What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Noise

Coach
It does look greedy but having read a bit of the statement from the rlpa it also looks a bit shady on the NRL's part. I get the emotional pull of the argument that they're very well paid compared to most so they should just stfu and get on with it but everyone deserves fair negotiations and pay relative to worth and I'm not sure the players are getting that. Talk of strikes seems over the top though.
It's 100% about pay. Though these f**kers will never full on strike. The season will start as scheduled.

Eelogical

Referee
Dragons and Sharks seem to be the primary agitators. It makes sense....Dragons have the bye in round 1 then play the Titans in round 2. Sharks play the Bunnies in round 1 then the Eels in round 2. I'd go on strike, too.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Dragons and Sharks seem to be the primary agitators. It makes sense....Dragons have the bye in round 1 then play the Titans in round 2. Sharks play the Bunnies in round 1 then the Eels in round 2. I'd go on strike, too.

Matto agrees with this, he has plenty of spare time to strike

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
How long do these past players want to be paid for ?

A lot of our juniors are put through private education when we drag them from the bush (or NZ in the case of Dylbro)to live at our complex, not sure of the numbers and it's not the NRL, it's Parramatta Eels that are paying for all this. I remember the year after Burty retired he was employed by the club purely to guide these kids and look after them when they weren't training or playing.

These kids are not employed by the NRL as I understand it.

Also do you know what the min wage is ?

I've no idea. I think it's to do with players that are forced to retire young i.e Jharal Yow Yeh rather than players that've had a full career. But that's just me guessing rather than knowing the details.

I think under the old CBA it was approx 80k but under the proposed salary cap the NRL put out in December it was approx 120k, less for development players.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think under the old CBA it was approx 80k but under the proposed salary cap the NRL put out in December it was approx 120k, less for development players.

$120K is not bad for a 20 hour week considering what most of us get paid assuming we have a 9 till 5 job. The average Aussie wage is about $92K but I don't know anyone who gets paid that on a wage.

$120K is not bad for a 20 hour week considering what most of us get paid assuming we have a 9 till 5 job. The average Aussie wage is about $92K but I don't know anyone who gets paid that on a wage.
It's a bit more than a 20 hour week when you consider all the things they have to do when not actively working in order to be able to perform. And the risk of injury is far greater than almost any other job paying similarly. I wouldn't be saying those on minimum wage are getting a great deal.

84 Baby

Referee
It's 100% about pay. Though these f**kers will never full on strike. The season will start as scheduled.
I’d say it’s 50% about pay and the other half is battling Vlandy’s totalitarianism (that players dislike of stems mostly from pay)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The world has just gone through a pandemic, i think the players are doing ok just quietly. I know people who have lost everything thanks to the pandemic or the floods so the players threatening to not start the season with the cap going up 2 million just look greedy.
The merkins don’t like the new $12M salary cap? I reckon they’re just filthy the NRL raised the minimum salary by so much. More pie for the merkins at the bottom comes from elsewhere in the cap.

Latest posts