What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Wb1234

Referee
Panthers let jfh go without asking for compensation

they’ve lost a stack of players before that

they are playing by the cap rules whilst winning comps

the nrl shouldn’t intervene if they get him

nick87

Coach
That wasn’t the intention of the cap to begin with but to save clubs from themselves, wasn’t it? And even then, it was meant to function with the draft. The system clearly needs a review, though.

Spot on. A salary cap can not and will not ever be enough on it's own to deliver talent distribution/parity. It's a half measure because it's primary design is not talent distribution but to cap wages at a level that allows the leagues/clubs to remain profitable and restrict poorer clubs from going broke trying to keep up with the Jones'

Valheru

Coach
i dont know mate, i reckon hed be an absolute weapon. would depend which half they paired him with. purely as a rugby league fan id love to see it

in saying all this doesnt he have a history of whoring himself around, only to sting the titans for an extra $100k on his contract every year?
Well my club has entered the race now.

I'm still not sure as he seems to come in and out of games but maybe a change of scene will help

Valheru

Coach
Pay cut, you can't take a pay cut, he is already on a certain amount at the titans, that's obviously a rort in the system, if he was getting less at the titans then yeah, but he on a million, htf does that work out
Panthers and Roosters are offering the same yearly salary which is what I think he is worth. Problem here is Titans and other desperate clubs inflate his value.

Valheru

Coach
Another NRL darling. I’m sure they’ll be sweet as well.
So what's the solution here? He should be forced to play for the titans or the dragons?

In the interest of having an actual conversation about this, how should a player's worth be evaluated? Whatever the highest bidder determines?

I understand in this case he is already earning more than the two clubs are offering as opposed to a player knocking back a higher offer but still getting a pay rise. What if he doesn't want to live in QLD anymore or hates Shane Flanagan? Should he be forced to go to super league?

So what's the solution here? He should be forced to play for the titans or the dragons?

In the interest of having an actual conversation about this, how should a player's worth be evaluated? Whatever the highest bidder determines?

I understand in this case he is already earning more than the two clubs are offering as opposed to a player knocking back a higher offer but still getting a pay rise. What if he doesn't want to live in QLD anymore or hates Shane Flanagan? Should he be forced to go to super league?
I think some are happy with the status quo. Let the basket case clubs dictate market value and continue playing Rugby League Monopoly

nick87

Coach
I think some are happy with the status quo. Let the basket case clubs dictate market value and continue playing Rugby League Monopoly

That's how free markets work... a commodity hits a free market and everyone gets to value it based on their thoughts and opinions. And ultimately the market rate is simply what someone is willing to pay for it.
Not everyone will value the same thing the same way. Fifita is worth more to the Titans than what he is worth to the Panthers/Roosters

Does that mean he should be forced to stay at the Titans against his will? Or play for the Dragons because their offer was the highest? No i don't think so. But conversely if the NRL is serious about talent parity (spoiler alert, they are not) then they really shouldn't be allowing a players contract to be registered, from a cap perspective, significantly below market value.

If he wants to play for the Roosters for less money, he should be allowed to. Maybe he likes Sydney, and sees better post career opportunities or marketing/profile benefits to that. It's his life and he should get to go where he wishes for what ever he wishes.

How the NRL treats that from a salary cap perspective is in my mind a totally different thing.

Anyone else thought it was funny that David Fifita decided to have one of his barnstorming games as he shops himself in the window?

Wb1234

Referee

Good question

the nrl will respond with the desperate clubs set his value

it’s like in an auction where someone overpays for a house

it suits the nrl goal of making players go to the dud clubs

soc123_au

Staff member