What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Footy talk involving a personal opinion?!?

Love it! More pls.

It will be very interesting to see what the 2-5 is for next season. Sivo was brilliant the last couple of weeks, but leaves me unconvinced he can be a FG winger from a defensive frame of reference. There will always be that fear in the back of the mind (replaced by will confidence when he gets the ball 10m out)

It will be interesting to see if Gutho can add any weight to his frame to play through the middle. I think you're spot on as to his possible role next year. We shall see
Don't think Gutho needs any extra weight, he is already close to 100kg, we want him to be mobile, that's the benefit of him playing in the middle, extra weight will take away his strength....

Stevie

Bench
The other thing here Pou is you are posting our 1-7 and I can’t remember the last time we had our preferred 1-7 with any consistency. He seemingly have no end of backs injuries so depth is critical.

Iongi in his first ever season I can’t imagine handling the whole year, so no doubt he’ll get a spell at which point Gutho is Mr reliable and could shift from centre and we throw a back up in there.

Lastly, we’ve lost with Moses or Brown for long periods the last couple years. Gutho could again shift from centre into halves providing great cover whilst you bring in a reserve grader (Russell etc) for a while into centre without disrupting too much.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Iongi in his first ever season I can’t imagine handling the whole year, so no doubt he’ll get a spell at which point Gutho is Mr reliable and could shift from centre and we throw a back up in there.

In one of Ryles, interviews he mentions how Iongi has played several years of Nsw cup (which would include several nrl off season's).

So he has a pretty good base to hit the NRL running. Not so much as being the finished product, but up to the physical side/week to week grind. A lot off rookies generally don't come in the NRL with the level of NSW cup experience Iongi has.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
In one of Ryles, interviews he mentions how Iongi has played several years of Nsw cup (which would include several nrl off season's).

So he has a pretty good base to hit the NRL running. Not so much as being the finished product, but up to the physical side/week to week grind. A lot off rookies generally don't come in the NRL with the level of NSW cup experience Iongi has.

Yes hopefully this means we see the younger guys get more time in reserve grade. This year a few times we played guys up from ron Massey when we had players from Jersey Flegg playing well and contracted for the first grade squad next year.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Parra having a 14 on $900K is perfect in my opinion

Is that close to the amount you guys paid players to play at other clubs in 2024??

Gutho is only on 900k for 1 more year. And he is on 900k no matter where we play him. If we have a better FB on 250k, then what's the difference between our starting FB and 14 earning those salaries?

**IMO 900k is too much for the Guthbus at FB too - as much as I love his heart. He is a legend but not worth that cash, and I'll concede that point to you 365 days a year!!

RustedonEel

Juniors
Here's a suggestion to get all your knickers in a twist o_O

I am a great believer in Gibbo's mantra "You pick your best 13 players and find them a position".

If we assume Iongi is playing fullback (maybe not from the season start), Moses and Brown stay where they are and we pick up a serviceable hooker (Hands maybe the best we can get), where do we play Gutho?

He is far too good for 14. Playing 13 or 9 (middle) will kill him (besides we have Hopgood, Matto etc to fill those roles).

Why not play him on an edge (preferably with Brown but could be Moses)? I can see him sorting out our centre/wing defence on that side with a few well chosen words.

Latest posts