What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings 2011/2012 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didgi

Continuing on from this thread:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=355497

First up; Matt King (currently at Warrington) :arrow: Souffs.

SOUTHS SIGN MATT KING, MANLY MOVES ON CHERRY-EVANS, DE GOIS SPEAKS

SOUTH Sydney are about to announce the signing of former Australia centre Matt King, Rugby League Week exclusively reveals today.

King, 30, will quit Warrington at the end of the season and reunite with former Melbourne centre partner Greg Inglis at Redfern for the next two years. Talks between King and the Storm broke down last week.

“Ten Tests, nine State of Origins, six foot two, 100 kilos – he gives us a lot of versatility in our backs,” said Bunnies chief executive Shane Richardson tells RLW.

“Matt’s had his time in England and he wants to come home. He’s played under Michael Maguire before, he and GI are great mates.”
http://stevemascord.com/2011/06/28/rlw-media-release-issue-20/

According to Mascord it's already signed, but nothing official yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

AuDragon

Juniors
Souffs doing what they do best. :lol:
Watch Farell do the quality jump to a club near you!

RWB

Bench
What's wrong with the likes of Farrell & Morgan... what a waste of money.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Masoe, won't take that long.

RWB, what do you mean whats wrong with Farrell AND Morgan? Last time I checked you need two centres. Farrell has proven himself as a good NRL player, he'll have 1 centre spot long term, but Morgan still hasn't come that far quite yet. He'll have to keep fighting for his spot.

Matt King is a very good centre/wing. He is exactly what we need in the outside backs once GI makes his move to five eighth, and because most of our other outside backs are slightly undersized and inexpierienced what we need is exactly a 6ft+ big veteran back.

Along the Merritt's and the Roberts we need some more muscle next year to defend against the bigger opposing centres. He's perfect.

And the GI-King partnership should be great, they know each other, they played in a Grand Final together.

This is simply putting one of the last pieces of the puzzle in place.

With yet another Burgess making his way over, we have forwards. We have halves (Inglis will be a great five eighth, and we will bring up a great #7 from our juniors production line). We have a future superstar as our future FB (another junior).

After GI leaves the outside backs, centre/wing will be our biggest remaining hole. This goes a long way to fixing that.

7. Reynolds
6. Inglis
5. Whoever wins out of Mansour and Morgan
4. Farrell
3. King
2. Merritt
1. Roberts

That's a premiership level backline.

King is too old IMO.

Will play centre with Inglis switching to somewhere else in the backline. Fullback seems most likely for mine as Wesser won't be here next year.

Tbh, I would much rather we give some young blokes a run and spend the money on a halfback or some more props.

blain

Juniors
Looks pretty average to me.. 1 make shift half, 1 un tested one, 1 old superleague player, unexperienced full back, centre and wing, seems very average. Cant see Souths getting close next year with that backline.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
*smacks head*

it's said amongst souths fans that shane richardson only signs 30+ year olds who have played for the sharks or the panthers...

well:

King suffered a serious shoulder injury in 2002 while playing off the bench for the Cronulla Sharks reserve grade side and then quit rugby league because of a claimed disinterest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_King

i guess that means he'll definitely be at redfern next year :(

Evil Homer

Staff member
King would probably still be playing Origin if he was in Australia. That said, he does get found out pretty easily at centre. Play him on the wing and he'll go alright.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
The fact of the matter is that around here it wouldn't matter who we signed, it would get slayed for whatever reason. But we only have 3 centres in the squad and that would become 2 if Inglis is moved to the 6 next season, as is expected, so we needed to recruit. He's been going very well for the best team in Super League and is only 30. I think it is a good signing, addressing an area that we do not have great depth. Also, Maguire has been given carte blanche to essentially do as he pleases so this is his call. Suffice to say I'll back it.

Apey

Staff member
7. Reynolds
6. Inglis
5. Whoever wins out of Mansour and Morgan
4. Farrell
3. King
2. Merritt
1. Roberts

That's a premiership level backline.

I don't think King is a bad signing. Besides him and Inglis, that backline is absolutely terrible, though.

BranVan3000

Coach
I don't think King is a bad signing. Besides him and Inglis, that backline is absolutely terrible, though.
Agreed, not to say those players don't have potential (Roberts in particular), but you only need to watch them this year to see that Inglis is the only one doing anything special. Merritt too occasionally when he pops into the fullback role.

The others are way too raw, they'd need a lot of work on the off season

LOL @ calling them premiership material

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Agreed, not to say those players don't have potential (Roberts in particular), but you only need to watch them this year to see that Inglis is the only one doing anything special. Merritt too occasionally when he pops into the fullback role.

The others are way too raw, they'd need a lot of work on the off season

LOL @ calling them premiership material

I think it's because of the system they have at Souths. In a storm, sea eagles or dragons line up they'd be good because they have a set task. They all have ability just need a good game plan.

whall15

Coach
Greg Inglis - 195cm, 108kg
Matt King - 193cm, 100kg

That's quite a heavy centre-pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts