What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

That's what I was getting at. I think if it had've been anyone else they would have likely copped a suspension. But Hindy was well liked and a crucial part of our teams... Fui would cop 10 weeks for some of the stuff Hindy got downgrades and exonerations for lol...
Yeah but I wasn't saying we get shafted. Not all the time anyway. But in general it's better for the top teams because they have more star players.

forward pass

Coach
I’ve said this over and over - but a decent lawyer will get players off nearly all the time. Go back the last few years and players who have challenged their charge have won on most occasions. Look at Slater and the shoulder charge before the GF last year. You can beat anything.

It really pisses me off that our club rarely if ever fights these charges on behalf of the players. How they accepted the Jennings charge in Round 1 was disgraceful. Not even a wimper.

strider

Post Whore
Why does a good lawyer get people off? .... its not a court of law ... its just a bunch of merkins deciding ... why can't they just go, "f**k that, you are talking shit - 5 weeks" .... are the members of the judiciary really that easy to con?

Why does a good lawyer get people off? .... its not a court of law ... its just a bunch of merkins deciding ... why can't they just go, "f**k that, you are talking shit - 5 weeks" .... are the members of the judiciary really that easy to con?

Because they force the judiciary to consider each aspect of their decision process.

The bigger issue is the discount for guilty plea system. It has nothing to do with justice, and while there may be some arguments for it in low-level criminal law cases (i.e. cost of court cases), it contributes massively to the sense of injustice that fans feel with respect to NRL judiciary decisions.

forward pass

Coach

Because some dude who has been practising law for 30 years is up against 3 former league players who think a court is somewhere you play tennis. Not hard to work out.

strider

Post Whore
Because some dude who has been practising law for 30 years is up against 3 former league players who think a court is somewhere you play tennis. Not hard to work out.
The point is, is all just talk .... The judiciary panel need to have a f**kin clue and use logic .... What happens if they tell the lawyer, no? ... Nothing

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta centre Michael Jennings will hold crunch talks with coach Brad Arthur tomorrow and the outcome could determine whether the Eels enter the fray for Newcastle outcast Jesse Ramien.

Jennings is off contract at the end of the year but he wants to stay at Parramatta and play an ongoing role in their resurgence — the club is in sixth place heading into Saturday afternoon’s meeting with the Knights, having finished last year with the wooden spoon.

Parramatta have tabled a one-year offer and while that might be acceptable to Jennings, he acknowledges he has more than himself to consider after become a father for the first time this year.

“I’m happy to stay here but I really have to think about my future as well,” Jennings said.

“I just had a little kid and I need to weigh up my family’s future. One year doesn’t hurt (me) but for my family it will hurt.

“At the moment I’m going to try to finalise it this Friday. I’m meeting with Brad on Friday and hopefully we can sort it then.

“I’d like to stay for two years, so it’s just how many years. I’d like to sort it Friday. I would have liked it to be sorted three months ago.

“The good thing is I’m not putting too much time and energy into it. It is my future but I trust Isaac [manager Isaac Moses] will get it done.”

Meeting with Arthur on the verge of a game against Newcastle adds to the intrigue. Jennings was once in the sights of the Knights when they were in the midst of a major rebuild — they pursued him at the end of 2017 — but ultimately he elected to stay at the Eels.

Newcastle instead turned their attention to Ramien and that decision backfired last week when the Knights made the decision to cut him loose.

Parramatta were among the clubs linked with the young centre when news seeped out of his exit from Newcastle, although their interest is likely to be largely contingent on Jennings. Should he stay for a further 12 months, the Eels have young players emerging through their system and are happy to play the waiting game.

If he goes, Ramien could come on the radar given Parramatta have money to spend and are believed to have let their interest lapse in Melbourne front-rower Christian Welch.

Jennings was as shocked as anyone to see Ramien depart the Knights, having experienced first-hand the young centre’s talents.

“It is hard moving teams,” Jennings said.

“I know, I have moved to two clubs and it is hard for players to make that transition. It is sad … He is really talented. He is really strong, really hard to handle.

“A few glimpses of him during the year you saw how strong he was, he was breaking tackles. Against the Warriors he was killing it. It is a bit of a loss.”

The Eels have plenty at stake against Newcastle. A win would keep alive their hopes of finishing in the top four, a loss would consign them back into the dogfight at the bottom of the top eight.

The Knights arrive at Bankwest Stadium having lost five in a row, their season now on the line as they desperately cling to hope of playing in the finals.

“We had the same situation playing them at Newcastle when they were five losses in a row,” Jennings said.

