What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Cloeel

Juniors
This is a brilliant article and I hope that A. Johns somehow convinces our coaching staff to apply these ideas and principles to our clubs way of thinking and coaching. Especially the schools thing.

It also probably explains why our ball runners(backrowers) struggle to hit a hole correctly and I was banging on about it so much last year. As an example of someone that knows how to run a line or hit a hole look at Souths Keaon Koloamatangi. Our backrowers are not in the same league in this area of their game. That includes I. Papalii, who relies mainly on power, energy and a little footwork.

But anyway, this article is well worth a read. We can only hope that Johns influence on our team and playmakers in particular really takes root. But I would love to see us move in this direction if we haven't already done so. When I look at someone like Drown's game he is a perfect example of someone that has the talent, but needs years of this type of tuition and guidance to develop it properly.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/bbb76487808146f1aa44680d4cef54a9

Matty Johns: The secret to an NRL club’s success

The best NRL clubs have built their success by getting young talent into their system early and educating them with some basic rugby league principles, writes Matty Johns.

It seems that the theme of this season is ‘the haves and the have nots’.

The gap between the best and the rest.

How do you close the gap? Well we can’t, they, the struggling clubs, have to.

I hear people say the six-again rule and the tempo increase is to blame, but there’s no way we should revert back to a middle-field wrestle fest just to artificially level out the competition.

The game has gone back to what it should be.

There’s a reason why some sides are consistently in the top four, some consistently in the bottom four, and some consistently in between.

Some organisations in the NRL build a club, others just build a team.

To build a successful club takes smart planning, patience, nurturing talent and quality coaching from the top grade down. Any palooka can put a team together, it just takes cash.

Every club has a five-year plan, it’s just that you only hear the losing ones constantly talking about it.

In my rugby league career I was lucky enough to be a part of a club which was built from the bottom up by a group of very smart men.

The Newcastle Knights were to enter the then NSWRL in 1988. Financially they had a shoestring budget, but they had men with plenty of knowledge and plenty of patience.

These men were head coach Allan McMahon, his assistant and rugby league genius Allen Bell, one of the game’s great educators in David Waite, a man who if not going into NRL administration would’ve been a premier coach, in Robert Finch, and one of the game’s best talent identifiers, Keith Onslow.

With little money, these men knew the future of the Knights depended on local talent and rather than try to do it the easy way by identifying 20 or 30 kids and schooling them up to the ways of the Knights, they took on the mammoth task of basically coaching all the kids of the region by hitting all the schools.

I was in year 10 in high school at Maitland when suddenly McMahon, Bell and Waite turned up to run our training session. They did this on numerous occasions, each session brought a new lesson.

LESSON 1 – VOCABULARY

The first step in understanding is vocabulary. They taught us all the names of the Knight’s attacking sequences, the attacking shapes, the clever little ruck plays. There were pops, agains, nexts, double-nexts, pop-agains, Bozo’s, Busts, extras and multiple combinations of these calls.

They taught us how to defend as a collective. The third player from the ruck was the defence decision maker.

If you want to defend in an aggressive outside/in manner, he called Red.

If you found yourself slightly outnumbered he called, Green, which meant the team would revert to a slide defence.

LESSON 2 — SCIENCE

It’s one thing to run a play, it’s another to execute it correctly.

We learnt the subtle nature as ball players of creating a space and how the ball runners would burst into the correct half of the gap made.

As ball players we learnt how to disguise our intention, or as Bell would put it, ‘tell a lie with the football.’

We were taught how to think two plays ahead, how to manipulate a defence in a lead up sequence and leave them short for the next play up our sleeve.

And in the art of organising, they taught us how to divide the field laterally into 10 parts using percentages. For instance, the black dot on the crossbar was the 50 per cent, toward the far touchline 90 per cent, the near goalpost 40 per cent, etc.

LESSON 3 – APPLICATION

Skill, knowledge and the ability to communicate the calls is one thing, pulling all these things together, learning when and how to apply them under pressure and fatigue is what separates the very best. ‘Take two to the 50 per cent for a Billy Bust play’, ‘lay the 40 per cent and come back for a pop-again’, ‘push one more to the 90 per cent and come back with a two pass extra’.

