What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

The Newcastle Knights have beaten St George-Illawarra to secure rugby league’s number one recruitment guru Peter O’Sullivan.

O’Sullivan is the man who, alongside Wayne Bennett, built the Dolphins roster for their entry into the NRL to become such an overnight success story.

He has previously worked at Melbourne Storm, the Roosters and the New Zealand Warriors where he discovered and signed the likes of Greg Inglis, Israel Folau, Boyd Cordner, Latrell Mitchell and Joey Manu as unknown teenagers.

It is a significant signing for the Knights, a heartland rugby league franchise with a massive junior nursery and a potential development and pathways system that should be as strong as Penrith.

He is expected to leave the Dolphins straight away.

Two weeks ago O’Sullivan appeared certain to be heading to the St George-Illawarra Dragons after several meetings with coach Shane Flanagan.

But Knights coach Adam O’Brien and general manager of football Peter Parr convinced him to head to Newcastle.

Newcastle have a number of key players coming off contract next year including Great Britain imports Kai Pearce-Paul and Will Pryce.

Pearce Paul has been one of the buys of the year on the edge for the Knights this year.

They also have Jackson Hastings, Adam Elliott, Jayden Brailey, Leo Thompson, Jack Hetherington, Dylan Lucas and Thomas Jenkins free to negotiate with rival clubs from November.

O’Sullivan’s thoughts on Hastings will be of particular interest.

The Sunday Telegraph reported last weekend that the Knights had reached out to NRL 360 host Braith Anasta in regards to his halfback Lachlan Ilias, who has been granted permission to negotiate with rival clubs.

He wouldn't be coming if he wasnt convinced he'd have tools to recruit with and be a success. Guaranteed - his record would suggest this is possibly one of the most important signings in the clubs history, I'm excited for this.

As for the players free to negotiate from November - Keep KPP, Lucas and Leo . The rest can go, and sooner the better.

Let's finally give KP a team to win a Premiership with.

Knight Tales

Bench
I would not be confident if I was a player going through the motions at this club. O’Sullivan would not be coming here if he wasn’t being given a clean slate. I would not dare to speculate on where this will go but we need to appreciate the long game being played by Parr and Phil G. They may not give the vibe of an open book but my lord do they know how to get their chosen targets.

Knight Tales

Bench
Yeah it's interesting that we have a few roster spots that just opened up too. Could be nothing, but a bit of a "watch this space" I guess.
With 3/4 of our spine OC either this year or next it is not hard to see where his priority will be to start with. Getting KP who he needs to be at his most lethal.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
This is really positive news. The player market is really bare when it comes to good halves and hookers so I hope O’Sullivan can uncover a few good ones out there.

Last edited: