What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Dibs

Bench
Scrap firstly I looked it up. I always thought the term was a bumfight. Apparently that’s when two bums go at it, sometimes with broken bottles

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Eels agreed to pay Watmough 75 per cent of his contract fee for the 2017-18 seasons, an amount totalling $892,500.
So he was contracted for less than $600k per year. What do merkins think he was worth? Or what would he have been worth if he played out his contract?

Happy MEel

First Grade
So he was contracted for less than $600k per year. What do merkins think he was worth? Or what would he have been worth if he played out his contract?
$600k is a pretty bloody decent wage for a declining 34/35 year old. We also have no way of knowing what his first few years salary was.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I heard some bloke on the Abc talking about how the All Blacks train to go up a gear in the final 20 mins of a game. It's why they are almost unbeatable. I don't know the details of how they do it but it would almost certainly include some sort of training while fatigued. If that's what the staff is trying to achieve then I can see the point.

Yo-yo test. A variation of the beep test.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I reckon if flogging people at 3am was the sort of training that helps you win tough games then teams wouldn't only do it once a year. The same for judging their character. That's why I think it's mostly a gimmick. I realise you're not claiming either of those things.

Sand dunes is also a test of character. The amount of running they do in that drill doesn't help physically.

Dibs

Bench
I was going to but I wanted to double it first so I put it all into crypto currency.
Genius. So would you first put the money from your house into cryptocurrency, then buy scratchies with the doubles amount, then double it again with more cryptocurrency? Or is this extra step to risky?

Genius. So would you first put the money from your house into cryptocurrency, then buy scratchies with the doubles amount, then double it again with more cryptocurrency? Or is this extra step to risky?
Eventually yes, another go on crypto, but before then I would diversify with some keno and a couple of horses that look speedy but are paying at least 50-1.

Happy MEel

First Grade
TBH, I reckon it was largely a PR exercise as the photographer was also onhand and the club promoted it pretty heavily via their socials.

Merkins would love seeing the players get flogged after an unacceptable 2018 season and there are clear similarities to a certain Hollywood blockbuster to get people excited.

I think he has to try something different or it’s goodnight BA, why peeps are losing it over this is mystifying?
I agree it's worth trying something different but I don't think anyone is really losing it over this, more questioning its validity. It makes sense for the armed forces because in that situation they are testing them actually doing their job under extreme conditions, which they are likely to face. If you use it for footy players though you're testing them doing a different job entirely. I suspect you'd learn more about them by having them do footy stuff while buggered.
I also don't think every club does this stuff, and as we've learned, even the Storm only make their new recruits do it. So I think it's fair to debate its merits.

Bolgeel

Juniors
F
I agree it's worth trying something different but I don't think anyone is really losing it over this, more questioning its validity. It makes sense for the armed forces because in that situation they are testing them actually doing their job under extreme conditions, which they are likely to face. If you use it for footy players though you're testing them doing a different job entirely. I suspect you'd learn more about them by having them do footy stuff while buggered.
I also don't think every club does this stuff, and as we've learned, even the Storm only make their new recruits do it. So I think it's fair to debate its merits.
Fair enough but it’s purely to test their ability to perform and unite under duress, nothing more and nothing less. Hopefully the coaching staff will learn about their attitudes as well. I don’t think we can look into or make too much of it but I understand the conjecture

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
$600k is a pretty bloody decent wage for a declining 34/35 year old. We also have no way of knowing what his first few years salary was.
We do know the first year was heavily subsidised by Manly.

He would've been on overs for sure but when he left us he was coming back into form. He was worth about $500k. But that was in 2015. Three years later he surely would've been on the slowdown. What price leadership though? We'll never know.