And of course, being able to abandon all these things when the tempo increases and just play fast, reactive football. But then importantly being able to find your way back to the plan is an art in itself, and the domain of the very, very best playmakers.

WHAT THAT YIELDED

For the Knights, out of all that travelling and all the young men they educated, it brought through a core group of local young players who were educated simultaneously, and immediately from day one, had a solid base of understanding.

We played Jersey Flegg together, some under-21s and then ultimately by the time we hit first grade, our instincts were in direct line with how the club wanted to play.

Our understanding was such that we could operate for periods without calls. When a situation occurred, instinctively we knew what had to be done next.

We played by principles, not structure.

You see here’s the thing, it takes years for all this complexity to just become your natural game, to play with total instinct and be exactly in line with the teams principles.

If you look at the best NRL clubs, they have built their success by getting young talent into their system early and educating them simultaneously and then sprinkling that group with a couple of high quality imports.

That was the Knight’s formula. As they entered the competition, their five-year plan was to be a Top 5 finals team, their 10-year plan to win a comp, they achieved both.

I love watching the Penrith Panthers, a perfect example of a group of young men who have come through the same system, playing to the same principles which allows them to play fast and instinctively.

Sam Walker and his family’s decision to have him join the Roosters is genius, he’s a young player who’s been educated incredibly well, coming into a team who have an established, successful style but a side intelligent enough to adjust slightly to suit Sam’s strengths.

Most clubs are operating week to week, year to year. They spend big money on new players and when the team perform badly, they sack the coach and start all over again, and you wonder why the gap is widening.

That there is a very well put together "dumbed down" version of what it takes to create a successful environment. Not just in the NRL either. You would find a lot of successful businesses would adopt similar perspectives.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lol, f**k off then Browny.
^^^^^^^ This!!

He and his management team have carried on like absolute twats through the whole process. Papa, Marata and Kaufusi’s emergence have shown us he is very replaceable if he keeps going on like he has. He owes this club and BA plenty more than what he has shown lately.

T.S Quint

Coach
^^^^^^^ This!!

He and his management team have carried on like absolute twats through the whole process. Papa, Marata and Kaufusi’s emergence have shown us he is very replaceable if he keeps going on like he has. He owes this club and BA plenty more than what he has shown lately.

I can’t see the club backing down on this. They didn’t with Gutho so fat chance they will with Brown.
I hope he stays but if he wants to be a pussy softcock then he can f**k off to some shit club like Canterbury or Wests and enjoy never singing the victory song enough to even learn the words.

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon this is mountain out of molehill stuff. If my employer told me they were only doing 2 year deals and then turned around and made deal with another guy for 4 years, I’d ask the question. It just so happens this is an industry where those questions generally get asked in the media

TheRam

Coach
I can’t see the club backing down on this. They didn’t with Gutho so fat chance they will with Brown.
I hope he stays but if he wants to be a pussy softcock then he can f**k off to some shit club like Canterbury or Wests and enjoy never singing the victory song enough to even learn the words.

Canterbury are building just fine and will be a decent side next year and in a couple may even be a top 4 contender depending on who else they sign.

Matt Burton is the key for them, now it is just a matter of putting more and more quality around him, which they are doing very well. Players will now want to go there knowing they have a great young playmaker to play off of. That is what makes all players successful and enjoy their footy. Not working your ringer off and seeing it go to waste for nought result.

Cloeel

Juniors
Canterbury are building just fine and will be a decent side next year and in a couple may even be a top 4 contender depending on who else they sign.

Matt Burton is the key for them, now it is just a matter of putting more and more quality around him, which they are doing very well.

I don't think Trent Barrett is the answer.

I also think their front office needs some sorting out.

I also think Burton will backflip.

yy_cheng

Coach
I reckon this is mountain out of molehill stuff. If my employer told me they were only doing 2 year deals and then turned around and made deal with another guy for 4 years, I’d ask the question. It just so happens this is an industry where those questions generally get asked in the media
I thought when he got injured initially, he should've had his contract signed. The longer they play, the longer the risk of injury and then their bargaining power

84 Baby

Referee

Matt Burton is the key for them, now it is just a matter of putting more and more quality around him, which they are doing very well. Players will now want to go there knowing they have a great young playmaker to play off of. That is what makes all players successful and enjoy their footy. Not working your ringer off and seeing it go to waste for nought result.
I think Burton is a superb individual player similar to a Munster or Inglis or even in some ways Hayne. But I don’t see him being able to lead a team through a game plan. That said he will take pressure off Flanagan

TheRam

Coach
I don't think Trent Barrett is the answer.

