What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Given none of our lot make 200m (yet) I do think so.

But can understand why we would pass on him
If Mannah or Alvaro played the same number of minutes and made as many runs they would crack 200 metres as well. Brown made 200m a couple of times, didn't he?

84 Baby

Referee
well he'd be cheap, no one else would want him
This is a fair point. He’d easily be the best player available to fill 29th squad spot. By a very considerable margin. Even with current balance of squad, you’d jump all over that. The only reason you wouldn’t is cap cost and more so future cap cost

Bandwagon

Staff member
Tolman's very much a workman like prop in attack and can punch out some big minutes, but Alvaro would smash him for work rate in defence, and Mannah is more reliable, both with the ball in hand and defensively.

We don't need more workers, as a backup he would be awesome for depth, but as part of our rotation wouldn't offer much, and wouldn't improve our balance.

strider

Post Whore
Fact is tigers are desperate and got rid of. Then dpgs sacked. Now would they have to compensate him?
Id say he will have a year off before any clubs talk too. Im sure Broncos can sign him up for 80k.
They will sign him for 80k and release him to free up 200k

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/39354775/eels-big-men-brush-aside-peter-sterling-comments/

Eels forwards brush aside Sterling comments
Steve Zemek
AAP / an hour ago

Parramatta's big men have brushed aside a critique from club great Peter Sterling that the blue and golds are in need of a quality front-rower.

Despite Sterling's veiled criticism of last year's signing of Jarryd Hayne, Eels middle men Nathan Brown and Daniel Alvaro said they had the pack to match the best in the NRL.

After Hayne's return to Sydney's west was secured, Sterling said he believed the cross-code star's reported $500,000 salary would have been better spent securing another representative-level prop.

"If you have that money to spend, we probably need another class front-rower to bolster that position," Sterling said at the time.

It led coach Brad Arthur to defend his front-row rotation, which this year had added Kane Evans.

"I don't really read too much media. But I'm really confident in what we've got here," Alvaro said when asked whether the Eels' front row was lacking.

Alvaro said he was buoyed in the confidence in him shown by Arthur and it had shown in his football.

"It's just the culture he's formed here," Alvaro said.

"Just how he can get everyone to buy in all the time, he gets everyone wanting to work hard.

"I think everyone finds it easy to buy in."

Brown enjoyed a breakout 2017 under Arthur after his defection from South Sydney.

He shrugged off his unsavoury reputation and made the sixth-most metres of any forward in the competition - behind Jason Taumalolo, Paul Gallen, Scott Bolton, Josh McGuire and Martin Taupau.

"The first time I met him, I said to my manager 'this is the club I'd like to be at'. Luckily enough, I fitted in well. He's really helped me enjoy my footy," Brown said of Arthur.

"He's very protective of his players and that's what we love about him. He puts all the trust in us and we trust him."