What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

WestyLife

First Grade
I never suggested we recruit a like for like replacement. I am well aware we don’t have such a luxury with whatever limited funds we have available.

For most part we have used a front row rotation of JFH, Leota, Eusinhuth and Lenui. take JFH out of that rotation and I don’t even want to think about what the impact would be.

I simply made the point if JFH was to sustain a long term injury it would be a massive blow to our chances of winning the premiership in 2021.

In my opinion, depending on much cap space we have remaining for this season I think we should be pro active and looking at exploring what genuine front rowers may be available as back up to provide cover for JFH. I suggested one potential option in Thomas Mikaele from the West’s Tigers just as an example I’m sure there are others.

Look across the nrl. The only team who have what you're asking for is probably Raiders and their backline sucks because of it. You'd have to find an out of favour nrl player in reserve grade or develop your own and get him cheap before clubs see their potential.

The other thing on top of what I said there is maybe you get someone to come cheaper because they want to play in a successful team while we are winning but I don't see it happening.

Kilkenny

Coach
And the Roosters IMO. If they weren't cursed this season with injury, we'd be talking about a big 3.

I still think they are well and truly in the mix. We are only half way through the season I’m sure they will be in the mix they were very impressive on the weekend just gone.

There elder statesman in JWH played the full 80 and ran for over 200 metres from 20 odd hit ups.

Kilkenny

Coach
I agree with you. You have said it for awhile and I said pre season we need another experienced middle to do the pig work. We have many middle options that can grind out metres but only one that does the really hard stuff. Martin can be in another year or two.
We just need a player that can play half a dozen games when we get a few out to injury, suspension or Origin unavailability. Nothing fancy.
We haven't needed him for the first 12 rounds but this round was evident another experienced middle is needed.

I realise the cap is different to manage and you don't get the perfect roster but the fact the club was looking at Napa and were linked to a Newcastle prop in the pre season indicates they feel the same.
It is not about the current options at our club that can't fill the breach, it is about having a bit more insurance if things get thinner. And in my opinion ideally another hard nut.
We may get through the year and win the whole comp without another addition, but I like to cover all bases

We’re on the same wavelength, a bit of insurance to cover what none of us want to even contemplate.

Whino

Bench
Look across the nrl. The only team who have what you're asking for is probably Raiders and their backline sucks because of it. You'd have to find an out of favour nrl player in reserve grade or develop your own and get him cheap before clubs see their potential.

Has to be a bargain buy or someone looking for a chance. We did well with Capewell and Sorensen.
Only needed for a year or two until Hopgood and Smith get better.

I could go through the whole NRL and pick holes in their teams. The cap is a tough beast. Made worse by clubs going for the quick fix.

Blade23

Juniors
Just to add to the prop chat from my end. The club is still looking for a prop, preferably experienced. Either someone they can pick up for this season, for the right price, or next season. They are in no rush. A deal will present itself. A player will become surplus elsewhere as other clubs more the pieces around, or someone will be unsigned and not rated.
It won't be anyone fancy. Think value buy.
Sometimes a good deal presents itself as desperate clubs do dumb things.

Kilkenny

Coach
Just to add to the prop chat from my end. The club is still looking for a prop, preferably experienced. Either someone they can pick up for this season, for the right price, or next season. They are in no rush. A deal will present itself. A player will become surplus elsewhere as other clubs more the pieces around, or someone will be unsigned and not rated.
It won't be anyone fancy. Think value buy.
Sometimes a good deal presents itself as desperate clubs do dumb things.

I really think the off contract Thomas Mikaele could be a really astute addition to our roster if we could somehow secure him for remainder of this season even allowing for the fact we would probably have to give him the security of a deal for next year and beyond. He has so much upside and is only going to get better.

For what it’s worth a mate of mine who is in the know suggested we were looking at a potential loan deal for Herman Ese Ese from the Titans for the remainder of this season. He is currently out suspended and hasn’t really figured since his move from the Knights.

Original Name

Juniors
Fish is more often than not replaced by Leniu though. Fish plays avg 51 mins, Leniu 25. May's rotation is normally with Yeo and Api/Kenny.

Both Fish & May have a net points per minute ratio of 0.37 (eq 4th highest behind Hopgood 0.72, Api 0.41, Martin at 0.39). Wanna know who has the lowest? Leniu at 0.19.

This is further driven home by our quarter by quarter breakdown, where 60% of our net score is Q1 & Q4, the times when Fish is typically on the field. Our best quarters per game - 9/12 are Q1 or Q4. Funnily enough the only games where Q2 was our best were the Storm and Raiders game, where Spencer went ballistic.

Everything adds up to us being a much better team when Fish is on the field. We can't cover him if he gets injured this season, and we'd need a massive step up from our other props if he leaves after 2022.

Greg Alexander had Fisher-Harris in his best 17 Panthers of all time before the 2020 season kicked off. Given his last 18 months, he'd absolutely be his #1 Panthers prop.
I didn't say May replaces Fish. I said Fish's minutes off the field crossover a fair bit with May at lock because of Ivan's weird freaking rotation.

