What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But then also by having so many options out there, if that is the tactic, we’re greater exposed to having deal out revised contracts then what was banked on.
I don’t think they ever bank on players taking up their options. If they do it is likely the worst case scenario because it means the player wasn’t worth any more than that. The PO is insurance for the player, and the expectation should be that the player still negotiates his next contract prior to the option due date, for a higher amount than the option.

An example of a player taking up his option would be Simonsson right now. His 2025 negotiations are torpedoed by the ACL injury and a PO (if he had one) would allow him an extra year to rehabilitate and restart negotiations for 2026. The PO is a break glass kind of situation.

I’m aware you know all this. I’m just clarifying for the benefit of others. Or their detriment.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You know the likelihood that’ll be essentially dead cap space though. It’s great to have cap space to sign someone, but that doesn’t mean you have the space to sign anyone. If Moses decides to forgo his option, the likelihood of a like for like replacement is almost 0 in my opinion. Which will mean given his cap impact, a full revamp of where cap is spent. That’s contingency - knowing if player X leaves, what options do we have in changing the whole formula. That also requires or at least benefits for aligning other contracts for players/positions that are potentially affected by one players decision to leave
Yeah of course. But what’s the likelihood that Moses (or any high priced player) will still be unsigned by June? He would most likely have it sorted before the preseason ends. Every club wants their most expensive players sorted sooner rather than later, so they know how much they have left to spend. Lomax was sorted by mid-April for example, and that required the Dragons to agree to a release; he wasn’t a free agent until much later than November 2023.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
hey have you guys locked up Blaize yet? Asking for a friend...
You can't have him, you dirty Dragons.

84 Baby

Referee
I don’t think they ever bank on players taking up their options. If they do it is likely the worst case scenario because it means the player wasn’t worth any more than that. The PO is insurance for the player, and the expectation should be that the player still negotiates his next contract prior to the option due date, for a higher amount than the option.

An example of a player taking up his option would be Simonsson right now. His 2025 negotiations are torpedoed by the ACL injury and a PO (if he had one) would allow him an extra year to rehabilitate and restart negotiations for 2026. The PO is a break glass kind of situation.

I’m aware you know all this. I’m just clarifying for the benefit of others. Or their detriment.
And maybe that is the club’s view. If it is, I reckon going full balls to wall on options is probably worth it. But if it is their view, we should expect player negotiations to be occurring earlier more frequently than they are.

84 Baby

Referee
Yeah of course. But what’s the likelihood that Moses (or any high priced player) will still be unsigned by June? He would most likely have it sorted before the preseason ends. Every club wants their most expensive players sorted sooner rather than later, so they know how much they have left to spend. Lomax was sorted by mid-April for example, and that required the Dragons to agree to a release; he wasn’t a free agent until much later than November 2023.
The problem is they aren’t unsigned in June. Maybe we planned it well with Lomax, or maybe we got lucky, but in any other year where you’ve got theoretical cap tied up by a high priced player like Moses or Brown, you still need to respect the fact that they could indeed just take the option. And if they are making their decisions after all the other big cards have signed then there’s not much you can do.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think their results with Moses are reasonable, but horrifying without him.

I would not object if Moses went elsewhere, tbh.

He's not worth what he's getting paid, just simply because "there's nobody better available".

I think he's super talented, but his record in winning tight games is questionable.

84 Baby

Referee

He's not worth what he's getting paid, just simply because "there's nobody better available".

I think he's super talented, but his record in winning tight games is questionable.
Taking into account pay packet, output and any other factor I can think of, the only players I have ahead of Moses are Cartwright and Hopgood. So there are 20 odd other players I’d let go before Moses.
He’s nowhere near our biggest problem

Chipmunk

Coach

How much would we end up paying someone to replace him who would likely be inferior though? I suspect something similar.

Happy MEel

First Grade

Sorry mate, can’t agree with this. Who are you replacing him with and what savings do you think we’ll get. Drown would be the half to let go if we want to spend elsewhere in the cap.

Happy MEel

First Grade

How much less do you think Drown is on? How did we go with him running the show. I don’t understand why he doesn’t get the same scrutiny as Moses. Drown is also a bit of a goose, whereas Moses is a clean skin, a goal kicker and is in the leadership group.

JokerEel

Coach
We are talking about 2016 though. Or are you saying results over two or three years is more relevant than single year results? I would agree.

Melbourne have no juniors either. It’s a non-factor, since clubs can buy all the juniors they can afford.

Yep like 2023 2024 for us we have been crap

Good clubs don't stay out of the 8 very long.

84 Baby

Referee
I rate DCE, Cleary above Moses.
I'd probably also pick Hughes over him. Is anyone else superior? I don't think so.
DCE is almost 90 so in terms of where’d they’d sit in expendability, he’s below Moses IMO (you’ll get 6 more seasons out of Moses before he hits DCEs current age).
Hughes depending on pay packet. He’s got the experience but he’s also had Cunster.
I’d say Cunster obviously, but he also comes with a heck a lot of baggage.
Hunt’s pay packet is too high.
Luai is at moment but he’s a f**kwit.
Sam Walker in terms of age/potential, but you’ll also have to pay him like he was already better than everyone bar Chinry