What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
Merkins expecting bulk new signings will be disappointed. We have Paulo and Ferguson, and probably Lane. After that there might be some re-signings announced but some of our gun juniors are likely to finally be ready for the top 30. Or more likely, we’ll have to offer top 30 contracts prematurely, just to keep them away from the Dogs and Manly. It's very exciting.

Of all clubs we perhaps have the 2 biggest signings. Lane is a very good signing too.
We havent lost anyone who contributed to first grade a whole lot. Throw Manu into side along with Nikauore and Kafusi having another off season and it is a complete different forward pack. Also Brown missed a lot of game.
The other thing to note is not to many guys are on decline. I also expect Alvaro,Tepai and Terepo to improve, even if only slightly they have yet to hit peaks.

TheRam

Coach
Because size didn’t matter as much back then. It’s why we won all those games in 2016-17. It wasn’t until the penalty-thon that slowed the game so much this year that it became so hard to fatigue the big merkins that size became such a massive advantage. Before this year you could outmanoeuvre and out-enthuse the big packs.

Next year it’ll probably go back to free flowing footy and Junior Paulo will be gassed after ten minutes. That’s how our luck tends to fall.

Not true. Fake news. Go watch the interview with Cameron Smith( I couldn't be F'ed finding it) I think in 2016 where he explains that he sat down with the coach and they decided that the needed to add more SIZE to their pack/team and then they could compete with the better teams, which they did and they went on to win the premiership.

Sure you can have a season or two where a smaller enthusiastic, good team will perform well during the season and make the playoffs, but after a season or two of getting bashed and smashed around by the BIGGER teams it wears them out and injuries pile up and before you know it they run out of juice and those same players are a shadow of their former selves and a wooden spoon is won.

Size matters in the NRL. Hell it even matters in manzie panzy soccer. Who would of thunk it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Except the Storm really don’t have a lot of size in their team. Outside of NAS they are all about average size for their position. Bromwich isn’t great because he’s bigger than other forwards. He’s great because of his work rate and footwork. They also have Kasiano who they forced to lose 20 kilos and now he’s no better than Kane Evans.

Their wingers are skinny too.

Noise

Coach
Except the Storm really don’t have a lot of size in their team. Outside of NAS they are all about average size for their position. Bromwich isn’t great because he’s bigger than other forwards. He’s great because of his work rate and footwork. They also have Kasiano who they forced to lose 20 kilos and now he’s no better than Kane Evans.

Their wingers are skinny too.

Bromwich is great because he has great footwork and work rate AND he’s a big unit.

T.S Quint

Coach
Bromwich is great because he has great footwork and work rate and he’s a big unit AND he’s allegedly high on banned substances at times

hindy111

Post Whore
Our props struggled a lot due too BA limiting offloads along with injuries and most of all poor starts to our sets from the backs which put the forward and halves on back foot from the get go.
Also not having a back who was capable of a 50mtr run from nothing that would swing the momentum of the game hurt.
Yung Jennings did a job but he hardly had the explosiveness to do a 20 -30mtr run. Gutherson lacked it also but he will come good 2019. Signs where there late in 2018. Acl remember.
MJ looked cooked but I wouldn't be suprised being a contract year if he has a great year.

T.S Quint

Coach
“Listen up you f**ken loosers...I don’t want to see any f**ken offloads out there, ya hear me! I want those offloads f**ken LIMITED! Even if you are in a situation where an offload would work, I’d better not see ya f**ken try it!”

- Brad Arthur, 2018.

*allegedly

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
“Listen up you f**ken loosers...I don’t want to see any f**ken offloads out there, ya hear me! I want those offloads f**ken LIMITED! Even if you are in a situation where an offload would work, I’d better not see ya f**ken try it!”

- Brad Arthur, 2018.

*allegedly

Exactly. Arthur has always promoted what he describes as "Parra footy" but you have to work hard on the field to be able to play "Parra footy"

T.S Quint

Coach
Exactly. Arthur has always promoted what he describes as "Parra footy" but you have to work hard on the field to be able to play "Parra footy"

I would think that if he was trying to limit offloads then Takairangi would be the last player he would want in the side...which is obviously not the case.