What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
The man was simply the most talented footballer I have ever seen, but unfortunately he played for a team that never had the right people in charge on or off the field to sort out his selfish traits and demons.
You had me until the bolded bit.

Sorry, but it's not other people's fault that he failed to reach his potential. That's a cop out. He was extremely well paid and the results (unfortunately) speak for themselves.

As you say, he had selfish traits and demons. Agree with that.

JT suffered from shit squads around him, but he dragged the Nth Qld side by it's balls into finals contention in 8 of 13 years and got 2 comps.

Gronk

Staff member
Will Hayne ever be inducted into the NRL Hall of Fame?
Well you just need to isolate his achievements at club, state and international level to determine if he achieved enough. Did he ?

You don’t get indicted inducted for extremely good moments. You get inducted for a consistent high level of achievement.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Sorry, but it's not other people's fault that he failed to reach his potential. That's a cop out. He was extremely well paid and the results (unfortunately) speak for themselves.

JT suffered from shit squads around him, but he dragged the Nth Qld side by it's balls into finals contention in 8 of 13 years and got 2 comps.

With all due respect, JT was a half - way easier to influence a game, than at fullback.

Also, while the Cowboys underperformed from 2008 to about 2012, their squad aril featured players like Matt Scott, Steven Southern, Luke O'Donnell, Matt Bowen, James Tamou, Willie Tonga...

Hayne has halves like Jeff Robson, Luke Kelly, Daniel Mortimer, Casey McGuire, Ben Roberts, and Chris Sandow to work with, and stellar backline names such as Ken Sio, Chris Walker, Cheyse Blair...

Not to mention such intimidating forward presences as Mitchell Allgood, Rory Brien, Shane Shackleton...

I agree that JT dragged the Cowboys out of mediocrity, but he had help.

The quality of Hayne's teammates was abysmal.

Hayne's high salary, combined with how bad we were, meant we couldn't sign quality to complement him, and we couldn't develop a player to save our lives.

It's a crying shame, tbh.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well you just need to isolate his achievements at club, state and international level to determine if he achieved enough. Did he ?

You don’t get indicted inducted for extremely good moments. You get inducted for a consistent high level of achievement.

A Grand Final, two Dally Ms, a SOO series win (and player of the series award, I think?)...

I think he's deserving of an induction.

Eelementary

Post Whore
@Tiger5150, so help me, if you steal the Spoon from us, I will be the biggest lobbyist to have you banned from this forum that you've ever seen.

It belongs to us - don't you dare crush my hopes.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Maybe, but someone would need to compare his achievements vs those who are already in the HOF to see if his induction is valid.

I think the age at which he won the Dally Ms should also be taken into account - two Dally Ms before the age of 27 is mighty impressive.

strider

Post Whore
Just cos Jarryd is no longer sitting in a prison cell, doesnt mean he hasnt conducted himself like a knob and f**ked his legacy. You can still be a complete tool and not be in gaol.

Gronk

Staff member
I think the age at which he won the Dally Ms should also be taken into account - two Dally Ms before the age of 27 is mighty impressive.
Ok so I asked AI and she said…..

So based on this, I reckon the answer is YES.

Here is a detailed list of the top 10 players with the most Dally M Medal wins, including **Rookie of the Year**, **Positional**, and **Representative awards**:

### 1. **Johnathan Thurston**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 4 (2005, 2007, 2014, 2015)
- **Positional Awards**: Halfback of the Year (2005, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2014, 2015)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2005, 2013, 2015

### 2. **Andrew Johns**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 3 (1998, 1999, 2002)
- **Positional Awards**: Halfback of the Year (1998, 1999, 2002), Five-eighth of the Year (2003)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2001, 2005

### 3. **Cameron Smith**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 2 (2006, 2017)
- **Positional Awards**: Hooker of the Year (2006, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2007, 2011, 2013, 2016

### 4. **Cooper Cronk**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 2 (2013, 2016)
- **Positional Awards**: Halfback of the Year (2013, 2016)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2012, 2016

### 5. **Jason Taumalolo**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 1 (2016)
- **Positional Awards**: Lock of the Year (2015, 2016, 2017)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2016

### 6. **Jarryd Hayne**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 1 (2009, tied with Thurston)
- **Positional Awards**: Fullback of the Year (2009, 2014)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2014

