What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

IFR33K

Coach
So O’Neil is leaking to the press?

who cares if our decision making is slow, seems to be working....we haven’t lost anyone and have made some pretty good signings - player managers are just annoyed they can’t take advantage of us any more !! Idiots!!

Maybe we haven’t lost anyone of note, it doesn’t mean we haven’t missed out on anyone of note....

Soto

Bench
Not sure what's wrong with getting Bevan French back to the club and making him work for a spot in the team.
This year we had Field and Salmon as backups in the halves, Field for Fullback and Salmon for centre as well.
What French can provide is coverage at Fullback, halves and Wing. For the right price and the aptitude and attitude he could well force his way into the team. For me he is a better option than Field and Salmon. Now before ppl get tooooo emotional I'm not saying to replace Guth at 1. However if BA sees that as the best balance for the team then so be it.
I'm not the biggest BA fan but he calls the shots. I think he knows he has 1 or 2 more seasons left if he doesn't deliver a premiership.
You can't go 8-10 years without delivering a premiership. Time is ticking. Let's hope tweaks that need to be made will be made.
That is not limited to 2 new assistants, 2 new outside backs, back up hooker, 1 back rower and 1 prop.
Would also like to see BA let fkn rip at a presser if we get dudded like we have a few times this year and recent years.

parra pete

Referee
Danny's Sunday piece

Brad to worse
Parramatta have a growing problem: the division between general manager of football Mark O’Neill and coach Brad Arthur.

In the days since the Eels went out of the finals in straight sets, losing 38-24 in dramatic fashion to Souths last weekend, Arthur has been under real pressure – somewhat unfairly, considering they were a Mitchell Mosespenalty miss and a Damien Cook non-sin binning from potentially playing in a preliminary final this week.

The core of the problem is the division between O’Neill and the coach, but the cracks at the club are threatening to grow. The players and the football department are on one side; O’Neill is on the other, with the support of the club’s executive.

Minor Premiers Penrith Panthers take on the South Sydney Rabbitohs for a place in the grand final against the Melbourne Storm.

No one at the club denies the Arthur-O’Neill rift – just the level of tension between the pair.
O’Neill has been in his role for two years and, in fairness, the Eels have had considerable success in that time. But they now want a premiership and Arthur knows where the drive to change his approach is coming from.

There was a line that got under his skin this week. “The team is not going to improve by doing another three laps of the oval,” an Eels official told me.

It’s pointed criticism, implying that Arthur’s old-school approach won’t deliver the ultimate prize and end the club’s 34-year premiership drought.

The criticism of Arthur came at a sensitive time for the club as it dealt with the stunning positive drugs test for veteran centre Michael Jennings on the morning of last Saturday’s semi-final loss to the Rabbitohs. Jennings denies being a drug cheat and says he will fight to clear hisname.

The Eels think the next stage in their development will come from improving the team in a holistic sense. A major criticism of the Eels has been that they are fragile and get frazzled when the blowtorch is applied.

The club has done plenty of work in the area of mindfulness and mental strength. I had lengthy chats with Ryan Mattersonthis year about the work he did in that area and his approach has been adopted by other players.

Perhaps part of the issue here is that Arthur, while allowing this work to go on, wasn’t driving it. O’Neill is a big believer in courses and development. He is a disciple of a man named Shane McCurry, who has had success with Richmond in the AFL. McCurry is described as a “thought leader” and he clearly wants the Eels to be the Richmond Tigers of the NRL.

While Arthur is criticised for being too old-school and not taking on new ideas, O’Neill and the Eels football department are castigated throughout the NRL for being “too bureaucratic”. Their slow decision making and negotiating frustrates many. Managers say, along with Wests Tigers, they are the most cumbersome club to deal with.

Last year’s negotiations with club captain Clint Gutherson were a case in point. Rightfully, Gutherson felt disrespected and he has proved himself to be their best player. It was not how their leader deserved to be treated and every signing the club makes is like pulling teeth.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mi...world-of-state-of-origin-20201017-p56630.html

Makes sense the divide as I said it to a few on here in private message.
I'm hearing sharpy and fieldsy are on the way out..!
Anyone else herd this

Apparently being replaced with a mate of buckets.
Sth Syd guy Ben Rodgers

You know what the rumour mill is like.
Hard to know what is true and what isn't

Last edited:

Joely01

Bench
Oh ok. Thanks for the tip.

No worries
That’s what happens when you try and compare a young A.Johns who had a heap of quality halves in front of him when he first started playing origin.
To suggesting Gutho (our best player of the year and top 3 fullbacks)
Make way for French, who has very poor defense and proved to us in the past if he doesn’t get what he wants he kicks stones!

Gutho is also still improving and getting better at fullback, I predict he will he even better next year at the back

Joely01

Bench
Not sure what's wrong with getting Bevan French back to the club and making him work for a spot in the team.
This year we had Field and Salmon as backups in the halves, Field for Fullback and Salmon for centre as well.
What French can provide is coverage at Fullback, halves and Wing. For the right price and the aptitude and attitude he could well force his way into the team. For me he is a better option than Field and Salmon. Now before ppl get tooooo emotional I'm not saying to replace Guth at 1. However if BA sees that as the best balance for the team then so be it.
I'm not the biggest BA fan but he calls the shots. I think he knows he has 1 or 2 more seasons left if he doesn't deliver a premiership.
You can't go 8-10 years without delivering a premiership. Time is ticking. Let's hope tweaks that need to be made will be made.
That is not limited to 2 new assistants, 2 new outside backs, back up hooker, 1 back rower and 1 prop.
Would also like to see BA let fkn rip at a presser if we get dudded like we have a few times this year and recent years.

