What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
I'd have Peachy in my team everyday.

He's looking very fit.. he's speed on the weekend backing up for the long distance try was very impressive.

He's best days are no doubt past him but the fact I think he's in our best 17 speaks more towards the quality of our best 17... particularly the 2nd row.

Look at the role Salmon played, You could get someone with footwork and some speed. They can lurk around the ruck as well running against tired forwards.

Hell they might not be 'tired' and miss their assignment when we are attacking the line.

We have very few players who can do that role in the squad, That is on the recruitment team if that fails

Iamback

Coach
Pinning all the hopes on mav and hassett probs isn't smart business.

Need one or two more good 2nd rowers that are in the 12-24 month bracket away. Competition for spots is what will get the best out of them. Plus we really don't have much quality of depth there atm.

I still think Billy burns at the right price offered way more than garner or hosking. Yeah he's defence needs work and his handling has been an issue but I'd back Ivan to fix those.

He's attack is way better than the garner and hosking and he wouldn't break the bank.. he would've been the perfect fill guy for a few years imo. He has a lot higher ceiling too if his development comes on. Still can't believe we let him go for blacker

That is how we have done it we have been too trusting of the system and wanting guys to take a bit less.

If the $525k Spencer was offered at Roosters is true that is hardly unreasonable money looking down the track.

Crichton was offered $700k - Turuva or whoever replaces him will be on 1/4 of that.

Hell take those who left Api was on $500k
Kiks on $700k and we brought in no one of note, The money was there but they want to develop. Time will tell I guess

Big Mick

Referee
That is how we have done it we have been too trusting of the system and wanting guys to take a bit less.

If the $525k Spencer was offered at Roosters is true that is hardly unreasonable money looking down the track.

Crichton was offered $700k - Turuva or whoever replaces him will be on 1/4 of that.

Hell take those who left Api was on $500k
Kiks on $700k and we brought in no one of note, The money was there but they want to develop. Time will tell I guess
If anyone believes Spencer is on $525k at the Roosters then I have some magic beans to sell them lol.

Last edited:

Girds89

Bench
We're circling Teig Wilton apparently for next year
He's an upgrade on garner and hosking that's for sure.

Not sure what he'd cost. Not a bad player.

I think he's signed up till 24 unfortunately but I'd bring CHN back..

Come through with most our boys. Still has a good 4 or 5 years left. Wouldn't break the bank and is the kinda bloke who I think would really excel coming back here.

Girds89

Bench
You think he is on more?

The journo that wrote the article on Spencer is Most likely to know

I think the journos have just as much idea as the general punters tbh.

It's in no interest of clubs or players to tell people what they are on.

But I'm with you. If he left for 525k than imo we will regret not offering him 600k.

Not looking forward to him becoming one of the best props in the game on a steal price in the tri colours.

betcats

Referee
He's an upgrade on garner and hosking that's for sure.

Not sure what he'd cost. Not a bad player.

I think he's signed up till 24 unfortunately but I'd bring CHN back..

Come through with most our boys. Still has a good 4 or 5 years left. Wouldn't break the bank and is the kinda bloke who I think would really excel coming back here.

He is off contract this year. We are apparently one of a few clubs chasing him. Pretty sure this rumour originates with the Mole so could be totally false.

Girds89

Bench
Look at the role Salmon played, You could get someone with footwork and some speed. They can lurk around the ruck as well running against tired forwards.

Hell they might not be 'tired' and miss their assignment when we are attacking the line.

We have very few players who can do that role in the squad, That is on the recruitment team if that fails

Given the fact salmon plays stuff all minutes anyway I don't know why they don't let peach take that last spot...

Him coming on at 12 all or even 12-6 when soni got injected would've been nice on the weekend

maple_69

Bench
$525 on the cap maybe, $x off the cap who knows. Lots probably.
I like the cut of Wilton's jib. He'd fit right into our pack. Plenty of mongrel in him.

Girds89

Bench
I don’t think he’s upgrade on Hoskins or Garner

Your kidding right?

He's 23 years old. A starter in the sharks side who are a genuine top 4 quality side..

Almost 50 nrl games under his belt.

Hosking is 26 with 4 games.. and couldn't crack a very average broncs team over the last year for solid game time.

Garner is 4 years older than teig and only 30 more games to his name.. and spent his whole career at the tigers..

He walks straight into our starting side in the 2nd row next to Martin.

I'm not saying that's 100% who we should be after! But he's definitely an upgrade and I wouldn't be disappointed.

I've said numerous times I think the best strategy would be to buy 2 gun junior 2nd rowers that are about 18 years old..

Give them 12 to 24 months in our system and hopefully by 2024 we have Martin, geyer, hassett and one or two other guns that are all ready to rock.

Given geyer, Martin and hassett all aren't in the big department I'd be looking at two young juniors who offer something different.. a bit of variety.

At the moment we don't have any variety in the 2nd row.. garner, Martin, hosking, Chris Smith... they are all just whole running tough second rowers.

Bring in two kids with a bit of size and flair and offloading ability. Put them on a fast track intense fitness, strength and defence program for 12 months and see where they are at.

The club seems to have this mindset that we must develop all our own juniors.

We didn't develop kikau from a young age but he's development here post nyc (at the time) turned him into the player he is today. He's conditioning here was quite unbelievable.

120kgs and could play 80 if he had to and not let you down.

Garner looked spent on the weekend after 20mins and is 20kgs lighter.

If we do go after teig than we should still be looking at a few gun juniors. Offer teig two years and if he comes cool! Than in two years sus out where we are at as a club. If he develops and wants more coin we can let him go and know that the juniors we invested I'm are hopefully ready etc.

If we buy a couple gun junior 2nd rowers and they have come on than the make up of the pack all of a sudden could be very different. All these gun kids put pressure on each other for spots..

13. Yeo
12. Hassett
11. Geyer
10. Martin
9. Luke or Riley Smith or sommerton or whoever
8. Fish

14. Leota
15. Gun 2nd row junior
16. L. Smith or lisati
17. A hooker or flexible player