What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lingard

Coach
If your employer has it written into your contract (which you signed) and then enforces drug testing then yes they can

But that's what I mean; is it right that the NRL can demand total abstinence from recreational drugs in the off-season? It's a bit unfair, I reckon. And I wonder how the players' association feels about it? (We wouldn't know because they hardly ever say anything about anything.) Yes, we can all take the moral high ground and say that nobody should be snorting coke. But how many of us would still be employed if we worked under the same Stalinist conditions that NRL players do?

strider

Post Whore
But that's what I mean; is it right that the NRL can demand total abstinence from recreational drugs in the off-season? It's a bit unfair, I reckon. And I wonder how the players' association feels about it? (We wouldn't know because they hardly ever say anything about anything.) Yes, we can all take the moral high ground and say that nobody should be snorting coke. But how many of us would still be employed if we worked under the same Stalinist conditions that NRL players do?
surely no "assoiciation" can make claims for allowance of something that is actually illegal

lingard

Coach
They tried to get rid of him based on his salary. They tried to force him out by selecting him in on the bench and then playing him in NSW Cup. He was prepared to stay and play NSW Cup and get paid his entire salary. Any deal they tried to get to move him on they couldn't agree on who would pick up the majority of the deal. In the end Souths were prepared to take him but they got the considerably better end of the deal. In the end Farah called their bluff.

I seriously doubt they tried to get rid of Farrah purely because of his salary. History of sabotaging coaches; sabotaging game-plans. His salary certainly would have come into the equation, but it wasn't the only reason. Not by a long shot.

Gronk

Staff member
The NRL are forced to take this stance simply because their sponsors demand to be associated with a game without controversy and certainly not tainted by players taking illegal drugs.

Forty20

First Grade
Fullback or standoff (5/8th), probably too short for fullback though.

I really think the accepted nomenclature for five-eighth and inside centre should be First Five-Eighth and Second Five-Eighth in order to appease our Kiwi overlords. Maybe we can change fullback to be Third Five-Eighth? That might be enough to bribe our way to a Bledisloe Cup if the All-Blacks are feeling particularly charitable.

Barba's best position is probably Third Five-Eighth.

hindy111

Post Whore
I agree with Boyd, Hayne, Tedesco, Wighton and Munster (in the storm system). Dugan is erratic and injury-prone; Inglis is way over-rated at this stage of his career; Slater isn't even playing yet; Turbo Tom is relatively unproven, and we all know Moylan is useless. So I put Barba in the top ten easily.

Dugans been relatively injury free the last 2 yrs.Along with Moylan played for Aus and nsw.Barba defense superior to Matts i agree.
Inglis is twice the player of barba and Turbo tom is the most talented young player in game. You didnt mention RTS but also far superior.

There is just a lot of good fullbacks.We start the year with Bevan who would be ranked very close to last. Due to size i doubt Bevan can get into top 5 but could make top 10 at some point. And unlike hookers the top 10 are all great options.

forward pass

Coach
Wow. That is a massive signing. Will be a good replacement for Hoffman.

Looks like the salary cap is finally starting to bite at Melbourne, and with Bellamy's impending retirement he doesn't give a f**k.

Yes - but clearly not an issue with the Warriors. Is there cap double ours?

Johnson
Foran
Isaac Luke
Matalino
Tuivasa-Sheck
Harris

..all on big $$$

hindy111

Post Whore
Yes - but clearly not an issue with the Warriors. Is there cap double ours?

Johnson
Foran
Isaac Luke
Matalino
Tuivasa-Sheck
Harris

..all on big $$$

Foran may nit be there next season-Same goes for Big Ben-Hoffman-Manu vatuvai.

But Mannering would be on a big deal one would imagine

Bazal

Post Whore
Now I don't know much about rugby (except that I don't like it much), so can anyone tell me what position Barba is most suited to? He just doesn't strike me as a rugby player.

He'll play fullback, inside centre, flyhalf or some combination of all three off the bench.

Pat Lambie is a very similar height and weight and he's a Springboks international fullback or half. I'd assume Barba will play a similar role.

Gronk

Staff member
He'll play fullback, inside centre, flyhalf or some combination of all three off the bench.

Pat Lambie is a very similar height and weight and he's a Springboks international fullback or half. I'd assume Barba will play a similar role.

Yeah but Lambie can kick.

lingard

Coach

Barba is a similar style of player to (Jason?) Robinson, the English Rugby Union fullback who started life as an English rugby league winger/fullback. He went very well in the Pom's union side at fullback.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah but Lambie can kick.

Barba can kick. Not at Lambie levels, but who can kick like a Jaarpie anyway? He'll be fine for French Top 14 level rugby. I'd say he'll start coming off the bench at inside centre as a running player, or fullback.

Bazal

Post Whore
Barba is a similar style of player to (Jason?) Robinson, the English Rugby Union fullback who started life as an English rugby league winger/fullback. He went very well in the Pom's union side at fullback.

Yep. Robinson was even smaller IIRC, but a very good player nonetheless