Rumours and Stuff

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Gronk, Jun 21, 2016.

1. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Quality over quantity. Grant had a good season in a shit team. I’m not saying if Rheed played for Wigers he’d have had an equally good season but the implication that he doesn’t have a running game is wrong, he just doesn’t run every f**ken tackle like Grant does, but also I’m not implying that Wigers finished so low because Grant ran so much, but one played in a team with teammates that finished 3rd and the other did not.

2. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

I’m not here to bash Grant but you also missed:
    Kick metres
    Mahoney - 1276
    Grant - 279

Tackles
    Mahoney - 968 made 40 missed
    Grant - 746 made 45 missed

So does Grant not have a kicking or defensive game?

Eelementary likes this.
  3. Noise

Noise Coach

I thought the discussion was around attack. I don't know much about Grant's kicking game. Maybe he does more short kicks compared to long ones?

4. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Actually it was specifically about Rheed’s running game

5. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

Grant is a better dummy half than Mahoney and a better player even factoring in his defence. But Mahoney is a solid first grader, and will only get better. Obviously so will Grant. He will be the game's best dummy half. The Queensland 9 jersey will be hard to get. Mahoney could be the Jake Friend of his generation. He might even win a couple of grand finals.

Eelementary and Noise like this.
  6. Avenger

Avenger Referee

7. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

Everything that Moses has copped since the Souths game has been more than fair, he’s the halfback and our highest paid player and he didn’t aim up. And when it mattered most he was as far away from the action as possible. You could cop it if he was a great defender but he’s a liability there as well.

I’m calling it, Moses out and Burton in!!!

Someone needs to do a poll........

hindy111 likes this.
  8. IFR33K

IFR33K Coach

Him running would also create more opportunities out wide. Teams know we aren’t a threat from Dummy half, unless gutho goes there.

Eelementary and Noise like this.
  9. Avenger

Avenger Referee

My concern is not his ability, my concern is lack of vision and trying to run a football team that does so without looking like a headless opportunistic chook.

Mentally in the past he has been found wanting and especially when he was no longer the man, under pressure and not wanted and allegedly tanked his best effort. He was younger, less mature but the antecedents existed at the Tigers.

10. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

I am pretty sure all of his assists were from dummy half and most of his personal breaks were too (at the very least they’d be with him around the ruck).
    I would like to see him do it more as well. Not because he doesn’t do it enough/doesn’t have a running game, but because clearly he is quite good at it.
    But then also Gutho is a good dummy half runner too.
    Also Gutho running has the added benefit of Reed being able to be the dummy half off the back of his run.
    I thought from the Warriors game onwards he started to engage the line more which made a huge difference in our ability to make metres.
    I reckon what he actually needs is a quality bench hooker so that he doesn’t have to conserve as much energy by doing things like not running. Or he needs to get fitter

Eelementary and Obscene Assassin like this.
  11. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

The criticism is stupid in the sense that it is being shoehorned into a narrative that just doesn't fit. Moses-goes-missing-in-big-games is the sensationalised melodramatic take, but the fact is our attack (where the spine earn their money) was much improved in the finals. It's true Moses was down on form but it wasn't in the big games, it was all year. Who's to blame for that? Same player, same coach. The only differences we know of are the Covid situation and his calf injury. Plus Andrew Johns' involvement. Any speculation about why Moses was much better last year than this year is just speculation. But saying it was probably the injury doesn't sell papers or make merkins feel better about getting their hopes up.

Eelementary likes this.
  12. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

2020 Moses isn't a poor defender.

Joely01 likes this.
  13. SneakyEel

SneakyEel Juniors

If BA is going to add anyone to our squad, we must get a utility/hooker. I think that most of our problems with our halves will be sorted if this happens. Mahoney never runs from dummy because he's tired from making tackles, therefore not scooting when he could. This leaves our halves flat when receiving the ball with little space making their running games both not as effective. If Mahoney is able to run more this should really open up the game for us and might give both of our halves more time to think and more gaps to run through.

gaffer likes this.
  14. Obscene Assassin

Obscene Assassin First Grade

If Reed had luke brooks and Benji Marshall, Josh Reynolds etc as his halves he'd rhun a lot more. Just like if Grant had halves like Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown he'd pass more

Eelementary likes this.
  15. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

He barely even needs to run, he just needs to get out of the ruck and engage the A defender even for a split second

gaffer likes this.
  16. SneakyEel

SneakyEel Juniors

Yes that's what I mean, he's a bit predictable he passes to either Drown or Moses, he needs to be unpredictable like Grant does which would take Mahoney to the next level.

17. Eelogical

Eelogical Coach

None of them ever do. Even Alan Jones has most likely not spent all of his paycheck from 2010 revving the boys up.

18. I'm a loser baby...

I'm a loser baby... Immortal

So we're all in favour of re-signing Smith and making him the 14? Who'd have thought you could suggest that and still show your face around here again?

Eelementary and SneakyEel like this.
  19. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Get the f**k out of here!

And into my car

I'm a loser baby... likes this.
  20. Joely01

Joely01 Bench

Gotta give Moses credit in this department, he has improved significantly in this area!