What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
Probably not directing all my responses to your quote.

I don't think Cleary can take all the accolades in building up the club.
He would and should of had a say in how the club develops players though any smart head coach would want to know how his production line is...

Take a look at the side that he took the the preliminary final in 2014 I can probably count 2-3 juniors..

Fast forward to 2020 there is 11-12 juniors..That's how you win and sustain being a top side

Now take a look our last game 6 juniors ..

Gee i clicked on the 2014 prelim final game.

FMD i didnt realise & forgot what a soft comp it was in 2014.

What about the 2 sides Penrith & Canterbury tossed out. Plod central.

In saying that Canterbury only made the finals that year because of the 40/20 Ball-boy saga when they beat us with 5 rounds to go which was the difference between us making the finals and them missing it.

Fancy having 2 teams in a prelim with halves of Will Smith/Jamie Soward for Penrith & Josh Reynolds/Trent Hodkinson in the other.

Sam Perrett at FB, Mitch Brown & Tim Lafai on the edge no wonder Souths ended up thrashing them in the GF.

Des got a shithouse side with SFA in the backs outside Josh Morris into a GF.

King-Gutho94

Coach
After 11 years he shouldnt still be dining on that meal Gronky. Whos to say Jason Taylor might not have done an even better job? We can only look at the here and now and it appears, as a club, we are going backwards at a rate of knots.
BA was the right choice at the time. He is not the right choice now.

Taylor would up sent us further down the toilet after Ricky.

The last person we needed to come in after Ricky was another piss-poor man manager in JT after Ricky bashed the confidence out of everyone.

JokerEel

Coach
Penrith made the finals once in three years in Cleary’s first stint. He didn’t rebuild the club, Gould did through the funding he arranged. Cleary was a BA-level failure at three clubs before he was brought back to Penrith to help them keep his son at the club.

This is basically the most correct post you have ever made .

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
After 11 years he shouldnt still be dining on that meal Gronky. Whos to say Jason Taylor might not have done an even better job? We can only look at the here and now and it appears, as a club, we are going backwards at a rate of knots.
A month is a long time in footy. A month ago Moses led us to a great comeback win over Manly. Who knows how things will be in another month.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Penrith made the finals once in three years in Cleary’s first stint. He didn’t rebuild the club, Gould did through the funding he arranged. Cleary was a BA-level failure at three clubs before he was brought back to Penrith to help them keep his son at the club.
How was Cleary a BA-level failure at the warriors.

Pull out 3-4 year W/L metric you like to use to suit your argument and use it with Cleary's time at the warriors and compare him to BA and explain how that is a failure.

Cleary made the finals in 2007, 2008, 2010 & 2011 and would have made it in 2006 if not stripped of 4 pts for salary cap breaches before his time.

Made Prelims in 2008 & 2011 and a GF in 2011.

Beat Melbourne in Melbourne twice in the finals including once they over the cap and had Cam Smith playing unlike the gift Manly got on GF day.

2009 they lost Sonny Fai in the off-season which took the club 12 months to recover from. Hence the piss-poor season that year was the only year the Warriors were poor during his tenure.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Pull out 3-4 year W/L metric you like to use to suit your argument and use it with Cleary's time at the warriors and compare him to BA and explain how that is a failure.

Cleary made the finals in 2007, 2008, 2010 & 2011 and would have made it in 2006 if not stripped of 4 pts for salary cap breaches before his time.

Beat Melbourne in Melbourne twice in the finals including once they over the cap and had Cam Smith playing unlike the gift Manly got on GF day.

2009 they lost Sonny Fai in the off-season which took the club 12 months to recover from. Hence the piss-poor season that year was the only year the Warriors were poor during his tenure.
You’re making a lot of excuses for him. The fact is his career win rate was less than 50% before coming back to Penrith.

JokerEel

Coach
Btw it is correct you can't be up every weekend or every game.

Look at the good sides they still lose a few games a year ..

Though using that excuse when you are thumped by 30/40 doesn't work..

Panthers when they lose or not up ho down by less than 10.. Good sides compete when they are not up that week.

Wally21

Bench

Mate, don’t let the truth get in the way of Pou’s SHIT story

84 Baby

Referee
Btw it is correct you can't be up every weekend or every game.

Look at the good sides they still lose a few games a year ..

Though using that excuse when you are thumped by 30/40 doesn't work..

Panthers when they lose or not up ho down by less than 10.. Good sides compete when they are not up that week.
Yep this. It’s a true measure of the club when things are going poorly in a game. Do you aim up but struggle to break the opposition or do you lie down and concede 40 points in a half? It’s indicates attitude, coaching, basic team strategy, fitness, so many things which we’ve somehow lost, not recognised or never had

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sounds like someone else and making excuses for a coach...

Whomever could they be...
Arthur has won more than he’s lost. He doesn’t need excuses made for him. Even since the grand final his win rate is 15 from 31. Hardly disastrous. We are having a bad month, but shit happens.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep this. It’s a true measure of the club when things are going poorly in a game. Do you aim up but struggle to break the opposition or do you lie down and concede 40 points in a half? It’s indicates attitude, coaching, basic team strategy, fitness, so many things which we’ve somehow lost, not recognised or never had
We’ve lost plenty of close ones. Other coaches have all been flogged as well. Maybe not Bellamy, but everyone else has.

84 Baby

Referee
Gee i clicked on the 2014 prelim final game.

FMD i didnt realise & forgot what a soft comp it was in 2014.

What about the 2 sides Penrith & Canterbury tossed out. Plod central.

In saying that Canterbury only made the finals that year because of the 40/20 Ball-boy saga when they beat us with 5 rounds to go which was the difference between us making the finals and them missing it.

Fancy having 2 teams in a prelim with halves of Will Smith/Jamie Soward for Penrith & Josh Reynolds/Trent Hodkinson in the other.

Sam Perrett at FB, Mitch Brown & Tim Lafai on the edge no wonder Souths ended up thrashing them in the GF.

Des got a shithouse side with SFA in the backs outside Josh Morris into a GF.
I find it frustrating that our current squad is setup to win that 2014 comp. 10 years too late

emjaycee

Coach

To be honest KG, I don't understand your argument and defence of Cleary... I mean really, who cares.
But if you want to compare Cleary's five years (2007-2011) at the Warriors with BA's five years (2017-2021) at the Eels, and there isn't that much between them.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Now I'm not saying that BA's time isn't up, but some of you on here (and I'm also talking to you Brent Read and Phil Rothfield as well) who are throwing hand grenades with "11 years" painted on them are very conveniently forgetting the shit show that he had to endure of Fat Tony, Ned Flanders, the salary sap dramas, the club going into administration, Max Donnelly crafting constitutional protections etc. Building the team back to a respectable competitor and making the GF 18 months ago.

I know that the smart arse retort will be "LOL he's been here 11 years of the 38 year drought." Facts are facts, that's true, but there is way more to the story and this journey.

I know I just asked to be nuked by sarcasm @hineyrulz, so hit me with it. I'm ready.
Yawn. 🥱

Why are we bringing up Cleary at all?? It’s pure deflection. I don’t care about Cleary he doesn’t coach here. I care about our 11 season coach who couldn’t even get thr bench right for our 11th game in Darwin.