What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

JokerEel

Coach
Interesting about the second NZ team. Those that read the Dinner thread will know I have just spent time over there. I went all over the North Island and some of the South. Not one person I spoke to gave 2 f**ks about league. I couldn't find either if the 2 semis on TV, nor the prelims. On the other hand, there was mass coverage of the AB team announcements and general excitement about the Bledisloe. The local rugby comps where very visible wherever I went. I'm not convinced that the Warriors are actually making any dent in Union despite the Wah's being mega popular narrative which seems to come from within league itself.

Didn't the Wahs sell out every home game this season. Must be making some small dents

Also on the above the same could be said about the Storm when they were introduced in 98.

It's all about the TV rights at the end of the day if the business model for another NZ team is just too good to ignore they will worry about people giving a rats afterwards..

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Didn't the Wahs sell out every home game this season. Must be making some small dents

Also on the above the same could be said about the Storm when they were introduced in 98.

It's all about the TV rights at the end of the day if the business model for another NZ team is just too good to ignore they will worry about people giving a rats afterwards..
They are coexisting, but I doubt they are taking any ground off Union. Fair enough to your point about TV rights though. I just think that RL teams should go to RL people so I don't mind Queensland getting another team.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Interesting about the second NZ team. Those that read the Dinner thread will know I have just spent time over there. I went all over the North Island and some of the South. Not one person I spoke to gave 2 f**ks about league. I couldn't find either if the 2 semis on TV, nor the prelims. On the other hand, there was mass coverage of the AB team announcements and general excitement about the Bledisloe. The local rugby comps where very visible wherever I went. I'm not convinced that the Warriors are actually making any dent in Union despite the Wah's being mega popular narrative which seems to come from within league itself.
They have enough support. They got over 20k to every home game this year.

JokerEel

Coach
They are coexisting, but I doubt they are taking any ground off Union. Fair enough to your point about TV rights though. I just think that RL teams should go to RL people so I don't mind Queensland getting another team.

That's not how you make money though it's about new people coming and watching the sport.

If they get a smart consortium involved with the second NZ team they will be fine. Competition between 2 NZ teams will be good for the game

King-Gutho94

Coach
That's not how you make money though it's about new people coming and watching the sport.

If they get a smart consortium involved with the second NZ team they will be fine. Competition between 2 NZ teams will be good for the game
2nd NZ team should be based in Christchurch representing the south Island.

I was in Christchurch last year and they are basically building a brand new rectangular stadium 10 min walk from the city centre.

Is there enough corporate support there well I assume there would be if Townsville can have a team.

It only takes watching one game of rugby league to actually figure out its a shit tonne better sport then Rugby.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
I can't see him being resigned, love to see him stay at the club in some sort of development role like the Bulldogs do with their former players.
I’d love to see him stay but it would need to be on salary that is about half of what he’s on now, otherwise I’d suggest it doesn’t work for the club.

Delboy

First Grade
2nd NZ team should be based in Christchurch representing the south Island.

I was in Christchurch last year and they are basically building a brand new rectangular stadium 10 min walk from the city centre.

Is there enough corporate support there well I assume there would be if Townsville can have a team.

It only takes watching one game of rugby league to actually figure out its a shit tonne better sport then Rugby.
Actually, you can’t doubt the reach of rugby league in NZ, my son in law is a Kiwi from a town 2 hours from Christchurch. For years the All Blacks was the only game in town. Last year, 6 of his schoolmates flew to Sydney for the Warriors game agst Parra and confessed they now watch league over union. We’re talking about blokes in their 50s doing that and that’s how much the tables have turned.

League doesn’t have the foothold on the South Island that it does around Auckland, but it sells out when the Warriors play in Christchurch now, and when they played a trial in Greymouth too. Could be an interesting next few years if the Warriors continue their uptick.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Not really much to take off this other then they met and we didn't get the details what was actually eaten at breakfast.

Was it Avocado on Toast, Bacon & Eggs, Ham & Cheese toasted sandwich. Did it come with Orange/Apple Juice and a coffee.

What is the germ Weidler actually trying to say here.

Its only news if we have told him he wont be here in 2026 or were happy for him to go now.

Gronk

Staff member
I’d love to see him stay but it would need to be on salary that is about half of what he’s on now, otherwise I’d suggest it doesn’t work for the club.
+1. I think he needs to find himself a gig a Catalans for 2026+. Go out with a bang in 2025. Come back and be an Eel in some capacity.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Actually, you can’t doubt the reach of rugby league in NZ, my son in law is a Kiwi from a town 2 hours from Christchurch. For years the All Blacks was the only game in town. Last year, 6 of his schoolmates flew to Sydney for the Warriors game agst Parra and confessed they now watch league over union. We’re talking about blokes in their 50s doing that and that’s how much the tables have turned.

League doesn’t have the foothold on the South Island that it does around Auckland, but it sells out when the Warriors play in Christchurch now, and when they played a trial in Greymouth too. Could be an interesting next few years if the Warriors continue their uptick.

This is the stadium there building in Christchurch.

30k i reckon its perfect for Rugby League. Plonk a team there and let it grow the South Island is a beautiful part of the world. Kaikoura, Franz Josef, Queenstown are wonderful places i couldn't recommend South Island enough. Having a Rugby League team there would be awesome.

In terms of the kiwis especially those who move to Sydney actually move away from supporting union and watch/support Rugby League.

The only annoying thing is they support QLD in Origin despite moving to Sydney.

Delboy

First Grade
Who knows it may have been a meeting to talk to Gutho about extending on a team friendly deal, which if you see how he is so committed to the club may not be a stretch. Also, was it about how he fits into the scheme the new coach wants and if he is on board etc.

Danny Dribbler is a gossip hound these days, so tend to ignore him, his major role seems to be pumping up the tyres of anything Rooster or Wobbo related.

Latest posts