What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Surely just journos seeing a highly paid Eels player off contract and finding an opportunity to write more Eels headlines. Click click click

It's a key reason why we've been unable to negotiate with players from a position of strength during the social media age. Anxiety and outrage from Eels fans is huge and immediate. It's just another ace up the sleeve of player managers.

Where's the articles speculating on the Broncos making $1M offers for Sam Walker or other high profile Roosters or Storm players? They're not after Grant or Munster, it's Moses and Ponga they want to poach. In November it'll be Queenslander Reed Mahoney in their sights.

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach
I'd be enquiring about that Hamiso Tabui-fidmerkin from the Cows. Be cheaper than Gagai and is absolute lightning. Still raw but is not far away from taking the next step IMO

JokerEel

Coach
Moses would have to be out of his mind if he left the Eels to go to the Broncos or Sharks...

He isn't 30 yet and if he stayed with the Eels and won a title with them in the next 3 years he would be offered alot more than what he would get now..

Going from a club that is in a window now to a club that won't be close for 5 years in nuts just chasing a quick buck.

T.S Quint

Coach
Moses would have to be out of his mind if he left the Eels to go to the Broncos or Sharks...

He isn't 30 yet and if he stayed with the Eels and won a title with them in the next 3 years he would be offered alot more than what he would get now..

Going from a club that is in a window now to a club that won't be close for 5 years in nuts just chasing a quick buck.

Would be a shitload of quick bucks though.
Hard to say no to that a lot of the time.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
While I don’t want to lose Moses we shouldn’t be offering him stupid money.

There is a few options to replace him, especially a few rough diamonds, and while they won’t be as good, they will be a lot cheaper allowing us to strengthen other positions (like faster backs)

Additionally we already have a decent spine and strong pack / culture so we have some flexibility who we could replace Moses with.

Potential options could be (which may include Gutho moving to the halves):

Duffy - would add speed
Drinkwater - always had potential
Milford - reckon BA could potentially get the best out of him. He needs a change
Widdop - 1 year options to consider where to go. Can play, adds experience
Taylor - can play, make a strong side and BA could help him reach his potential
Clune (dragons may consider release) - no superstar but goes ok

While it’s not the perfect scenario, I reckon BA could work with these options, and still keep as a top 6 side. Probably the biggest issue would be relaxing Moses kicking game.

What if Moses go, we add one of those players and also sign Staggs, are we a better or worse side ?

Noise

Coach
While I don’t want to lose Moses we shouldn’t be offering him stupid money.

There is a few options to replace him, especially a few rough diamonds, and while they won’t be as good, they will be a lot cheaper allowing us to strengthen other positions (like faster backs)

Additionally we already have a decent spine and strong pack / culture so we have some flexibility who we could replace Moses with.

Potential options could be (which may include Gutho moving to the halves):

Duffy - would add speed
Drinkwater - always had potential
Milford - reckon BA could potentially get the best out of him. He needs a change
Widdop - 1 year options to consider where to go. Can play, adds experience
Taylor - can play, make a strong side and BA could help him reach his potential
Clune (dragons may consider release) - no superstar but goes ok

While it’s not the perfect scenario, I reckon BA could work with these options, and still keep as a top 6 side. Probably the biggest issue would be relaxing Moses kicking game.

What if Moses go, we add one of those players and also sign Staggs, are we a better or worse side ?
Losing Moses and adding any of those plus Stagg would certainly make us a worse side. Stagg is a shit defender and the others on the list are either past it (widdop and Milford) , never had it (Drinkwater, Clune) or play one good game in every 4 or 5 (Taylor , Dufty). These would be terrible replacements.

hindy111

Post Whore
Ponga will be a Bronco. He is from QLD and is a superior option to Moses age and talent wise. He could become the best player in the game.
If we did lose Moses I'd offer Johnson a 2yr deal. He would be a perfect addition and won't cost an arm and leg. I reckon 500-600k mark.
From what I heard we offered Moses a 2yr deal. 1yr extra to his option plus a bit more cash then his current deal. We are not interested in giving him a longer deal. Id say we want to go with Brown and Arthurs moving forward.
I think Mitch will stay and take our 2yr offer. Ponga will end up north and so will Mitch Kenny. That will transform the side.

hindy111

Post Whore
Losing Moses and adding any of those plus Stagg would certainly make us a worse side. Stagg is a shit defender and the others on the list are either past it (widdop and Milford) , never had it (Drinkwater, Clune) or play one good game in every 4 or 5 (Taylor , Dufty). These would be terrible replacements.

In 2020 I thought the Panthers would struggle to make the finals and Cleary would be exposed as a guy who has had it easy with Maloney running things.
Turns out he went up 3 gears. Do you think Brown may do the same?
Gutherson I don't like in Halves. His kicking game I don't feel is good enough.
I'd be happy with blooding Arthurs also. His defense will be fine. Aslong as he gets his kicking game at a high level we would be fine.

You then have an extra 650k saved. That could mean you add in your backline 2 x stars rather then 2 x average players.
Having a good half is important but sometimes you'll get away with serviceable ones if the rest of the side is bullet proof. Reality is teams have to score points against you also. Build a strong defensive side with a powerfull engine room and heaps of go forward and you will just roll over most of them.

Cloeel

Juniors
In 2020 I thought the Panthers would struggle to make the finals and Cleary would be exposed as a guy who has had it easy with Maloney running things.
Turns out he went up 3 gears. Do you think Brown may do the same?
Gutherson I don't like in Halves. His kicking game I don't feel is good enough.
I'd be happy with blooding Arthurs also. His defense will be fine. Aslong as he gets his kicking game at a high level we would be fine.

You then have an extra 650k saved. That could mean you add in your backline 2 x stars rather then 2 x average players.
Having a good half is important but sometimes you'll get away with serviceable ones if the rest of the side is bullet proof. Reality is teams have to score points against you also. Build a strong defensive side with a powerfull engine room and heaps of go forward and you will just roll over most of them.

I have not watched A lot of JA (Maybe 3/4 games).

Do you believe if we lost Moses for next year he would be out of place in the FG side?

Latest posts