What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
Were carrying $1.25mil for him to play at Manly ?
Well he did score a try in the GF. Surely his value sky-rocketed after that.

In fact until we make another one he will forever be Parramatta's last GF try scorer.

Can you just imagine Trivia nights in 25-30 years time and we haven't made another GF.

Asking the question who is Parramatta's last ever try scorer in a GF.

Jake who ???

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What are you on about merkin??? Smith a bloke who we signed this year. I’m talking about other kids in the district who were told don’t bother Midget Matty is going nowhere.

Well nowhere while Daddy was at the club anyway.
Which other kids? Matt Arthur made the NSW side for his age group, and captained the team as well. He also played NRL at 19, which is very rare. He has genuine NRL potential. That makes him a f**king unicorn compared to the hundreds of other kids in his age group who could still be playing SG Ball. Where are all these nuffies? If they were any good they would’ve been discovered by rival clubs. They’re all fishing in our pond. Yes that’s a euphemism, but not for any deviant sex acts.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I said they take up an import slot, of which I think ESL clubs have about six. Failing that they need UK citizenship. Prior to Brexit they could’ve had any EU passport, as well as countries designated in the Cotonou Agreement, which includes Pacific states like Fiji, Samoa and Tonga (but not Australia or NZ).

Theoretically, the ESL could still allow merkins with EU/etc passports to bypass foreign player limits, assuming they can get work permits. Non-UK players are still overrepresented in the Premier League, for example.

Eelctrifying

Juniors
I am young-ish for some of this board (37). I follow Parra because my Dad played in their [Edit clarity] in Moree, NSW team (under 17s that were undefeated for 5 seasons) in the dinosaur years before a stint at Parra feeder.

For the first time after 15 years, I just don't care. Like I just don't anymore. Already have to wait till 2025 to start all over again when we were in a GF 2 years prior. I don't get it. I don't get this club. And my dad who's 76 will likely never see a new premiership.

Sorry, not much to this, just needed to vent.

Last edited:

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Do you seriously believe Jake will get picked over Jamie Humphreys if either Brooks or DCE are out and Manly are in contention? That’s despite he has already signed elsewhere for next year. I think there’s zero
Chance.

To be fair Jake was starting 7 for Blacktown until he was injured. Humphreys had been playing 9 and they have now let him go to Souths.

I wish Jake all the best, absolutely terrific kid. Not his fault his old man picked him way before he was ready…..His brother can get f*cked though.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The article above implies we are one of the clubs paying significantly for players that are now at other clubs ? I can’t think of anyone we’ve let go early in the last fews years ?
Exactly. Just shit stirring rugby league journos helping fans get enraged over shit they don’t understand.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Which is weird, because someone here has said there’s no downside to player options from the club’s perspective.
No, a few someones suggested there was no upside. The downside is obvious (which is why media and fans fixate on it); the player can activate the PO if he gets no better offers. The upside isn’t obvious, in that the PO was exchanged for something else. That something else is contract money up front.

In the same way, a club option is something the club ‘buys’ from the player in exchange for giving him more money up front. The difference between a contract and the same contract with a PO or CO is cash.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No the article specifically mentions existing arrangements
It does. What it shows is that paying players to leave isn’t good for your salary cap. But the real problem is having players you don’t want contracted under your salary cap. This is why it’s better to lose a player than pay too much to sign/retain him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Do you seriously believe Jake will get picked over Jamie Humphreys if either Brooks or DCE are out and Manly are in contention? That’s despite he has already signed elsewhere for next year. I think there’s zero
Chance.
Last time Arthur was available he was picked over Humphreys. The latter is one of those unskilled, lightweight little merkins who are dangerous running the ball when their team is dominant. Like Jai Field. Humphreys could turn into a decent utility, but so far he has been behind Arthur in the pecking order, despite being eight months older than him.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm surprised people have an issue with Matt Arthur.

Surely this was ever going to be the only outcome once we punted his father.

You can't have your cake and eat it to.

The reality is at his stage of development means he's not ready to be a credible option as the first choice 9 this year, won't be a credible option to be the first choice next year, and very unlikely he'll even be ready the year after that. And this is a position we need a capable player right now...

It's a good time to cut our losses and just move on.

Latest posts