What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bazal

Post Whore
Raiders your team Baz?

Only in the sense that I live here and have to put up with some of them out and about...footy players or otherwise, there are plenty of branded twits down here already

The last thing Canberra needs is a brainless thug like Hetherington out at Mooseheads every weekend...

Glenneel

Bench
I'd be happy with producing guys like Jnr Paulo level. Better then average but not origin level. Like Gutherson or Lane for example.

We seem to have very little bar below average squad fillers. Brown and Mahoney may be the exceptions of late. Perhaps Matterson we can count but like Jnr we let go and would be paying premium to get them back.

Guys like Terepo or Moera are hardly much to be excited about.Oh we did have Mitch Allgood and 5yrs of pain with Mannah clogging down our forwards. Name 3 quality forwards we have produced in the last 15 years who would be even mentioned for origin?
Must we go back to Hindmarsh in 1999 debut. 20yrs ago. Embarrassing for a club like ours.
Something is not right if we dont have atleast 4 forwards in our side that have come via our system. Next season I only see JNR and reason why I wont get excited about Kafusi or Stefano just yet. We seem unable to develop forwards or backs of any quality in the last 15yrs. An I the only one who can see this? Something has to be done at junior level cause it seems the guys in charge are not getting the job done.
The hyped up backs of Dunster,Parry,FabianGoodal,Akafalou,Lavaka,Tui Aufalo just to name a few who people rated that come to mind. Barely NSW cup level.
Agree Hindy, obviously our systems are shit. All our juniors have glaring deficiencies, be it poor tackling technique to be unable to pass/offload the ball, etc. Other teams juniors come into their NRL side and seem to seamlessly fit in so the question is why? I've heard that Sharkies JF side train with their NRL side so there is no big transition when promoted. Maybe we should be doing that because it always seems to be a step too far for our juniors.

So much for the supposed systems BA has put in place and we're still shit at it. BA has been here since 2014 and nothing has really changed. Our talent identification has apparently changed, more athletic types now instead of size, but the same result. Zilch, none, nothing. Hopefully with our own NSW Cup team things may change, we can only hope.

Glenneel

Bench
Only in the sense that I live here and have to put up with some of them out and about...footy players or otherwise, there are plenty of branded twits down here already

The last thing Canberra needs is a brainless thug like Hetherington out at Mooseheads every weekend...
Live on the Gold Coast. If you want genuine dick heads come up here, the dick head capital of the world.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Well, Mannah actually played Origin (4 times). We developed Matterson, he got mentioned. While nobody really developed Ma'u, at his peak he would have been mentioned if eligible.

Well did we develop Matterson into an NRL player?
We released hin from a 3 or 4 yr contract after he fell to Ron Massey cup. Roosters polished him into an NRL player.

hindy111

Post Whore
Well, Mannah actually played Origin (4 times). We developed Matterson, he got mentioned. While nobody really developed Ma'u, at his peak he would have been mentioned if eligible.

Mannah was great for his first 5yrs but punished us with a further 5yrs of average.But yes 1 guy in 10yrs.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'd be happy with producing guys like Jnr Paulo level. Better then average but not origin level. Like Gutherson or Lane for example.

We seem to have very little bar below average squad fillers. Brown and Mahoney may be the exceptions of late. Perhaps Matterson we can count but like Jnr we let go and would be paying premium to get them back.

Guys like Terepo or Moera are hardly much to be excited about.Oh we did have Mitch Allgood and 5yrs of pain with Mannah clogging down our forwards. Name 3 quality forwards we have produced in the last 15 years who would be even mentioned for origin?
Must we go back to Hindmarsh in 1999 debut. 20yrs ago. Embarrassing for a club like ours.
Something is not right if we dont have atleast 4 forwards in our side that have come via our system. Next season I only see JNR and reason why I wont get excited about Kafusi or Stefano just yet. We seem unable to develop forwards or backs of any quality in the last 15yrs. An I the only one who can see this? Something has to be done at junior level cause it seems the guys in charge are not getting the job done.
The hyped up backs of Dunster,Parry,FabianGoodal,Akafalou,Lavaka,Tui Aufalo just to name a few who people rated that come to mind. Barely NSW cup level.

panthers don’t seem to do much better.....

hindy111

Post Whore
Agree Hindy, obviously our systems are shit. All our juniors have glaring deficiencies, be it poor tackling technique to be unable to pass/offload the ball, etc. Other teams juniors come into their NRL side and seem to seamlessly fit in so the question is why? I've heard that Sharkies JF side train with their NRL side so there is no big transition when promoted. Maybe we should be doing that because it always seems to be a step too far for our juniors.

So much for the supposed systems BA has put in place and we're still shit at it. BA has been here since 2014 and nothing has really changed. Our talent identification has apparently changed, more athletic types now instead of size, but the same result. Zilch, none, nothing. Hopefully with our own NSW Cup team things may change, we can only hope.

Just seems like a long time before drinks for us to bring a quality player into NRL. And a club our size shouldn't have this issue. Is it we go for bigger kids at the young levels who lack skill for NRL. Or is it our coaching or development side.I tend to think it's this. Storm arent getting lucky all the time with players they bring in or develop and neither are the Roosters. I'd say they have smarter guys getting the players physically and mentally up for the battle.

hindy111

Post Whore
panthers don’t seem to do much better.....

