What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yo-yo test. A variation of the beep test.
PpC34cj.gif

Gronk

Staff member
I like what someone said above about attitudes. Waking merkins up at 3am and ask them to perform has little to do with fitness and football. Moreso, I expect that Gutho would be lol bring it on and some might be WTF no way. That does tell the coach who have the right attitudes, but it also educates the no way guys what it means to be an elite player and the importance of the right mindset when you face adversity.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I agree it's worth trying something different but I don't think anyone is really losing it over this, more questioning its validity. It makes sense for the armed forces because in that situation they are testing them actually doing their job under extreme conditions, which they are likely to face. If you use it for footy players though you're testing them doing a different job entirely. I suspect you'd learn more about them by having them do footy stuff while buggered.
I also don't think every club does this stuff, and as we've learned, even the Storm only make their new recruits do it. So I think it's fair to debate its merits.

The storm don't need to do it to their existing players because they don't have shit attitudes on the field, so they need to see if the new players are gonna turn up with the no complaining attitude. We need to do it to existing players because a lot of them had shit attitudes last year.

Gronk

Staff member

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The simple beep test tells a lot about a player too. Sure the fittest prevail, but many fold early because they are not strong in the mind.

Love to know how Jarryd goes in beep tests.
Bootcamps test the individual but also provide an additional element where teamwork and collaboration is critical (both of which are essential for team to be successful).