I don’t think getting French back to fight for a position is the issue.
It’s the suggestion from some he walks back in at fullback and we change half our backline up for him.
He simply isn’t that good of a player to change our backline for

Soto

Bench
I don’t think getting French back to fight for a position is the issue.
It’s the suggestion from some he walks back in at fullback and we change half our backline up for him.
He simply isn’t that good of a player to change our backline for
No walk up starts but challenge for a spot.
The fact we have lost gennings, possibly mennings, field, salmon, taka and no-one knows what Sivo's recovery will look like then signing French is a no brainer. Thus far we know Opacic is the only outside back signed.
In saying all that, the fact so many new coaches coming in there will be lots of player movements in the coming weeks and months. We all know when new coaches come in they like to bounce some players who they do not see in their plans..i think there will be some good players looking for a new club soon.
Just hope we replace those who have exited with better quality

Eelementary

Post Whore
No worries
That’s what happens when you try and compare a young A.Johns who had a heap of quality halves in front of him when he first started playing origin.
To suggesting Gutho (our best player of the year and top 3 fullbacks)
Make way for French, who has very poor defense and proved to us in the past if he doesn’t get what he wants he kicks stones!

Gutho is also still improving and getting better at fullback, I predict he will he even better next year at the back

His tackling is perhaps poorer than Gutherson's, but his ability to get to an overlap quickly, and his ability to field low kicks, are better than Gutherson's.

I love Gutherson, and I think he is a great, great fullback - but he has his limitations, and there's no shame in that.

Just like with French - he isn't as physical as Gutherson, and he isn't as strong.

However, he is far quicker, much more agile, and I would confidently say that, in terms of skill, they are pretty even.

Rugby league is a team game, and the coach needs to do what's best for the team.

If he thinks Bevan French sharpens our attack (which, on paper, it should), then, as Jack Gibson said, play your best players, and worry about their jersey numbers later.

As captain of the club, Gutherson will still command big bucks, even if he moves into the halves, or centre.

There's been a lot of negativity regarding a RUMOUR that we are after French - he would be a better fit for us than Addo-Carr, simply because Addo-Carr (being a much better player) would cost too much, and we would probably have to lose a player, or two.

Why don't we all just chill, and see what unfolds?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Makes sense the divide as I said it to a few on here in private message.
I'm hearing sharpy and fieldsy are on the way out..!
Anyone else herd this

Apparently being replaced with a mate of buckets.
Sth Syd guy Ben Rodgers

You know what the rumour mill is like.
Hard to know what is true and what isn't

Losing Fieldsy would be horrible for the club,, I hope it’s not true.

I did hear that buckets wanted to align the club with Hills Bulls as an exclusive feeder club only to be knocked back by the roosters I think? ...

It just so happens buckets brother is the club president at the bulls...

lucablight

First Grade

I did hear that buckets wanted to align the club with Hills Bulls as an exclusive feeder club only to be knocked back by the roosters I think? ...

Hey mate. Just wanted to say it’s good to see you posting again.

Joely01

Bench
His tackling is perhaps poorer than Gutherson's, but his ability to get to an overlap quickly, and his ability to field low kicks, are better than Gutherson's.

I love Gutherson, and I think he is a great, great fullback - but he has his limitations, and there's no shame in that.

Just like with French - he isn't as physical as Gutherson, and he isn't as strong.

However, he is far quicker, much more agile, and I would confidently say that, in terms of skill, they are pretty even.

Rugby league is a team game, and the coach needs to do what's best for the team.

If he thinks Bevan French sharpens our attack (which, on paper, it should), then, as Jack Gibson said, play your best players, and worry about their jersey numbers later.

As captain of the club, Gutherson will still command big bucks, even if he moves into the halves, or centre.

There's been a lot of negativity regarding a RUMOUR that we are after French - he would be a better fit for us than Addo-Carr, simply because Addo-Carr (being a much better player) would cost too much, and we would probably have to lose a player, or two.

Why don't we all just chill, and see what unfolds?

Sorry mate but Gutho has been the key to our attack in terms of setting up and delivering an overlap play.
Don’t forget Gutho also has the best numbers for us in terms of try assists.

the only place French is better then Gutho for mine is speed.

Delboy

First Grade

Think Hills Bulls have aligned themselves with North Sydney , from juniors up.

any Hills Juniors that are on the fringe of Parra reps, will be encouraged to go to North’s I believe.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Think Hills Bulls have aligned themselves with North Sydney , from juniors up.

any Hills Juniors that are on the fringe of Parra reps, will be encouraged to go to North’s I believe.

And bulldogs have aligned themselves with Mounties yeah?

I think it might be time for Parra to smoke the peace pipe with Wenty again...

Eelementary

Post Whore
Sorry mate but Gutho has been the key to our attack in terms of setting up and delivering an overlap play.

I don't see why French can't, at the very least, match Gutherson's contributions in attack; he has just as much skill in terms of kicking, and passing, and his superior speed, and acceleration, make him a more dangerous threat to create holes.

I'm not advocating moving Gutherson from fullback, but I am trying to add balance to the argument that French will add some attacking spark.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Gutherson is our smartest player, which is a fair argument for moving him into the halves.

Joely01

Bench
I don't see why French can't, at the very least, match Gutherson's contributions in attack; he has just as much skill in terms of kicking, and passing, and his superior speed, and acceleration, make him a more dangerous threat to create holes.

I'm not advocating moving Gutherson from fullback, but I am trying to add balance to the argument that French will add some attacking spark.

So why couldn’t he do that 2 years ago when given the chance to?