What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

EelEtric

Juniors
Our management is slow at recruitment and retention, this is because it is a democratic process and this is the result. We have 5 people in the R&R committee, for mine this is not sustainable. There should be 1 voice at the table, my opinion the head coach, and the rest in the committee should be using their skills to get the job done for them so they get their targets. From what I've seen since the restructure this has largely failed us.
What makes you think this isn't how we operate the R&R process?
Do you really think that the CEO and Chairman actually pick the players to recruit? I reckon they are there to make sure the cap stays balanced only.

Gherkin

Juniors
The problem is (and why Newcastle are looking to offload him) is that Brailey has never reached his prime. His time at Newcastle has been pretty interrupted with a succession of injuries.

Having said that, I would give him a chance depending on how much Newcastle chips in. He'd be the best out of all the hookers available, despite his drawbacks. At least he's younger than the big money 9 we signed.
He might be a decent option if Newcastle covered half his salary. 2 year contract. Can start at 9 while we ease in MA and the other young hooker off the bench

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Which big salary player did we have in front of Michael Gabrael (centre) when we lost him after the 2022 season given he was only 17 in that year? Only one I can think of is Waqa Blake who was on the outer around that time. Did Canberra not have big money forwards: Josh Papalii, Joseph Tapine, Elliott Whitehead in front of Trey Mooney when they signed him? When we lost him we would have had Paulo, Gillard and Matterson.
I don’t think Gabrael or Mooney have the potential of players like Utoikamanu, Sanders and Penisini. Penisini played finals footy at Gabrael’s age. Utoikamanu scored six tries as a front rower when he was younger than Mooney, and was picked for Origin when he was only a year older than Mooney. I mention the years before and after because he was restricted to nine NRL games the year he turned 22 (Mooney’s age this year).
This can be true for Ethan Sanders but players in non-spine positions should be much easier to keep. How have the sharks got Stonestreet signed up until the end of next year despite having 2 long term wingers already contracted with one being a NZ national winger? This is one off the top of my head, I could find more if I went through the contract lists.
Stonestreet is a nobody. He is the same age as Penisini and Russell and only played a single game of first grade.
Our management is slow at recruitment and retention, this is because it is a democratic process and this is the result. We have 5 people in the R&R committee, for mine this is not sustainable. There should be 1 voice at the table, my opinion the head coach, and the rest in the committee should be using their skills to get the job done for them so they get their targets. From what I've seen since the restructure this has largely failed us.
It got us into the finals four straight years. Historically very difficult for our club. I believe what is happening now is just chickens coming home to roost after a premiership window. That we were outclassed by bigger clubs during that window is nobody’s fault. We just need to get bigger or pray for better luck next window.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
What makes you think this isn't how we operate the R&R process?
Do you really think that the CEO and Chairman actually pick the players to recruit? I reckon they are there to make sure the cap stays balanced only.

No I don't think they do but I do think they have a bigger say than what they should.

If they are there to only make sure the cap stays balanced then what is the job of the head of football? I reckon that should come under his jurisdiction

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I don’t think Gabrael or Mooney have the potential of players like Utoikamanu, Sanders and Penisini. Penisini played finals footy at Gabrael’s age. Utoikamanu scored six tries as a front rower when he was younger than Mooney, and was picked for Origin when he was only a year older than Mooney. I mention the years before and after because he was restricted to nine NRL games the year he turned 22 (Mooney’s age this year).

Stonestreet is a nobody. He is the same age as Penisini and Russell and only played a single game of first grade.

It got us into the finals four straight years. Historically very difficult for our club. I believe what is happening now is just chickens coming home to roost after a premiership window. That we were outclassed by bigger clubs during that window is nobody’s fault. We just need to get bigger or pray for better luck next window.

They may not have the potential of those guys but every squad needs depth. I believe it would've been better to have 19 year old Michael Gabrael debuting this week over a 25 year old Jake Tago, I reckon he has more potential than him.

Stonestreet has played a single game because of the strong wingers he's behind.

I don't believe this system did get us into the finals. I reckon it was more the work of Bernie Gurr in 2017 until 2019 (I think that's the year he left) that set us up for those years. O'Neill started at the end of 2018, after we had signed first graders to get us back into 4 years of consecutive finals. The current administration has seen us drop from 4 consecutive years of finals to 2 consecutive years outside where we're now 2nd last.

