What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
All good, mate.

I can't help but be impressed by how well-run Penrith are as a club - it's pretty damn impressive.
Not looking that well run atm losing all their talent. There is an article that Crichton was not wanted by them. Wtf? Why develop a player to basically ignore them so they consider they are unwanted? Strange culture if true.

hindy111

Post Whore
Gus and Ciraldo played a huge part in what the panthers have become.

I met someone on Penrith board. I knew from school. He was pissed as a fart and spilled his beans. He didn't have anything good to say about Phil. Mostly how much they where paying out with the 5yr contracts he handed out and players moved on.
I found it interesting as Phil was still at the club at the time.

Gronk

Staff member
Blake has still been a dud buy, the sooner this walking brain fart is off our books the better. I also notice he’s off contract and nothing has been mentioned about him being chased by anyone not even the Desperado Dolphins.
Someone should average what we have paid for Waqa over the years, considering that the Pennys paid a significant chunk. Dud buy ? I still think merkins are bitter because of the late season dropsies in 2022. I reckon he's a a buy that we had to have. At the time we could not attract even a half decent player to tbe club. When we signed Reg and Waqa it opened the door to other players to look at the Eels as a genuine destination, rather than the shit teams.

hindy111

Post Whore
Someone should average what we have paid for Waqa over the years, considering that the Pennys paid a significant chunk. Dud buy ? I still think merkins are bitter because of the late season dropsies in 2022. I reckon he's a a buy that we had to have. At the time we could not attract even a half decent player to tbe club. When we signed Reg and Waqa it opened the door to other players to look at the Eels as a genuine destination, rather than the shit teams.

They didn't chip in as much as people think. Waqa was wanted by a few clubs. He was purchased with loads of potential. He didn't improve at all.
Still a solid player and best suited to centre. Happy to re sign him for around 300k range. Id say we paid just a bit over that while Penrith dimed in. But since then about 500-550k for last year and this.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I thought we were playing footy where you want the higher number? This ain't disc golf

Correct - but this is about playmaking.
The equation is the total playmaking number multiplied by the playmaking coefficient. This is how many points you effectively deduct from actual points scored. So by that proven formula, it stands the lower playmaking total is better.

lingard

Coach
He started at fullback for us in that game against Penrith late in 2021 when we rested every merkin. At the Warriors six of his seven NRL starts were at centre, but they did have RTS at fullback. In one game RTS was out, Perham played centre with Hiku at fullback.
Thanks for that. I didn't realise he played centre at the Warriors.

hindy111

Post Whore
Zzzzz as if we (you) know the contract details.

No but I understand supply and demand and business.
Let's say Waqa was signed for 550k which is plausible. Along with DWZ they are seen as two of the hot young talents in game. Waqa was seen as potential origin player of future. He was very young still.
That hope maybe slightly drifted but plenty would of thought if can fix a few things in his game he could get there and be worth 550k+
But at what risk? If he plateus he is still a solid NRL player. At 400k he was well worth the risk.
And a few clubs would of been keen especially the weak and desperate ones.Penrith best interest was to recoup as much as could.

At 300k I dare say atleast 5 or 6 clubs would of been wanting to get him.
Unlike N.Brown who is wanting to be moved on Waqa was young. Browns reported 550-600k is an issue based on age and form. Max someone's paying is 250k for him. Best you could hope for is he takes a 50k cut to sign a longer deal elsewhere. That may give you 300k to spend. Question is will you get anyone better for that?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You can say he’s been a dud buy, it’s ok you are allowed to say once in a while the club got it wrong. But the last 5 years they have got quite a lot right. Keeping Moses and punting Norman, bringing back Junior, RCG cheap buys like Marata and Ice. Getting value out of guys like Oppa and Stone. All that said it doesn’t make Blake an any better buy and he’s on full freight this season it might have been the difference of keeping an Ice.

Gronk

Staff member
You can say he’s been a dud buy, it’s ok you are allowed to say once in a while the club got it wrong.
Well I kind of did, however to rest on the decision of if he was a dud or not, you need to know what we paid for him averaged over 2019, 20, 21, 22 and 23. If, on average, we paid $500k, then maybe yes. If, on average, we paid him $375k then maybe not.

Black Panther

Juniors
Not looking that well run atm losing all their talent. There is an article that Crichton was not wanted by them. Wtf? Why develop a player to basically ignore them so they consider they are unwanted? Strange culture if true.
He was wanted at Penrith, but his Manager played a game that Penrith didn’t. They clearly don’t pay overs anymore.

hindy111

Post Whore
NSW Origin great Brad Fittler has hailed Waqa Blake a future Blue, saying: “There are big expectations on him ... he’s a real talent”.

Despite making his NRL debut only three weeks ago, the 20-year-old Fijian has been named in the City centres alongside Rabbitohs star Dylan Walker.

The Penrith Panthers young gun is undoubtedly the biggest surprise selection for the annual Origin trial, along with team-mate Reagan Campbell-Gillard, who has been named on the bench.