What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

CCJohnC

Juniors
Everyone seems to have not mentioned Jordan Grant in NSW Cup who is a prop and getting good reviews. Short term replacement?

Hooked

Juniors
My two cents. Front rowers aren’t wingers. You can’t just plug in some kid and hope for the best. Sure you can carry someone like that on the bench and let them develop but we already have Smith and Henry in those roles. We’ve plugged holes from within for years but that has been enabled by maintaining a strong core group, including a genuine, top 3 in the comp front rower. If we want to keep the premiership window open and not squander peak Cleary we need a like for like JFH replacement.

Nailed it.

Hooked

Juniors
Everyone seems to have not mentioned Jordan Gran in NSW Cup who is a prop and getting good reviews. Short term replacement?

I liked what I have seen of him in reserve grade, apart from his handling. Good aggression and solid in defence.

No guarantee we are going to get a good replacement straight away for Fish.
For depth. Until the dust settles I wouldn't mind a 1-year contract for him.

Last edited:

John Hamblin

Juniors
TPJ is a pretty decent shout actually. Shouldn't cost a mint and has the capacity to be extremely dynamic. We've gotten good footy out of him previously, if only for a limited period.
Great post would not cost much with huge upside. Give him a two year contract say $250k plus bonuses for playing a set number of games

Kilkenny

Coach
There is no way we re-signed a backup hooker for 3 years
I wasn’t aware we have signed him for three years.

Dontknow Billy Phillips contract situation either but from what I have seen I would locking him up for a couple of years otherwise he is going to get poached.

WestyLife

First Grade
The more I think about the more Martin makes sense. It's easier to find a backrower or promote one than a prop atm.

It's a no brainer imo. He has always just been filling a gap as a backrower, it's a credit to him that he has ended up rep quality in that position, but pretty much every aspect of his game screams middle.

Have to assume it'd work with how he plays.

soc123_au

Staff member
I love the mad man. Let's let him loose
Yeah, it would be fun to watch.

Leaves us light in the back row, but you could try something with Tago moving in a spot and Alamoti comes in. Alamoti could be worth a look and leave Tago where he is as well. Just doing that might work without having to spend a cent.

Then use the Fish money to get a few up and comers for the back row, there are a few decent prospects at the Cows that will be looking for a shot. Front load Cleary & Yeo 200k each and we are in a good space cap wise for a bit.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
I'll throw another one out there.. Jason Talmalolo. I asked at the start of the year to go after him (cowboys to chip in half his contract) He'd bring size and mobility especially after an off-season with us he'd came back fit fresh and ready for a new beginning.

Sime_11

Juniors
Fish is 28

Tapine, Taumalolo, JWH, NAS, Taupau - are all older than Fish - same with RCG & Paulo - so we would not improve

Haas & Tino are on major $$$ so they are out.

Stefano seems the only realistic chance who would suit us (we need younger than JFH)

Henry & Smith seem much more appealing options then alot mentioned and they know & fit in the system we have.

trust the process :)

Kilkenny

Coach
Why was Fish allowed to go early without a ready made replacement. ?
Liam Henry full NRL season under his belt will replace JFH.

He will be every bit as good as JFH when he reaches his peak. Similar in style and has the same drive and commitment. Blayney boy, made of tough stuff The country boys.

Do we still go to market, probably, I have thus far probably read 10-15 mentions as possibilities although it is probable whoever we recruit has not been mentioned and may not be. We will find someone no doubt, just May not be the huge name everyone seems to crave.