They may not have the potential of those guys but every squad needs depth. I believe it would've been better to have 19 year old Michael Gabrael debuting this week over a 25 year old Jake Tago, I reckon he has more potential than him.

Stonestreet has played a single game because of the strong wingers he's behind.

I don't believe this system did get us into the finals. I reckon it was more the work of Bernie Gurr in 2017 until 2019 (I think that's the year he left) that set us up for those years. O'Neill started at the end of 2018, after we had signed first graders to get us back into 4 years of consecutive finals. The current administration has seen us drop from 4 consecutive years of finals to 2 consecutive years outside where we're now 2nd last.
Bring back Bernie!

Soto

Bench
Who wouldn’t love to feel the Burn again??
Spoke to Bernie at the beginning of his tenure at one of the fan days at Accor as its now known. Had a good 10 min chat. Very giving of his time and knows his stuff. What an absolute gentleman.
Was very open stating he had been in the US for a lot of years and would watch what he could when over there.
Was also very aware of what mess we were in but you could see he knew what we needed to do to get out of it.
Top operator with business and footy experience.

Gronk

Staff member
Spoke to Bernie at the beginning of his tenure at one of the fan days at Accor as its now known. Had a good 10 min chat. Very giving of his time and knows his stuff. What an absolute gentleman.
Was very open stating he had been in the US for a lot of years and would watch what he could when over there.
Was also very aware of what mess we were in but you could see he knew what we needed to do to get out of it.
Top operator with business and footy experience.
He’s back in CA now.

IMG_1813.jpeg

TheRam

Coach
True and with more teams in the pipe line, there are going to be some decent players being paid like stars.

It's so important from a cap efficiency point of view that we get a juniour development in order.

We are imploding at precisely the wrong time. New teams means massive competition for signatures.

The teams like the Panthers, Dogs and Roosters that have their junior pathways in order will brain it, while we will wither on the vine and our rivals will pick and pluck our bones bare.

Does anyone here really think any of the last standing assistant candidates for the coaching job have the capability and strength to look the Parra hierarchy in the eye and tell them some home truths and then get their way?

Only Shane Flanagan before and Michael Chieka now have that kind of inner strength and experience to achieve such a thing immediately. We are looking at a 3-5 year cycle of downward spiraling and further weakening of the squad as players with options exercise those options and others simply get older and lose all hope and form.

This is what happens when you are a weak board of leaders and don't use all your blessed and abundant resources correctly and hire the best and most capable people in the appropriate roles. Phil Gould has been/was available for the right price, but we never even entertained spending the $1.5m a year that it would have probably cost to lure him over and fix what has been broken since Brian Smith left us and was broken before Brian Smith arrived for over a decade before. It would have been the best $1.5m Parra ever spent.

Now Peter O'Sullivan is another option we should have jumped on even if we don't have a coach appointed that could and would be invaluable to a struggling first year coach no matter who we pick. But no Crickets.

Like I have said before, we are staring down the barrel of at least a decade of crap coming our way unless a miracle somehow happens and we magically unearth a diamond that no one sees coming.

Buckley's and none!

Gronk

Staff member
Now Peter O'Sullivan is another option we should have jumped on even if we don't have a coach appointed that could and would be invaluable to a struggling first year coach no matter who we pick. But no Crickets.
There are plenty of other clubs that won't touch him.

1720051044776.png

Delboy

First Grade
When the current situation is looked at ! There is definite downward move from the time Bernie Gurr ran the club and the new board , CEO and HOF etc were put in place.

The new coach will have to change the playing style and that will mean a restructure of playing and coaching staff, and hopefully recruitment. Don’t think we should have a lot of confidence that we can achieve what’s needed with the set up we have. The juniors are now pushing through and we need someone at the top to get their retention correct and set the club up. Can only hope there is movement at the station sufficient to commence a move up the ladder .

A final point is that a academic qualifications do not always lead to better results in the real world, probably a lot of us have made that mistake, hire someone with degrees, courses etc and then realised they didn’t have the personal and relationship touch to perform .

Latest posts