What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
What’s the likelihood of Parra coming back with a massive offer for Blaize now? Like mentioned earlier, sounds similar to the Fifita situation.

If he does come here though, what does Cole think. He was ear marked for the 6 next wasn’t he not to mention Laurie.
The cooling off period is standard, I guess the Eels could make another play to retain him, the balls in there court I guess.

The impact on other players, is probably irrelevant really, there are never any guarantees just the reality. Cole and Laurie will have to fight for a position in the top 17 just as they do now.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
The cooling off period is standard, I guess the Eels could make another play to retain him, the balls in there court I guess.

The impact on other players, is probably irrelevant really, there are never any guarantees just the reality. Cole and Laurie will have to fight for a position in the top 17 just as they do now.
Laurie can't play 14 for us. Well it's either that or Ivan doesn't know how to work it. After this signing he should probably bail elsewhere really

Kilkenny

Coach
Laurie can't play 14 for us. Well it's either that or Ivan doesn't know how to work it. After this signing he should probably bail elsewhere really
I agree he isn’t an ideal 14 because he is limited in covering the positions that need to be filled As the utility reserve.

He has been super though in the games he has filled in despite his misfortune in injuries. Terrific kid.

I don't think we will miss a beat next season. Still VERY strong side.

Good to know Talagi not guaranteed any position, he was still in SG ball last year.

Same with Casey, been very impressed with him in his step up to NRL, Loss of May, injury to Alamati has given him good experience and be even better next year.

Whino

Bench
What’s the likelihood of Parra coming back with a massive offer for Blaize now? Like mentioned earlier, sounds similar to the Fifita situation.

If he does come here though, what does Cole think. He was ear marked for the 6 next wasn’t he not to mention Laurie.

They can, but wasn't their offer more substantial than ours?
The impression I get. They did everything possible to get a deal done, and they are filthy he turned them down.

As Blade said Talagi hasn’t been promised a position. Maybe he plays 5/8, maybe centre next year.
Cole could could still be the next 5/8, or Laurie. I am sure pre-season training will be very competitive.
Good thing is we have options.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
They can, but wasn't their offer more substantial than ours?
The impression I get they did everything possible to get a deal done, and they are filthy he turned them down.

As Blade said Talagi hasn’t been promised a position. Maybe he plays 5/8, maybe centre next year.
Cole could could still be the next 5/8, or Laurie. I am sure pre-season training will be very competitive.
Good thing is we have options.

Like I said before they were offering him fullback. The significance of that can't be overstated. The current captain was to be moved to keep him in one of the most prestigious positions on a football team and he said no.

soc123_au

Staff member
Now that the To'o saga has been definitively put to bed I'm keen to watch Blaize a bit more closely. I never really considered us signing him, so haven't watched him that closely apart from the obvious attacking talent. More interested in seeing his defence now.

Kilkenny

Coach
I just don’t see the ‘offer’ concept of a certain position.

We read so much about our own Stephen Crichton being offered the fullback role as an inducement to sign with the Bulldogs.

If clubs do offer such inducements it certainly doesn’t mean a lot in the end, it almost always comes back to money and the dollars.

There was this false narrative around our club that the boys wanted to stay together, the brotherhood and all, accept less to stay together but it certainly didn’t pan out that way.

In the end those who have left for the most part have left for more money. I don’t blame them, it is what it is.

WestyLife

First Grade
I just don’t see the ‘offer’ concept of a certain position.

We read so much about our own Stephen Crichton being offered the fullback role as an inducement to sign with the Bulldogs.

If clubs do offer such inducements it certainly doesn’t mean a lot in the end, it almost always comes back to money and the dollars.

There was this false narrative around our club that the boys wanted to stay together, the brotherhood and all, accept less to stay together but it certainly didn’t pan out that way.

In the end those who have left for the most part have left for more money. I don’t blame them, it is what it is.

It was a big deal to Eels fans.

betcats

Referee
Lessons for Parra, if you have super talented 18 19 year olds don’t debut them until they sign that extension. Playing Talagi while he had an option to be a free agent next year was just putting him in the shopping window for the other clubs.

Would bet my life if c McLean was off contract next year he’d still be in cup or maybe even flegg.