What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

aqua_duck

Coach
As I said, fullback is a very important position. But most influential. Not a chance.

When the fullback is the one securing repeat sets, punting the ball downfield (and actually getting a result) to get good field position , taking field goals, kicking 40/20's, and handling most of the playmaking then I would agree.

The absolute number 1 reason the Knights struggled this season was that we have a rubbish 7 and effectively no 6.
None of those areas you mentioned are strengths of Ponga's. I could maybe see your point if Ponga had a good kicking game but he doesn't so you'd be asking him to learn a whole new skill.

Loose Cannon

Bench
I don’t at all get the whole, move Ponga to 5/8 desire. We have a young exceptionally talented fullback who can ball play like a 5/8. To take away what he offers at fullback is madness. I’d love to sign a 5/8 who can kick and defend and leave Ponga in his most suited position. I really wish Blake green would have worked out for 2020/2021.
Best opinion ever. Beat me to it.

Spot On

Coach
Do you remember when Norman was playing halfback for Parra, before he got done for pingers? He was one of the form players of the competition. His form was so good that some in the media were talking about him being Qld's next halfback. He also got his 900K a year contract at that time. If we signed him, I would play him halfback with Hunt 5/8.

I wonder if Frank would happily wave goodbye to Norman now?

Burwood

Bench
Can’t believe what Sione’s career has amounted to after all the initial hype and hope. Getting shifted around continuously was quite detrimental to his development, but he was being touted as a future club captain, rep star and probably looking at being the club’s most capped player when he finished his career.

Spot On

Coach
Norman with his head straight is a huge upgrade at 5/8. He played Origin last year.

Head straight - 10% of his career??

Too harsh??

Talent - yes.

Chance of that talent being applied and recognised here???

It may well be that O'Brien will become so desperate for a kicking option in this side that he takes a chance on Norman. But ffs, it needs to be a very cheap deal for us.

I can't believe we are at this point.

aqua_duck

Coach
Can’t believe what Sione’s career has amounted to after all the initial hype and hope. Getting shifted around continuously was quite detrimental to his development, but he was being touted as a future club captain, rep star and probably looking at being the club’s most capped player when he finished his career.
I think Sione was very advanced from an early age for 2 main reasons, firstly he was pretty much the size he is now when he was 16-17, physically he was alot more mature than most guys his age and secondly having 3 old brothers who were all in either 1st grade and/or junior rep teams would've been huge for him at that age. Most kids that age are playing PlayStation with their mates or surfing he would've been training with 1st graders (Pete) or Australian schoolboys reps (Pat).

aqua_duck

Coach
Head straight - 10% of his career??

Too harsh??

Talent - yes.

Chance of that talent being applied and recognised here???

It may well be that O'Brien will become so desperate for a kicking option in this side that he takes a chance on Norman. But ffs, it needs to be a very cheap deal for us.

I can't believe we are at this point.
I'd take a punt on Norman of he were 24-25 but he's 30 in a few months, to think we can change a lifetime of habits in an off season is naive

Jono078

Referee
I'd really be disappointed if we signed Norman.

I hope Blake sticks around. He could be an asset in as a developing coach. I wouldn't think he'd recover in time to be playing for the Dogs, or at least it wouldnt be until mid next year until he starts his season?

Happy for Sione to go to St Helens and retire with some cash. Maybe a year or two away might do him well.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Isn't the "story" about Norman and Sione coming from the Telegraph ?

Possibly AOB waved hello to Norman when we played the Dragons last and Sione liked a friends photo on Instagram