they will be maxed out soon. The time will come when a promisng young player will come through their lower grades, and will be targeted by cashed up rivals.

Black Panther

Juniors
The same could be asked of Crichton.
We need to ensure we have a centre a backup fullback and goal kicker ready to go.
So far Ivan has treated every game as a must win and had great success, I don’t think that will change, he will pick the strongest team possible every week.
The difference between the 2 is that Crichton is already are starter has been for a few years also starter for Samoa. Leniu on the other hand is not.

Kilkenny

Coach
If the Dogs are going around on a shopping spree for talent they will be maxed out soon. The time will come when a promisng young player will come through their lower grades, and will be targeted by cashed up rivals.
That maybe so, but it is not the point.

All clubs as I understand are required to spend what is it 90% - 95% of there salary cap. That in itself is an anomaly because clearly all rosters aren’t equal.

Iamback

Coach

That is why Gus' tweet the other week made no sense, We got old guys while we waited. They are signing players on the way up

Kilkenny

Coach
The difference between the 2 is that Crichton is already are starter has been for a few years also starter for Samoa. Leniu on the other hand is not.
Yes but one is an outside back and the other a middle forward.

Crichton has 76 NRL games, Spencer 61 not a great deal of difference.

Spencer craves more game time and rightly so, it is rather depressing watching from our Western Stand to see him either sitting on the bench or returning to the bench after his 10-15-20 minute stint.

Blade23

Juniors
No doubt. Again the player has all the power, careers are short and we all understand they have to do what is best for them. I just think the system is seriously flawed. The Dogs just signed a young half from the Broncos and have paid a transfer fee, a substantial amount, and apparently there are suggestions the amount doesn’t fall under the cap? How does that work?

It doesn't. Like the Tigers paid with Bateman.
The NRL allows clubs to pay transfer fees outside the salary cap because it is a fee not a salary. It is not paid to the player but his previous club.
It is an incentive for the existing club to release the player early from his contract. It is not overly common in then the NRL. Usually only the desperate do it.
In Brisbane's case they wanted compensation for a player they put a lot development in and was signed long-term to them.