“They played us and beat us. We played them into form. It is the same situation. This week is not about them — it is about us. Our focus is not where they are at.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/346ddeca2677405b77dadc7389bffc32

Soto

Bench
That's why the club should have challenged the Terepo hit on Rapana.
If you watch it closely a couple things stand out.
He comes across trying to wrap up Rapana. Its not a swinging arm. When he meets him, Rapana is falling making the impact look worse because he strikes him in the nose. The tackle is careless not reckless. No way he deserved 3 weeks. Burgess is much worse and gets FA and been to the judiciary 10 times. Burgess is a grub but cause Soufs are pride of the league there is leniency there.
Players like him, JWH and Mcguire should have been given long sentences but there is no-one with the kahunas to deliver the good news that grubs like them should not be allowed to play.
Nothing wrong with aggression but if it goes wrong see you later

Soto

Bench
Parramatta centre Michael Jennings will hold crunch talks with coach Brad Arthur tomorrow and the outcome could determine whether the Eels enter the fray for Newcastle outcast Jesse Ramien.

Jennings is off contract at the end of the year but he wants to stay at Parramatta and play an ongoing role in their resurgence — the club is in sixth place heading into Saturday afternoon’s meeting with the Knights, having finished last year with the wooden spoon.

Parramatta have tabled a one-year offer and while that might be acceptable to Jennings, he acknowledges he has more than himself to consider after become a father for the first time this year.

“I’m happy to stay here but I really have to think about my future as well,” Jennings said.

“I just had a little kid and I need to weigh up my family’s future. One year doesn’t hurt (me) but for my family it will hurt.

“At the moment I’m going to try to finalise it this Friday. I’m meeting with Brad on Friday and hopefully we can sort it then.

“I’d like to stay for two years, so it’s just how many years. I’d like to sort it Friday. I would have liked it to be sorted three months ago.

“The good thing is I’m not putting too much time and energy into it. It is my future but I trust Isaac [manager Isaac Moses] will get it done.”

Meeting with Arthur on the verge of a game against Newcastle adds to the intrigue. Jennings was once in the sights of the Knights when they were in the midst of a major rebuild — they pursued him at the end of 2017 — but ultimately he elected to stay at the Eels.

Newcastle instead turned their attention to Ramien and that decision backfired last week when the Knights made the decision to cut him loose.

Parramatta were among the clubs linked with the young centre when news seeped out of his exit from Newcastle, although their interest is likely to be largely contingent on Jennings. Should he stay for a further 12 months, the Eels have young players emerging through their system and are happy to play the waiting game.

If he goes, Ramien could come on the radar given Parramatta have money to spend and are believed to have let their interest lapse in Melbourne front-rower Christian Welch.

Jennings was as shocked as anyone to see Ramien depart the Knights, having experienced first-hand the young centre’s talents.

“It is hard moving teams,” Jennings said.

“I know, I have moved to two clubs and it is hard for players to make that transition. It is sad … He is really talented. He is really strong, really hard to handle.

“A few glimpses of him during the year you saw how strong he was, he was breaking tackles. Against the Warriors he was killing it. It is a bit of a loss.”

The Eels have plenty at stake against Newcastle. A win would keep alive their hopes of finishing in the top four, a loss would consign them back into the dogfight at the bottom of the top eight.

The Knights arrive at Bankwest Stadium having lost five in a row, their season now on the line as they desperately cling to hope of playing in the finals.

“We had the same situation playing them at Newcastle when they were five losses in a row,” Jennings said.

“They played us and beat us. We played them into form. It is the same situation. This week is not about them — it is about us. Our focus is not where they are at.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/346ddeca2677405b77dadc7389bffc32
If there is no other player lined up eg. Curtis Scott, Semi or Jesse Ramien then give him 2 years but surely much less than his initial contract..
Ethan Parry will see more game time next year and will be a worthy replacement in the future

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with Pou on this. I think star players, particularly from powerful clubs, are dealt with more leniently on average.

if you look at whom is on the judiciary panel, they were decent or well known players but not "stars" and I think you are spot on here as they are only human and can be intimidated by some of the big name players and so they provide some leniency, especially if it involves rubbing out a player from playing in a SOO or final. Hence Burgess gets leniency.

Much like some of the refs are intimidated by the likes of Cam360.

Gronk

Staff member
if you look at whom is on the judiciary panel, they were decent or well known players but not "stars" and I think you are spot on here as they are only human and can be intimidated by some of the big name players and so they provide some leniency, especially if it involves rubbing out a player from playing in a SOO or final. Hence Burgess gets leniency.

Much like some of the refs are intimidated by the likes of Cam360.

I think it needs to be understood that the NRL have their own barrister and the "jury of peers" are the three former players.

Pkent went all red face last night painting a picture of a $5000 suit QC head spinning the MRC with big words and complex arguments.

Not entirely true as the NRL QC has the opportunity for rebuttal.

hindy111

Post Whore
Or option of a fine for players for finals games.
No fans want to see the best players out. Especially for an accidental head high. It's a physical sport. They will alway happen.