What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

MrBlack

Juniors
To say Too is the best ever is a long and subjective argument, probably for another day.

The point here is that he, along with Mansour and coach Cleary have redefined what the modern winger is and how they play.

A more interesting discussion might be which great wingers of seasons past would thrive in todays style. Think Ribot, Growth Jnr, Rooney

hindy111

Post Whore
To'o averages like 230 metres for every year for 4 years in a row. Look up the average metres ran for those wingers in their absolute best years and it's 160-150 for guys like Sailor. It's nothing alike at all in terms of what To'o does.

It's been a while since pure fast wingers where phased out of the game for bigger meter eater style ones. Atleast 15yrs.
To'o is awesome but Semi was another level. That isn't having a shot at To'o. But he isn't going 90mtrs from nothing like Semi would and doesn't have his offload skills or speed.
Matt Utai who was nowhere near as good was probably one of the first short wingers I recall who played similar to Brian.

WestyLife

First Grade
It's been a while since pure fast wingers where phased out of the game for bigger meter eater style ones. Atleast 15yrs.
To'o is awesome but Semi was another level. That isn't having a shot at To'o. But he isn't going 90mtrs from nothing like Semi would and doesn't have his offload skills or speed.
Matt Utai who was nowhere near as good was probably one of the first short wingers I recall who played similar to Brian.

To'o has gone 90 metres from nothing you one eyed river snake.

Fangs

Coach
If by changing the game you mean setting a new benchmark then To'o has done that for sure. It's a bit unfair because I don't think most NRL wingers are capable of reaching his numbers week after week. Also happens to be a world class finisher which is his most underrated attribute.

Some good names mentioned so far. Taniela Tuaki a forgotten man, had a fairly short career due to injury. He and Vatuvei would have been a terrifying wing combo for NZ but I don't think they ever played a test together.

murraymob

Coach
No sure he has set up a bench mark more to that style of play.Sides who use speed and fast players are still going to go the fast wingers

murraymob

Coach
Rumour manly dragons looking to do a swap deal Schuster for Lomax not sure who draws the short end here both heavily overpaid for what they deliver

Chins get the wins

First Grade
If by changing the game you mean setting a new benchmark then To'o has done that for sure. It's a bit unfair because I don't think most NRL wingers are capable of reaching his numbers week after week. Also happens to be a world class finisher which is his most underrated attribute.

Some good names mentioned so far. Taniela Tuaki a forgotten man, had a fairly short career due to injury. He and Vatuvei would have been a terrifying wing combo for NZ but I don't think they ever played a test together.
Manu couldn't catch the ball

Original Name

Juniors
Yeah of course To'o can't do things others could like Semi. But I'm not arguing what To'o can't do I'm replying to you saying To'o hasn't done anything other wingers haven't done before though.

As an example Semi Radradra 2016 Games: 19 Metres: 2915 Average: 153.4

To'o in 2021 Games: 21 Metres: 5,163 Average: 245.9

https://www.nrl.com/stats/players/?competition=111&season=2021&stat=1000037

Look at that massive difference in average, almost 100 metres. Nobody before To'o average 200 metres + year in year out for multiple years from the wing. No one in the history of the game has done it so saying he's done nothing others haven't done before doesn't really match up with facts. I'm not saying To'o is a far better player than Semi or anything I'm addressing what you said that he's doing nothing that hasn't been done before which is objectively incorrect.

Last edited:

John Hamblin

Juniors
No sure he has set up a bench mark more to that style of play.Sides who use speed and fast players are still going to go the fast wingers
I saw the great Ken Irvine Larry Corowa etc BUT i agree with Hindy SEmi is clearly the best I have seen. Playing Rugby now in England on huge money,

murraymob

Coach
Zac lomax has got his release but at seasons end .St George issued a statement saying he will not get any money for 2025 and 2026 he is on 800k only 2 clubs have that money parra and roosters

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Dragons want to be compensated for any deals with Lomax..they want good players in return! Now Turuva hasn't signed with us and we've offered him 350k a year, Garner would be on easy 250k and I'm sure we could throw in someone else of mid value for Lomax.

I'm hearing dragons are all but going to get Turuva anyway so why don't we jump on the chance to replace Turuva with Lomax and chuck him into the centres where he wants to play and move May to wing where I think he is a much better player especially running the ball back.

Latest posts