What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Angry_eel

First Grade
I don't see Rugby League dying or any other sport dying. Any contact sport played at an elite level causes damage to the player. Humans are meant to be fit and strong but not do this for 40 weeks in a year.

As an example, Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and Soccer has had players collapse and die on the field.

T-Boon

Coach
Please. I have listed 2 Clive Churchill medallists, 2 of the best young hookers and the Tigers no 1 fullback.
Keary is probably going to have to retire in the next year if he wants to have a future. Maybe he is an exhibit for the prosecution and the defense.
Anyway I am not arguing that there is zero role for small men just a diminishing role and more to they are going to need to be okay with getting knocked out and injured a lot by big men whom our code really loves.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Keary is probably going to have to retire in the next year if he wants to have a future. Maybe he is an exhibit for the prosecution and the defense.
Anyway I am not arguing that there is zero role for small men just a diminishing role and more to they are going to need to be okay with getting knocked out and injured a lot by big men whom our code really loves.
Yeah but getting knocked out is not the exclusive domain of smaller guys. Welch, Cordner, Matterson, Kaufusi etc etc

Avenger

Immortal
Being small is only part of the problem. Bad technique is the biggest cause. The recently retired Roosters captain a prime example. Matterson and Wade Graham being other examples.

T-Boon

Coach
Yeah but getting knocked out is not the exclusive domain of smaller guys. Welch, Cordner, Matterson, Kaufusi etc etc
True.
However, if you looked at it as a per "involvement" percentage the likelihood of a small player getting injured/brained is a lot higher than a big guy (involvement = being tackled or making a tackle).

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
True.
However, if you looked at it as a per "involvement" percentage the likelihood of a small player getting injured/brained is a lot higher than a big guy (involvement = being tackled or making a tackle).
Have you looked at it? Where's your stats?

TheRam

Coach
once again, where are you getting this from ?

Here you go. Here is just a couple of articles of the work that is going on. Compare it to what the NRL and Storm are doing in Victoria. Or more precisely not doing.

Avenger

Immortal
As I stated at least 6 months ago before the media revealed it the Čotrić rumour still has legs. The stumbling block was always the amount that the Dogs will chip in. They know they paid too much. He will be our only big name signing if we pull it off.

Marata is as good as gone and the Warriors may even ask for him next year. Their offer we cannot compete with.

Everyone else is expected to re-sign including Mahoney.

TheRam

Coach
I don't mind that. If the town wants to be referred to on the jersey let the council pay for it.
I would love us to drop the Parramatta from the badge and instead have it in big print where the main sponsors name is and collect a mill plus have a cleanish jersey.

If our club could do that and get a $1m from the council they would be geniuses.

Pigs can fly too.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
As I stated at least 6 months ago before the media revealed it the Čotrić rumour still has legs. The stumbling block was always the amount that the Dogs will chip in. They know they paid too much. He will be our only big name signing if we pull it off.

Marata is as good as gone and the Warriors may even ask for him next year. Their offer we cannot compete with.

Surely we should be telling them where to go.

Gronk

Staff member

I can't blame Marata if he wants to go home to NZ. Born in Auckland etc.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
A good example is Reed Mahoney. It is a horrid ad for the game into the future that he makes 60 tackles a game. I know us meat heads get stiffies about that but the mums AND DADS are like "no thanks". And then he gets injured every second game and us meat heads are like "no fair!".
You really think the little kid playing hooker in division 2 under 13’s comp is making 60 tackles a game. And then his parents see Mahoney playing and go son, you aren’t playing next year…….

The Eel

Juniors
Good to see the NRL has failed miserably once again to protect and strengthen the game.

Add a franchise to the north of Brisbane, while the AFL setup camp and dine out on the number one junior area of the State in the south western corridor of QLD. The AFL's new football development and $100m spend by them is going to be money well spent. The Brisbane Lions are now the number one team in Brisbane with 40K members, more then the Broncos.

It won't be long now before the AFL will add a second Brisbane team to their comp and no prizes where that is going to be based.

AFL, the kings of Brisbane. You keep beating your chest ARLC. You're simply the best.

Oh but the Dolphins gave a guarantee and commitment to spending $1m on grass roots for boys juniors and $1m for girls too. Yeah!
Personally I think there are going to be too many teams in Qld. I would have preferred a Perth team or the Central Coast bears or something.