### 7. **Ben Barba**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 1 (2012)
- **Positional Awards**: Fullback of the Year (2012)

### 8. **Tom Trbojevic**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 1 (2021)
- **Positional Awards**: Fullback of the Year (2021)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2021

### 9. **Kalyn Ponga**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 1 (2022)
- **Positional Awards**: Fullback of the Year (2022)

### 10. **Todd Carney**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 1 (2010)
- **Positional Awards**: Five-eighth of the Year (2010)

This list reflects not only the top Dally M winners but also their dominance across multiple categories such as positional and representative awards.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ok so I asked AI and she said…..

So based on this, I reckon the answer is YES.

Here is a detailed list of the top 10 players with the most Dally M Medal wins, including **Rookie of the Year**, **Positional**, and **Representative awards**:

### 1. **Johnathan Thurston**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 4 (2005, 2007, 2014, 2015)
- **Positional Awards**: Halfback of the Year (2005, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2014, 2015)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2005, 2013, 2015

### 2. **Andrew Johns**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 3 (1998, 1999, 2002)
- **Positional Awards**: Halfback of the Year (1998, 1999, 2002), Five-eighth of the Year (2003)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2001, 2005

### 3. **Cameron Smith**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 2 (2006, 2017)
- **Positional Awards**: Hooker of the Year (2006, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2007, 2011, 2013, 2016

### 4. **Cooper Cronk**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 2 (2013, 2016)
- **Positional Awards**: Halfback of the Year (2013, 2016)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2012, 2016

### 5. **Jason Taumalolo**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 1 (2016)
- **Positional Awards**: Lock of the Year (2015, 2016, 2017)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2016

### 6. **Jarryd Hayne**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 1 (2009, tied with Thurston)
- **Positional Awards**: Fullback of the Year (2009, 2014)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2014

### 7. **Ben Barba**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 1 (2012)
- **Positional Awards**: Fullback of the Year (2012)

### 8. **Tom Trbojevic**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 1 (2021)
- **Positional Awards**: Fullback of the Year (2021)
- **Representative Player of the Year**: 2021

### 9. **Kalyn Ponga**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 1 (2022)
- **Positional Awards**: Fullback of the Year (2022)

### 10. **Todd Carney**
- **Dally M Medal Wins**: 1 (2010)
- **Positional Awards**: Five-eighth of the Year (2010)

This list reflects not only the top Dally M winners but also their dominance across multiple categories such as positional and representative awards.

Seems fair.

I think the only thing Jarryd didn't add to his resume was a Premiership.

Other than that, his resume is mighty impressive.

Gronk

Staff member
Seems fair.

True, but remember that the Dally Ms is not the only metric. How many games did he play for the Kangaroos, not including minnow teams during World Cups ? I think that lets him down.

hindy111

Post Whore

Nobody said it's other people's fault. Where did you pull that line from?
What I was suggesting is had he had a better coaching figure and support staff around him who gave good advice would he of went off the rails? Maybe or maybe not. The fact is he didn't have that opportunity.
You're suggesting make no difference While I will argue we won't know

He isn't a highly educated person and those people are much easier to sway generally. I mean he had a tough upbringing in housing commission in Campbelltown.

Your view seems very RIGHT WING.

Gronk

Staff member
Nobody said it's other people's fault. Where did you pull that line from?
What I was suggesting is had he had a better coaching figure and support staff around him who gave good advice would he of went off the rails? Maybe or maybe not. The fact is he didn't have that opportunity.
You're suggesting make no difference While I will argue we won't know

He isn't a highly educated person and those people are much easier to sway generally. I mean he had a tough upbringing in housing commission in Campbelltown.

Your view seems very RIGHT WING.
Sure, so you could apply the same assessment to Tim Smith, Latrell Mitchell or Todd Carney. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. If only they played for a team that had the right people in charge …

but unfortunately he played for a team that never had the right people in charge on or off the field to sort out his selfish traits and demons.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Seems fair.

Jarryd only lost 3 finals matches in his time at Parramatta
2006 - Melbourne
2007 - Melbourne
2009 - Melbourne

All 3 seasons they were later found to be over the cap.

So technically Jarryd never lost a semi final to a cap compliant side.

Latest posts