What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Exactly right. If you were an elite player you would not want to sign such a stupid deal. Instead of receiving $1m per year x 10 years, you would simply want to receive 10% of their cap per year for 10 years.

#winning
How do you know that's not what he is actually signing up to and the people reporting it are just guessing what a 10 year deal would be worth.
I thought the NRL were frowning upon percentage based contracts? Surely the club would be.
Anyway I can't see the salary cap suddenly doubling, even over 10 years. If it does go up dramatically, it'll be closer to the end of the 10 years when you'd suspect he wouldn't be playing at quite the same level anyway

Gronk

Staff member
I thought the NRL were frowning upon percentage based contracts? Surely the club would be.
Anyway I can't see the salary cap suddenly doubling, even over 10 years. If it does go up dramatically, it'll be closer to the end of the 10 years when you'd suspect he wouldn't be playing at quite the same level anyway

Well it's rumoured to be $10m in 2018. Compared to 10 years ago it's more than doubled. So I think it will again in the next 10 years.

I suspect that in 10 years time Telstra (for example) will have 100% broadcast rights (digital) and that free to air TV may not even exist in the same capacity as it does now.

Clipboard01.jpg

Avenger

Immortal
Wouldn't
Some stuff I heard over the weekend.

(I think one of us here hinted the bit about Bird it and kudos to them)

1. We are looking at Jack Bird.
2. Jason Taumalolo wants massive money to leave the Cowboys. Apparently he will be the most expensive forward in the game no matter where he ends up.
3. Mitchell Moses is shopping himself around like a whore (Exact words).
4. We are close to announcing David Nofoaluma. Not a done deal yet. Tigers may now have enough to keep him with the Simona de-registration.
Can I say that 1,2 and 3 were on the money?

84 Baby

Referee
Well it's rumoured to be $10m in 2018. Compared to 10 years ago it's more than doubled. So I think it will again in the next 10 years.

I suspect that in 10 years time Telstra (for example) will have 100% broadcast rights (digital) and that free to air TV may not even exist in the same capacity as it does now.

View attachment 11982
I can't see it jumping $3m before next season, especially at this late a date. I too think that there will be a predominant digital broadcaster in the future but I reckon this will plateau the income not accelerate it

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Unless the salary cap rises a stack in his last few years and elite players are earning 1.5-2million
Yeah that's true, but he could do his knee next year and turn into a cheeseburger, at least this sort of contract sets him up for life no matter what happens.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
NQ Cowboys‏Verified account@nthqldcowboys 14m14 minutes ago
CONGRATULATIONS JASE: Taumalolo inks 10-year deal READ MORE: http://bit.ly/cowboy-for-life #ridemcowboys

C7fGWXCVUAARF-Z.jpg

so,....who should we turn our attention to instead upfront?

ash411

Bench
So, why would we pay a huge premium for an untested half?

I mean, Bird is a good player, and would be a good addition to the side, but if we are going to throw big money for a replacement for Gutho at 6, shouldn't we buy a proper, experienced 6 to replace him?

It seems counter-intuitive to replace a project half with another project half that costs ariound 3 times as much..

Is it me? Am I just really under-estimating how good Bird is?

Gronk

Staff member
So, why would we pay a huge premium for an untested half?

I mean, Bird is a good player, and would be a good addition to the side, but if we are going to throw big money for a replacement for Gutho at 6, shouldn't we buy a proper, experienced 6 to replace him?

It seems counter-intuitive to replace a project half with another project half that costs ariound 3 times as much..

Is it me? Am I just really under-estimating how good Bird is?

Just you merkin.

Gronk

Staff member
Exactly right. If you were an elite player you would not want to sign such a stupid deal. Instead of receiving $1m per year x 10 years, you would simply want to receive 10% of their cap per year for 10 years.

#winning

84 Baby

Referee
He's no certainty to last the 10 years but he was a certainty to double his value and receive it in 5 years time over the following 5 years?

hindy111

Post Whore
I doubt we'd get him at a good price. Sharks would be his first choice and with them persisting with Bird at fullback and Holmes on the wing (and with some nuffy at centre) it appears the Sharks are trying to find a place for him that allows them to compete with other reasonable offers. Nobody will get him from the Sharks unless they pay overs, IMO.

IM) ? Of course its your opinion- Who elses could it be?

hindy111

Post Whore
What annoys is me is that we could obtain a Parramatta great to play at 6 next year and he could do it easily but his ego and treachery now makes that impossible. Yes you know who I am talking about. Bird is a quality player no doubt but Jarryd Hayne has more ability and is twice the player than Bird will ever be. The end.

He is almost 30 - Id rather Bird