What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Iafeta

Referee
I think the angst on Johnson is badly misplaced. Up until he was injured last year he was right up there in try assists, line break assists. I keep hearing oh he doesn't take the line on, if anything he took it on too much last year. Plus his forwards have generally been rubbish.

Johnson to 6 did happen years ago. It didn't seem a natural fit at all. He touched the ball less which is not what he needs.

POPEYE

Coach
I think the angst on Johnson is badly misplaced. Up until he was injured last year he was right up there in try assists, line break assists. I keep hearing oh he doesn't take the line on, if anything he took it on too much last year. Plus his forwards have generally been rubbish.

Johnson to 6 did happen years ago. It didn't seem a natural fit at all. He touched the ball less which is not what he needs.
Try assists/line break assists are a lot like Dally M points, if you're the only bloke everyone waits on you're bound to stand out

Iafeta

Referee
images

POPEYE

Coach
Right, so Johnson isn't that good because the rest of the team relies on him?
Crikey, your powers of reasoning are a wonderment. Johnson gets a lot of DM points because there's rarely any opposition from his team mates. In the same way if a try is to be assisted or scored it's down to him, it's not like Slater/Cronk/Smith or Thurston/Morgan taking turns for the accolades

Johnson isn't as good as Cronk/Thurston/Norman but neither is anyone else, Johnson is a brilliant athlete more impulsively talented than anyone but he's not smart enough to guide a team . . . like the majority of NRL clubs the Warriors are devoid of such a #7

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Crikey, your powers of reasoning are a wonderment. Johnson gets a lot of DM points because there's rarely any opposition from his team mates. In the same way if a try is to be assisted or scored it's down to him, it's not like Slater/Cronk/Smith or Thurston/Morgan taking turns for the accolades

Johnson isn't as good as Cronk/Thurston/Norman but neither is anyone else, Johnson is a brilliant athlete more impulsively talented than anyone but he's not smart enough to guide a team . . . like the majority of NRL clubs the Warriors are devoid of such a #7
to summarise, Shaun Johnson isn't as good as Corey Norman or a smart?IMG_0972.JPG

Seems a weird signing if true. What are your thoughts on potentially losing Pearce??

I said I'd get back to you on it when I'd had some time to think on it, so here's my thoughts. If we lost Pearce, I would admit to being disappointed. I don't think he's as bad as some people carry on. I think part of the problem is some in the media built him up so much when he was young as the next big thing, and when he didn't quite hit those levels, they somehow think he's hopeless. Cronk is a better halfback I'll give you, thing is he's also 5 years older than Pearce (33 to 28) so at best if we signed Cronk and cut Pearce, we'd be looking for a new halfback in 1-2 years as I doubt Cronk would play more than 2 seasons if he does play on.

Quite a few people put the boot into Pearce after we lost to the Cowboys in the finals, but those people overlook the even worse play from other players (e.g. Ferguson, Jared-Warea Hargreaves, Dylan Napa) who either dropped the ball, or didn't get a lot of yardage. Bit hard for a halfback to set up great plays when he was often getting the ball deep inside his own half due to constant turnovers by his team mates. Not saying he could not have played better, just he was not our worst.

End of the day, it's not my decision. I'll pretty much cheer for any player wearing my club's jersey as long as I know they put in. There've only ever been a few I could say didn't put in when at the Roosters and embarrassed the jersey who I did not support(e.g. Paul Langmack in 1999). Pearce at least tries hard.

Life's Good

Coach
I said I'd get back to you on it when I'd had some time to think on it, so here's my thoughts. If we lost Pearce, I would admit to being disappointed. I don't think he's as bad as some people carry on. I think part of the problem is some in the media built him up so much when he was young as the next big thing, and when he didn't quite hit those levels, they somehow think he's hopeless. Cronk is a better halfback I'll give you, thing is he's also 5 years older than Pearce (33 to 28) so at best if we signed Cronk and cut Pearce, we'd be looking for a new halfback in 1-2 years as I doubt Cronk would play more than 2 seasons if he does play on.

Quite a few people put the boot into Pearce after we lost to the Cowboys in the finals, but those people overlook the even worse play from other players (e.g. Ferguson, Jared-Warea Hargreaves, Dylan Napa) who either dropped the ball, or didn't get a lot of yardage. Bit hard for a halfback to set up great plays when he was often getting the ball deep inside his own half due to constant turnovers by his team mates. Not saying he could not have played better, just he was not our worst.

End of the day, it's not my decision. I'll pretty much cheer for any player wearing my club's jersey as long as I know they put in. There've only ever been a few I could say didn't put in when at the Roosters and embarrassed the jersey who I did not support(e.g. Paul Langmack in 1999). Pearce at least tries hard.
Origin Pearce is the one who cops the criticism much more than club Pearce.
I think Pearce would be a handy pick up for a lot of clubs and maybe that’s what he himself needs?
I agree with what you say about the semi vs. Cowboys that it was your forwards who didn’t aim up which minimised any impact Pearce could have made. It will be interesting what happens especially as you aren’t likely to get more than 3 years out of Cronk. Ironically that might coincide with Cleary coming off contract. Shades of Fittler all over again.

POPEYE

Coach
I disagree somewhat. I'd say he has the physical attributes of a half back, but not the mind of one. At least not a great one.
Spot is not interested in body shapes ol' mate . . . he's talking about trying something special in at least 4 out of 6 tackles

Tiger5150

Bench
i'd love to see pearce go to the tigpies, reynolds to 9 ;)

I know you are trolling, but I'd actually like Pearce a the Tigers. He of course belongs here genetically but I also think he si a very very good halfback at club level and miles ahead of Brooks. Not sure if Brooks is ever going to get there but I hope he does but there is no denying that Pearce would be a upgrade on Brooks (except age of course). Reynolds (who Im not sold on tbh) would say at 6.

TheDMC

Bench

Bro, I'm a big fan of SJ, and he played very well this season but he barely took the line on!

Spot On

Coach
I don't think there's a great deal of difference between the 3.

They're all on massive overs too.

Brooks at least is still developing his game. The other 2 are a case of what you see is what get.