1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Rumours and Stuff

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Gronk, Jun 21, 2016.

1. eels_fan

eels_fan Bench

Maybe we are better at managing the cap than we thought we were?

Eelementary likes this.
  2. Noise

Noise Coach

The original article had an explanation about each player in the top 50 and they did say Penrith are paying almost half of RCG's contract. I don't reckon Lane would be on that much. He signed with us early last year before he hit form with Manly and he was only a journeyman before that. I reckon Nrown would be on 350ish. Why would nuffies like Alvaro, Salmon, Smith and Gennings be on decent coin? They only play first grade every once in a while.

Eelementary and Poupou Escobar like this.
  3. Gazzamatta

Gazzamatta First Grade

Still doesn't add up to me. When did Sivo re sign? $550k? Just dont see it. And I forgot Terepo and Gower. Minimum is at least $100k. Im sure Poo will do the numbers. I need convincing or I won't sleep tonight.

4. eels_fan

eels_fan Bench

Outside of the 10 in the list, I doubt anyone else in our squad is on over $250k with the exception of N Brown and Evans. Who I imagine would be on around $350-400k. Lane probably around that $250k mark.

Noise likes this.
  5. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

This is how these winner-takes-all economies work. The 'average' player ends up on much less than the average salary while the few at the top are on massive salaries. These numbers aren't surprising.

$9.7M for 30 players leaves an average salary of about $320k. The minimum is about a third of that while the highest salary is more than three times the average. You can see how you'd need a lot of players on $100k to $200k to be able to afford just a couple on $800k or more.

If you think a player is shit, chances are he's on roughly minimum salary. Teams can't afford to pay more than that for a bloke who's not expected to be in the 17 every week. Lane and Evans would've been on about that at their former clubs. They would both be on more at Parra but there's no reason it needed to be $400k. On the open market Lane might get that now because he plays 80 minutes nearly every week.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Gazzamatta and Eelementary like this.
  6. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

Alvaro was playing plenty of first grade when he re-signed but forwards get paid for their attacking contribution.

7. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

Lol @ that top 10 list, no wonder the Donkey’s, Saints and Titans are f**ked.

And didn’t Ivan do a number on the Tigers, he didn’t get off the bus he drove it off a cliff. Madge doing a pretty good job of trying salvage the bus.

8. yy_cheng

yy_cheng Coach

So we have a crack at boys to replace Evans? Gc would probably foot some of his salary

9. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

All player contracts are confidential, I would take all that nonsense with a large grain of salt.

10. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...s/news-story/1903f930ec4e7f69a4a3e476be7dc3e3
    Fox has Lane on $440k.

11. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

How did you get this list? I doubt Sivo is on that. I also doubt JFH isn't on atleast 480k

12. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

it was all over News Corp sites yesterday, a desperate attempt for clicks.

hindy111 likes this.
  13. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

TheRam and Gazzamatta like this.
  14. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

Sivo come for Min wage. Yes he played good in his first 15 games when he was upgraded. My guess is about 280-350k. He was still a bit of an unkown when upgraded and even now he isn't worth 550k on the open market is he? . I am also certain Guth wanted 750k and Eels wouldn't budge on 650k.

15. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

Yeah If I had to pick a number, I could bet your left nut on him being re-signed for about $300k.

Gazzamatta likes this.
  16. T.S Quint

T.S Quint Coach

It’s all bullshit!
    Except for the parts that aren’t bullshit...but we will never really know which parts they are.

17. Glenneel

Glenneel Juniors

They offered $800k for Mitchell so doubt it'll be less than that. All they'll do is drop a player on minimum and free up a lazy $500k. Roosters sombrero works better than any club bar Broncos.

18. Glenneel

Glenneel Juniors

The figures for RCG and Blake sound like what they would have been paid at Penrith who are paying part of their freight. My (un)educated guess is that Penrith is paying $250k for RCG and $100k for Blake. Also think $500k for Jennings is too high as he had very poor year and we really didn't want him. Would think $350-400k more likely.

19. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

They’re current year contract values. Menko is in his final year of contract. I reckon the $500k is near abouts but the contract he just signed is probably trending downwards. He may even just switch places somewhat with Mahoney.
    I also think the Sivo figure listed this year is an anomaly based on bonuses and the such from last year so the $550k is our cap hit but he’s probably somewhere around the league average

20. Gazzamatta

Gazzamatta First Grade

I think my calculations were out by 1 million so probably looks about right. Knew I should have slept on it. Sivos wage still surprises me though.