What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Avenger

Immortal
What annoys is me is that we could obtain a Parramatta great to play at 6 next year and he could do it easily but his ego and treachery now makes that impossible. Yes you know who I am talking about. Bird is a quality player no doubt but Jarryd Hayne has more ability and is twice the player than Bird will ever be. The end.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
What annoys is me is that we could obtain a Parramatta great to play at 6 next year and he could do it easily but his ego and treachery now makes that impossible. Yes you know who I am talking about. Bird is a quality player no doubt but Jarryd Hayne has more ability and is twice the player than Bird will ever be. The end.
we know he had the ability - does he still have it?

bartman

Immortal
What annoys is me is that we could obtain a Parramatta great to play at 6 next year and he could do it easily but his ego and treachery now makes that impossible.
Brett Kenny's a bit old for the modern game, don't you think Av? ;)

It's easier not to be annoyed when you just start laughing at the selfish merkin.

raider89

Juniors
No doubt he is very good player, but is he what Parra need.

Parramatta need ore options from its 7 & 9. We looked like a chook with it's head cut off against Gold Coast. For mine the first priority is a half who is a good organiser, kicks well and is a solid defender.

We also need a good hooker. Wish the bloke from Canberra was an option.

Add a big dominating prop and we are a top 4 team with areal cance of winning a comp.

So if you could sign, oh I don't know, Nathan Peats, Keiran Foran and Junior Paulo for example?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's not that he can't tackle, it's that his lateral movement isn't good enough to defend at centre. At edge forward, two positions closer to centrefield, the defender is less isolated.

Gronk

Staff member
If DCE signed a 8 year $10m contract, how is a 10 year $10m contract for Toumolololololo the richest deal in NRL history ?

Incorrect

Coach
If DCE signed a 8 year $10m contract, how is a 10 year $10m contract for Toumolololololo the richest deal in NRL history ?
You have to read the disclaimer

"Richest deal in NRL History*"

* for a forward, playing for Nth QLD, and who has 4 or more syllables in their surname...

muznik

Juniors

I was thinking the same thing. Even in the article with "Richest deal in NRL history" headline, they reference DCE's deal for same amount over shorter time ..WTF? But then they dont ever let facts get in the way of a good clickbait.. err I mean story

Gronk

Staff member
Unless the salary cap rises a stack in his last few years and elite players are earning 1.5-2million

Exactly right. If you were an elite player you would not want to sign such a stupid deal. Instead of receiving $1m per year x 10 years, you would simply want to receive 10% of their cap per year for 10 years.

#winning

strider

Post Whore
But its probably fair enough to have your contract taper off in the latter part of your career ... so fixed massive money upfront turns into average money later

And clubs are safer now that the insurance can cover if there is a career ending injury

Chipmunk

Coach
Exactly right. If you were an elite player you would not want to sign such a stupid deal. Instead of receiving $1m per year x 10 years, you would simply want to receive 10% of their cap per year for 10 years.

#winning

How do you know that's not what he is actually signing up to and the people reporting it are just guessing what a 10 year deal would be worth.

El Diablo

Post Whore
But its probably fair enough to have your contract taper off in the latter part of your career ... so fixed massive money upfront turns into average money later

i would think it goes up towards the end seeing the salary cap is always going up