Like do you remember the Broncos match where we got beaten up the middle? To'o and Leniu were the only ones bending the line up the middle in the entire team when Leniu was on. Of course with Leniu on we're going to be less effective when against up fired up defenders if it's only Leniu and To'o having an impact because Yeo's threat of passing at lock forward makes him the player he is today so with May at lock and Yeo at prop those numbers are only natural.

Yeo makes the players around him better at lock because defenders respect his running game so hold their ground against them giving other more space. They know May isn't going run into the teeth of the defence hit a solid defensive line and continuing powering up the middle but Yeo will if they aren't careful. Eiso and Leniu will play better the more time they play with Yeo at lock compared to May there.

May needs to come on and spell Yeo or Api when Fish and Leota come back on. That's our strongest rotation.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
The Stagnant resigning of Fish has got me a bit worried, like a Mexican stand off. Not sure what the club is offering, but 1million is crazy, but I do think he is the best Prop in the game

Kilkenny

Coach
I have no idea where this figure of $1 million came from but I assume it was just click bate from the media.

JFH is worthy of a huge contract, he has earnt it and I’m sure he will prove value for money at the right price.

From my perspective I think $750k a season over three or four years is reasonable.

If there is a club out there who can better such a deal then perhaps we need to look elsewhere.

MugaB

Coach
For what it’s worth a mate of mine who is in the know suggested we were looking at a potential loan deal for Herman Ese Ese from the Titans for the remainder of this season. He is currently out suspended and hasn’t really figured since his move from the Knights.
This same guy who is currently suspended for rushing out of his defensive line whilst offside and coat hangering Brian To'o, in the last game of the magic round, when the crackdown was highlighting no head highs....
Sent off, no sinbin, SENT OFF, there are dumb comments and irony too, but this is pathetic...
Herman ese ese is as bad as bj leliua brainsnaps in games, why the f do we want that.

If we want another middle, look for Dale Finucane.. if he cost too much then Billy Magoulias or we just keep looking, theyll be plenty of players off the books at both sharks and dogs, but whether there is anyone useful......

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
This same guy who is suspended for rushing out of his defensive line whilst offside and coat hangering Brian To'o, in the last game of the magic round, when the crackdown was highlighting no head highs.... there are dumb comments and irony too, but this is pathetic...
If we want another middle, look for Dale Finucane.. if he cost too much then billy magoulias or we just keep looking, theyll be plenty of players off the books at both sharks and dogs, but whether there is anyone useful......

We have no need for another middle. We have them in surplus.

We are in the market for a front rower.

Billy Magoulias really. Good luck with that suggestion. The Sharks fans will be only to be to happy to offload him to us if we were that silly but thankfully we are not.

I may well be dumb, but you are the sequel.

MugaB

Coach
We have no need for another middle. We have them in surplus.

We are in the market for a front rower.

Billy Magoulias really. Good luck with that suggestion. The Sharks fans will be only to be to happy to offload him to us if we were that silly but thankfully we are not.

I may well be dumb, but you are the sequel.
Not having a go at you, just the thought process of whovever thought of Herman as a signing,....props are middles btw

Billy Magoulias is a pretty underrated player, same as Kurt Capewell was, as was Sorenson.. you'll be eating humble pie if we landed him and turned him into better 1st grader, not sure the sharks are capable of the junior to 1st grade transition

Kilkenny

Coach
Not having a go at you, just the thought process of whovever thought of Herman as a signing,....props are middles btw

Herman was supposedly a big off season for the Titans, I have no idea why he has not figured in there team thus far I simply passed on what a mate suggested over a couple of beers at the Paceway before the Bulldogs game. My mate is well connected albeit he is connected to St Mary’s RL. His mail is normally close to the mark

hindy111

Post Whore
This same guy who is currently suspended for rushing out of his defensive line whilst offside and coat hangering Brian To'o, in the last game of the magic round, when the crackdown was highlighting no head highs....
Sent off, no sinbin, SENT OFF, there are dumb comments and irony too, but this is pathetic...
Herman ese ese is as bad as bj leliua brainsnaps in games, why the f do we want that.

If we want another middle, look for Dale Finucane.. if he cost too much then Billy Magoulias or we just keep looking, theyll be plenty of players off the books at both sharks and dogs, but whether there is anyone useful......

Lol. Dale will cost a bomb.

And Billy is a NSW cup level player. Whatever happened to that guy who left Penrith for Titans. Young prop who did nothing there. Would only be about 27 now I assume.

Smug Panther

First Grade

Billy Magoulias is a pretty underrated player, same as Kurt Capewell was, as was Sorenson.. you'll be eating humble pie if we landed him and turned him into better 1st grader, not sure the sharks are capable of the junior to 1st grade transition
Billy is overrated imo. Looked great in NSW cup and then flopped in first grade every time he's moved up

Latest posts