What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spot On

Coach
I know a bloke that works for Souths. Apparently they're trying to retain Te'o but if that happens there's a 99% chance McQueen is gone.

Re Bennett, if that comes about it's not too shocking to be honest. I think realistically most people suspected we'd be his last club. He'll be 70 in a few years and I couldn't see him wanting to starting up fresh at a new club. I know a lot of Bronco supporters think he's going back there to finish up as coaching director but he's made it known that his favourite part of coaching is the time with the players so i don't know if that role would suit him.

To be honest I don't think anyone knows what Bennett will do though...least of all the mole.

Souths need a few backs to complement their pack. If they are going to chase a centre or two then they can't keep all the forwards they have. Impossible.

I agree they could possibly keep Teo but will need to wave goodbye to McQueen, who will now receive a significant upgrade to his next contract.

It is not likely Wayne would break the bank unless it is an exceptional forward. McQueen is a great hole runner and his support play is excellent. All for it.

Noname36

First Grade
I've also been hearing rumblings that Te'o is very interested in where Bennett will be next year. Not sure that means he'd consider coming here or he's more interested if Bennett went back to Brisbane... But I've heard the Te'o/Bennett stuff a couple of times now. Didn't give it much thought until someone said in another thread yesterday that we were in talks with Te'o.

I think your getting erect prematurely Showstopper, don't forget his surrounded by the Burgess Boys and Suttons not well........ Snowie and Scott?

Frederick

Staff member
■ It seems Penrith prop Sam McKendry won't be calling Newcastle home any time soon.

Sources in Penrith and Newcastle suggested the Knights had made inquiries about the 24-year-old Kiwi international as a replacement for Russell Packer. But a Knights source told Between The Lines this was not the case.

McKendry, who is contracted to Penrith until the end of 2015 but was one of several players given permission last year to test the market, was not interested even if Newcastle were.

His fiancee works in Sydney and is keen to settle there and, after playing six of seven games this season, the burly prop wants to be part of Penrith's future.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2237665/wayne-bennett-baffled-by-wayward-knights/

Spot On

Coach
Geez, certainly is a challenge for this club to buy a decent prop or two.

I was shocked McQueen was selected for Origin last year but he did his job well, carrying the ball like an absolute beast, made his tackles etc. He's obviously tough and does run good lines. He's a definite upgrade on Houso.

Spot On

Coach
Teo apparently offered 650K from Warriors who are trying to trump French Rugby.

Take the money Ben.

Bye, bye.

McKendry can have Penrith. Good player but this typical sydneycentric bullshit attitude can stay with him. You would think we are on the NSW Vic border.

perverse

Referee
McKendry can have Penrith. Good player but this typical sydneycentric bullshit attitude can stay with him. You would think we are on the NSW Vic border.
You'd think we're on Mars sometimes. The general perception around the NRL may well be that Wayne has lost his edge, because it doesn't seem to be doing us too many favours with recruitment this year.

We've definitely got cap space to burn.

I'm very impressed by how cheaply we've managed to retain Mullo if the reports are correct - 550k a year for him is a bargain, and I'd bet that we could have stretched further to keep him if we were pushed to. We have the money that was set aside for Packer just sitting there under the cap, and we recruited very modestly for this year in anticipation of snagging some big signings for 2015. The cap is also increasing year by year at the moment.

I'm getting a little restless. I'd definitely like to see some signings announced soon. Re-signings are nice... but our retention has always been very good, it's getting blokes to come here in the first place that is tough.

Frederick

Staff member

Sounds like it's his missus forcing him to stay in Sydney. He should ditch her...he doesn't need that kind of negativity in his life

Rod

Bench
It may get to the point, whether it be Sims, Teo or someone else, where we just have to bite the bullet and pay overs for them. We've all deduced that there must be a decent amount of cap space sitting there, not much use if you don't use it.

Nuffy

Bench
Rnb11 seemed way too keen on things and has gone very quiet so I suspect all the signings have fallen over.

I'm not sure we are going to snag anyone of note because we just don't seem capable of it.

At this rate our best hope is some of the 20's kick on.

The issue we have is that it's likely that we need essentially 2 FGers right now for Packer and Alex and another 3-4 very soon to replace Mason, David F, Smith.

Not up and comers but established FGer's. Right now we have recruited no one.

If we don't take dramatic steps to bolster the roster, next year looks bleaker than this year.

Nuffy

Bench
It is not likely Wayne would break the bank unless it is an exceptional forward. McQueen is a great hole runner and his support play is excellent. All for it.

He might need to as we are already two players short in the forwards and little real quality coming through.

If the bloke is staying then he needs to speak up now and pull some rabbits out of hats because otherwise 2015 is going to be as bleak as 2014 is shaping up to be.

We have no real talent in NSW cup, our NRL pack is old and the 20's are 3-4 years away from FG if they actually make it.

Last edited:

Nuffy

Bench
I know that a number of posters wiped Glenn Stewart but he might of been the last realistic chance of signing a creative forward we had.

I would take G. Stewart in a heart beat. Our only other ball playing forward is Snowden, and Beau Scott at a pinch. Stewart and Lyon had a great combination, no reason why he couldnt build that combo with one of our gun centres.

ryana87

Juniors
Rnb11.....please, I beg you.... Please tell us there's some light at the end of the tunnel..... Is there any signings in the near future...... Or are we stuck with this lot for the rest of the year?..... Please give me something to look foward to

Yosh

Coach
I mentioned somewhere else but I'd pay 800k for Fifta. We can save the money to use it more wisely, but we won't... We'll just too up some of the boys again or it'll just sit around in Tink's pocket...

Status
Not open for further replies.