What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
All this talk about adding depth to our wings/centres somewhat confuses me, as I feel like we need more depth at fullback. As much as I love Gutho, he's clearly not a long-term fullback, and we have absolutely no depth in the position (besides Cini, who should be playing in Ron Massey). I personally love Apa Twidle, but unfortunately, his frame means that its going to take a while for him to physically prepare for FG. Although, I'm not too sure if there's any decent fullbacks available on the market atm.

Connor Votano from the Knights. He is a gun coming through and only 18 years old. We can offer him a contract from Nov 1st this year. He is a fullback but can play anywhere in the backline. So if Gutho still merits selection I would give this guy a wing or centre position to start with and the fullback role in a couple of years when Gutho's contract ends.

If you haven't seen his highlights youtube video that I have posted on here a few times I suggest you do. He is a ballplaying fullback with real skills, size and speed, may even end up at 5/8th. A real footballer. His progression maybe blocked a little since the Knights have Ponga and now Smith on their books so if we court him right and sell him a dream(and the right amount of money of course) then it maybe possible to snatch him from the knights. Remember the Knights are having salary cap issues at present, so if we make it known to his manager that we are interested in him now we could then strike straight away from 1st November. Remember you can talk to any player at any time, you just can't make a formal offer till the Nov 1st date before their last contracted year. But I don't think we are that type of savvy club.

EppingEel

Juniors
Connor Votano from the Knights. He is a gun coming through and only 18 years old. We can offer him a contract from Nov 1st this year. He is a fullback but can play anywhere in the backline. So if Gutho still merits selection I would give this guy a wing or centre position to start with and the fullback role in a couple of years when Gutho's contract ends.

If you haven't seen his highlights youtube video that I have posted on here a few times I suggest you do. He is a ballplaying fullback with real skills, size and speed, may even end up at 5/8th. A real footballer. His progression maybe blocked a little since the Knights have Ponga and now Smith on their books so if we court him right and sell him a dream(and the right amount of money of course) then it maybe possible to snatch him from the knights. Remember the Knights are having salary cap issues at present, so if we make it known to his manager that we are interested in him now we could then strike straight away from 1st November. Remember you can talk to any player at any time, you just can't make a formal offer till the Nov 1st date before their last contracted year. But I don't think we are that type of savvy club.
Just watched his highlights, all I can say is wow.

EelEtric

Juniors
For an account with a pissy 1k following they sure know how to blow shit out of their trumpet
I had an hours face to face meeting with Sarantinos last week and a follow up email conversation with him this week. Do I need to create an instagram account so I can blow some shit too?

* note that the meeting was not NRL team related although we did discuss some general things related to the team.

The Colonel

Immortal
The Parra Plodcast were not just talking but actually "rubbing shoulders" with Sarantinos on Friday night in the field club so they must know everything now.

They are posting off the back of a report from five days ago...... it is almost Tony Adams level breaking news.

Stevie

Bench
The only people that have said he flew to QLD are the same idiots on that podcast who wanted fans to protest at the home game last week.

I have lost all respect for them tbh after last week's embarrassing Social media push for a protest.

There credibility is down the toilet.
I couldn't help commenting on their page last night (I don't actually follow them on FB) and couldn't help saying how embarrassing they were. Boy, they did NOT like that!

I actually tried listening to their podcast and they were going on about how the CEO "knows" who they are and that players listen to their podcast and have also blocked them on social media lol.

Talk about deluded! As if the club has any interest in what those nufties are carrying on about. That Troy bloke is so cringe lol

oldmancraigy

Coach
First time I saw him was last year after the SG Ball grand final. I turned up to the Flegg game as there was bound to be some players coming up.

Ethyn was on the wing and first time he got the ball, HE RAN OVER A BLOKE. and then went another 30m to score.

Sorry MiTS - I think you're remembering the wrong event. After the Ball GF he played in one of those half-time games against the Rhinos under 7s, and boy oh boy was he in steamroller mode that night!

Joey Johns saw it too. I was sitting near enough to hear him gasp "what a player"

Chipmunk

Coach
I think the good news out of Holmes signing with the Dragons is that it gives them the ability to absorb all of RCGs contract.
**if that is what they are looking to do here**

That's based on other speculation, but the hiccup was allegedly waiting for someone to take on all of Holmes' deal. Now that is done, RCG can head north (or better yet, SIVO!!), and we have space for the next domino to fall.

We had $500k/ year in room for Blaize. Whatever we free up in releasing someone can be added to that, and maybe we can luck out on attracting two solid players in return (eg 500k each), or 1 'culture vet' (250k) and 1 semi-star (750k - 1M if RCG goes).

The NRL off-season would be a LOT more fun (and far more above-board) if player salaries were released as in US professional sports. It would give the fans so much more fun poking around with potential scenarios (**while at the same time opening up avenues for wrath and ire at perceived overpaid dudes).
So the Cowboys will have RCG, McLean, Cotter, Taumalolo, Hess and Neame as their middles in their Best 17...

And we'll have Paulo, Greig, Joffa, Hopgood, Guymer, and potentially Matterson ?

Surely we're not that dumb?

hindy111

Post Whore

Oooh dangue fever

The Colonel

Immortal
So the Cowboys will have RCG, McLean, Cotter, Taumalolo, Hess and Neame as their middles in their Best 17...

I believe you will find that Taumalolo will be on offer to the ESL or other NRL clubs and why they are looking at RCG - mostly because of the length of the contract he still has and the amount. McLean is also nearing the end of his career too.

84 Baby

Referee

And we'll have Paulo, Greig, Joffa, Hopgood, Guymer, and potentially Matterson ?

Surely we're not that dumb?
Apart from Cotter & Neame, the rest of the Cows pack since that prelim could have easily substituted with ours for the same results on both sides

JokerEel

Coach
I believe you will find that Taumalolo will be on offer to the ESL or other NRL clubs and why they are looking at RCG - mostly because of the length of the contract he still has and the amount. McLean is also nearing the end of his career too.

McLean doesn't have a contract next year at the cows also was reported JT manager knocked back advances from the ESL just recently which means he is probably on the move.

Chipmunk

Coach
Apart from Cotter & Neame, the rest of the Cows pack since that prelim could have easily substituted with ours for the same results on both sides
They're more than 2 wins ahead of the team running 9th, so they'll make the Top 8 pretty easily, even after having 6 players out with Origin.

We'll run either last or one better.

if we dont replace RCG with a better option for next season, I can't see our position improving.

Latest posts