What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

T-Boon

Coach
I don't hate Mahoney. Our management had to wrap guys up earlier in the year if they where worried. I sense they just where not worried as much as fan think and had plans
I bet they have also looked at the probabilities as far as Mahoney and injuries go over the next 2 or 3 years. There is a very good chance he gets a lot of injuries. He makes 60 tackles a game and weight too few kgs.

hindy111

Post Whore
Bottom line is, if he stayed we'd all, or most of us, be saying we are so lucky to have an "origin level" hooker commit to the blue and gold long term.... But he leaves and were saying he's an injury prone Merkin and we want nothing to do with him.... As usual, reality will be somewhere in the middle..mm

We had great value out of him. After this season 4yrs in the NRL. And most likely the MAX he cost was 250-300k.

At 650k the Dogs get a good player. A very good player if his form is like 2021 then they paid only slightly overs at worse. If he improves just a little they they paid what he is worth.High chance this happens. If he stagnates he is on slight over but if he goes backwards then they got analed.

His 2020 form showed a crisp passer with zero run game and a small body in defense.
His 2021 showed a guy who was cutting defenses open with smart passes along with a clever kicking game.
Reality is he has had one great season. Based on age you expect that he will build on that but don't be blind. Look at Ash Taylor for example. Or Segyaroo. Both those guys had far more talent then Mahoney. How has it turned out?
Nothing is certain with a small sample size.

King-Gutho94

Coach
That 2004 team was aids and on decline though. I dont think we would have won the comp.

Though losing Lyon basically killed off the season. I think it turned us from a borderline finals side to bottom 5 team.

But i don't think we would have won the comp with the likes of Lee Hopkins, Craig Stapleton, Corey Pearson, Shane Muspratt, Chris Mucket, Junior Langi.

I reckon the greatest loss was willie tonga leaving the off-season before Lyon walked out. He was playing origin and test football within 12 months of leaving.

hindy111

Post Whore
That 2004 team was aids and on decline though. I dont think we would have won the comp.

Though losing Lyon basically killed off the season. I think it turned us from a borderline finals side to bottom 5 team.

But i don't think we would have won the comp with the likes of Lee Hopkins, Craig Stapleton, Corey Pearson, Shane Muspratt, Chris Mucket, Junior Langi.

I reckon the greatest loss was willie tonga leaving the off-season before Lyon walked out. He was playing origin and test football within 12 months of leaving.

I meant in course of his career. 2005 perhaps

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We had great value out of him. After this season 4yrs in the NRL. And most likely the MAX he cost was 250-300k.

At 650k the Dogs get a good player. A very good player if his form is like 2021 then they paid only slightly overs at worse. If he improves just a little they they paid what he is worth.High chance this happens. If he stagnates he is on slight over but if he goes backwards then they got analed.

His 2020 form showed a crisp passer with zero run game and a small body in defense.
His 2021 showed a guy who was cutting defenses open with smart passes along with a clever kicking game.
Reality is he has had one great season. Based on age you expect that he will build on that but don't be blind. Look at Ash Taylor for example. Or Segyaroo. Both those guys had far more talent then Mahoney. How has it turned out?
Nothing is certain with a small sample size.
Most dummy halves would look good playing behind Junior Paulo.

Gronk

Staff member
This is the kid we picked up from Penrith. He had injuries last season otherwise may of debut. Looks to have a cheekie run game

Well last time I looked, we have 28 players in the top 30 plus Ogden's manager went on Instagram claiming that he will be with the eels in 2022.

Do teams have 3 hookers in their top 30 ? Is it likely that Hands will be given the last spot ? We have 3 players on development contracts. Maybe he'll be our 4th as I note that other teams have 4.