What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lingard

Coach
You really think the little kid playing hooker in division 2 under 13’s comp is making 60 tackles a game. And then his parents see Mahoney playing and go son, you aren’t playing next year…….
Yep, I know a lot of parents who don't want their kids to play league precisely for that reason. Rightly or wrongly, they look at the NRL as the measuring stick for all things: injuries, off-field behaviour, the whole thing. The NRL is the face of league, like it or not. I played league as a kid and learnt so much self-confidence, team work, courage, etc, etc. I quit when I left high school. Never reached any heights at all; but I sure am glad I played. Even nearly fifty years later, I can still remember scoring a try at Richie Benaud Oval, and burying my opposite number at Meadowbank on a cold,wet, Wednesday afternoon. I was a skinny kid with little confidence, but the game really helped me. I'm so glad I played rugby league. And nobody got badly hurt. But unfortunately a lot of parents don't see it that way. They look at the NRL and think, No Way!

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree.
However as I understand it 50 years ago (maybe more like 80 year ago) the heavyweight champion of the world was a household name as were probably several of the other champs. Like Messi or Usain Bolt equivalents. I would bet most sports fans don't know which one is Fury and which one is Wilder. Kids at school would never have heard of them
It is still the case that some percentage of the population are huge boxing fans but it is a smaller percentage than it use to be (but that would still amount to many millions which explains PPV doing well).
I doubt MMA would have been able to take off the way it has back in the days that boxing was at its strongest.

But does that show that boxing has lost its way, or that there are simply too many boxing organisations, and too many belts?

And I reckon MMA was always going to do well - those guys are freakish athletes.

lingard

Coach
Then they have no real intention of letting their kids play league…….

why wouId one be concerned of their kid because Mahoney makes 60 tackles ……..

maybe I might ask my sons coach to put him in backs, as Burgess broken his cheek broken playing in the forwards once, or Fenson broke his leg, or matterson was knocked out by an elbow……..etc etc etc
I don't think you get it.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't think you get it.

Yep, I know a lot of parents who don't want their kids to play league precisely for that reason. Rightly or wrongly, they look at the NRL as the measuring stick for all things: injuries, off-field behaviour, the whole thing. The NRL is the face of league, like it or not. I played league as a kid and learnt so much self-confidence, team work, courage, etc, etc. I quit when I left high school. Never reached any heights at all; but I sure am glad I played. Even nearly fifty years later, I can still remember scoring a try at Richie Benaud Oval, and burying my opposite number at Meadowbank on a cold,wet, Wednesday afternoon. I was a skinny kid with little confidence, but the game really helped me. I'm so glad I played rugby league. And nobody got badly hurt. But unfortunately a lot of parents don't see it that way. They look at the NRL and think, No Way!

I do get it !! And as I said those parents were never going to let their kids player, they are just looking for excuses……..

Wonder if they let their kids go onto social media ….bet they do and have no issues …….nothing bad happens there does it…

anyhow tell those parents to let their kids play cricket, afl, soccer, union, their players are saints..…and don’t get injured…..

BTW - very few kids get hurt today just like when you played in the 70’s….

lingard

Coach
I do get it !! And as I said those parents were never going to let their kids player, they are just looking for excuses……..

Wonder if they let their kids go onto social media ….bet they do and have no issues …….nothing bad happens there does it…

anyhow tell those parents to let their kids play cricket, afl, soccer, union, their players are saints..…and don’t get injured…..

BTW - very few kids get hurt today just like when you played in the 70’s….
60's.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
A couple of guys have ended up in my cancelled list today.
Just FYI if you are going to be rude you better at least be interesting.
irony GIF

eels_fan

First Grade
Well at least RCG won’t be able to ask for an early release…

He’s already in great coin so I don’t see us upping our offer to try and keep him.

With knowing he is out, I’d be more resolute in holding onto Niukore.