This is false. I think one game this year they had a team of 16 juniors in it. And that was after letting Blake and DWZ go.
The problem at this club is they over rated some juniors. Gould f**ked up here. But I am sure they will bounce back and unleash another 2 or 3 debutants next season.
Perhaps we can buy a few of them once they are not required out there.

hindy111

Post Whore

Can Ricky turn this kid into what I felt he could of been? I always liked his aggression but he couldn't even get a start for the NSW cup side. Perhaps a flopm

84 Baby

Referee
Just seems like a long time before drinks for us to bring a quality player into NRL. And a club our size shouldn't have this issue. Is it we go for bigger kids at the young levels who lack skill for NRL. Or is it our coaching or development side.I tend to think it's this. Storm arent getting lucky all the time with players they bring in or develop and neither are the Roosters. I'd say they have smarter guys getting the players physically and mentally up for the battle.
Our junior problem has been obvious for decades. We consistently dominate younger levels (SG/HM) because we have great physical specimens with superb playing skill, each individually capable of being rep stars. The problem is we have at least double digits of them in each squad. So when Moderate-sized Jimmy is having a wowser, Big Jimmy knows he can phone it in, and vice versa.
While Jimmy Shit Team from another shit team, learns that unless he performs at his best every week then his team of useless kents are going to get thrashed. Those attitudes will stick for awhile as each player progresses to NRL.
Although we also can’t just say let’s sign a couple of good youngsters and surround them with turds

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
This is false. I think one game this year they had a team of 16 juniors in it. And that was after letting Blake and DWZ go.
The problem at this club is they over rated some juniors. Gould f**ked up here. But I am sure they will bounce back and unleash another 2 or 3 debutants next season.
Perhaps we can buy a few of them once they are not required out there.

Interesting........

so let’s see, have 16 juniors in it and fail to the make the semis or have a side with 8 club debuts in it (from our last game) and make the finals .......

I know what I wouId rather.....

hindy111

Post Whore
Interesting........

so let’s see, have 16 juniors in it and fail to the make the semis or have a side with 8 club debuts in it (from our last game) and make the finals .......

I know what I wouId rather.....

Most Sydney sides wont make finals each year.
We have done well 2/3 yrs. They have done well 4/5 yrs.
Both have been better then a lot of teams in the last 3 or 4 years.
I'd say we had a some chance of taking the title in 2017 while they never once had a side capable.
But what is your point? I reckon we got heaps lucky in 2017 and I pointed it out at the time with Semi,Manu and KE. We had 3 guys worth a lot more then what where paid. Semi playing like a 900k player and KE also performing like a 600k forward.

The beauty of juniors coming in constantly is you generaly get a few good value years. And if keep them is for a little bit less. Plus if they do leave it usualy weakened other teams salary cap as they have to pay overs to get them.
By end of 2021 Mahoney and DBrown wont be cheap.And Moses,Rcg,Jnr and Gutherson will be taking quite a bit of cash. I am unsure how long our window is. If we can keep this spine together we could be in a long window. But our best shot may be in 2021

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I pointed it out at the time with Semi,Manu and KE. We had 3 guys worth a lot more then what where paid. Semi playing like a 900k player and KE also performing like a 600k forward.

Ah ok isn’t that good player identification, 3 players debuting for us on unders .......oh ok it’s luck for us, good management for the panthers.....so:

The beauty of juniors coming in constantly is you generaly get a few good value years. And if keep them is for a little bit less.

But but but, we did that, got some good value...... ?

The beauty of juniors coming in constantly is you generaly get a few good value years. And if keep them is for a little bit less. Plus if they do leave it usualy weakened other teams salary cap as they have to pay overs to get them.

Ah ok, that’s good for us then??

By end of 2021 Mahoney and DBrown wont be cheap.

Oh shit it’s not! I thought having juniors was good and cheaper to keep

And Moses,Rcg,Jnr and Gutherson will be taking quite a bit of cash.

That’s only 4 players.....fairly confident we may have some cap space for some more quality players and also a special thanks to panthers contributing to our cap space........

TheRam

Coach
Breaking: Once in a generation players only come around once in a generation.

And he was offered to us and we said no because he wanted some of his salary up front. The kid was the best in his age group and we stuffed up the once in a generation player on what principle?

Lets hope that decision doesn't come back to haunt us. Oh wait...

TheRam

Coach
Our junior problem has been obvious for decades. We consistently dominate younger levels (SG/HM) because we have great physical specimens with superb playing skill, each individually capable of being rep stars. The problem is we have at least double digits of them in each squad. So when Moderate-sized Jimmy is having a wowser, Big Jimmy knows he can phone it in, and vice versa.
While Jimmy Shit Team from another shit team, learns that unless he performs at his best every week then his team of useless kents are going to get thrashed. Those attitudes will stick for awhile as each player progresses to NRL.
Although we also can’t just say let’s sign a couple of good youngsters and surround them with turds

If that is truly the issue, which I doubt, then it would be a coaching issue for not being able to address this behaviour in our super star kids.

So you're saying that if we got Tedesco, Taumalolo, D Fitita, or Haas in out juniors, all once in a generation players by the way, oh wait they are all playing in the same generation huh, then these kids would have gone to pot under our burgeoning super star system?

What a load of you know what.

84 Baby

Referee
And he was offered to us and we said no because he wanted some of his salary up front. The kid was the best in his age group and we stuffed up the once in a generation player on what principle?

Offered to us? The rumour was our own recruitment staff identified him and got him to agree to sign. He wasn’t “offered” to us, our recruitment staff did their job but management balked at his asking price. All Fifita’s improvement does is justify the recruitment team’s judgment and so management may give them more leeway next time. But also refusing to overpay largely non-contributing “once in a generation” youngsters isn’t a bad thing

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Another Steve Sharp special, he was happy to Rort the cap and get the club to pay for him and his mates legal fees but refused to stump up 100k for the best young forward in junior RL. Thank f**k the dopey merkin is gone.