I also think their front office needs some sorting out.

I also think Burton will backflip.

Well you are dealing with two hypotheticals that have yet to be proven one way or another and one that hasn't stopped them signing quality players since Barrett came on board, so it would seem that their front office at this stage isn't a factor.

Use your eyes and brain and for a sec and acknowledge that they are signing more quality then any other club at present. That is due to Barrett mate. If he can keep signing these types of players, his coaching will be fine enough. I don't like him as a coach by the way, he is a big sook, and reminds me of the other two great sook coaches, Bozo and Sticky, who will throw anyone and everyone under the bus, when unexpected losses occur or things go pear shaped.

They rarely ever blame themselves unless it is to look humble and show fake humility and therefore look good doing it.

TheRam

Coach
I think Burton is a superb individual player similar to a Munster or Inglis or even in some ways Hayne. But I don’t see him being able to lead a team through a game plan. That said he will take pressure off Flanagan

His kicking game alone will do the trick mate. Watch this space.

TheRam

Coach

Oh, you don't think that Muster is the creative spark in the Storm lineup? Sure he isn't a traditional playmaker, but jeez you don't see all the stuff he does that the whole team react to and play off?

hindy111

Post Whore

Your missing one thing Ram. The coach. How good is Barrett? The squad added Cotric,Allan,Hethrington,Flanagan to last year and gone backwards by a fair margin if ask me.
Burton's a huge signing I agree. JAC may also help but is he just a fast guy in a great system and side who dislodges DWZ who is a solid player.
They bring in Naden for Hoppa who is nothing to get excited about. How much of an upgrade is this?

Other then Burton I find it hard to be excited about any of their signings tbh. Is BURTON the next Thurston? I reckon there is a chance he is. But let's see a little more of him first.
The side plays with no intensity or energy. Part of being a good coach is having guys play for you. Cotric was an origin level player. He now looks like your average first grader.
I've watched Parra try and build buying big names. Problem is many signings are coming for the money. I prefer low key signings these days.

84 Baby

Referee
Oh, you don't think that Muster is the creative spark in the Storm lineup? Sure he isn't a traditional playmaker, but jeez you don't see all the stuff he does that the whole team react to and play off?
For me, teams need (and Johns mentioned it in that article earlier) to have a game plan when they’re going through the grind to set up the scoring opportunities and then they also need those players that when there is a defence breakdown react to it heedless of the plan at that moment.
Not to say some players can’t be good at both, Munster clearly is because visually it’s obvious he’s good at the reaction part and results wise he obviously follows a plan, but naturally players are going to lean more to the game manager or game breaker.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well you are dealing with two hypotheticals that have yet to be proven one way or another and one that hasn't stopped them signing quality players since Barrett came on board, so it would seem that their front office at this stage isn't a factor.
Any club with any coach can sign quality players. The question is how much they have to pay. It's likely that Burton and JAC are going to look like dogshit behind the Canterbury pack, no different to how rep players Cotric, Hopoate, DWZ and Allen look right now. Burton will improve the team but they need a lot of improving to be any good.

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
This is a brilliant article and I hope that A. Johns somehow convinces our coaching staff to apply these ideas and principles to our clubs way of thinking and coaching. Especially the schools thing.

It also probably explains why our ball runners(backrowers) struggle to hit a hole correctly and I was banging on about it so much last year. As an example of someone that knows how to run a line or hit a hole look at Souths Keaon Koloamatangi. Our backrowers are not in the same league in this area of their game. That includes I. Papalii, who relies mainly on power, energy and a little footwork.

But anyway, this article is well worth a read. We can only hope that Johns influence on our team and playmakers in particular really takes root. But I would love to see us move in this direction if we haven't already done so. When I look at someone like Drown's game he is a perfect example of someone that has the talent, but needs years of this type of tuition and guidance to develop it properly.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/bbb76487808146f1aa44680d4cef54a9

Matty Johns: The secret to an NRL club’s success

The best NRL clubs have built their success by getting young talent into their system early and educating them with some basic rugby league principles, writes Matty Johns.

It seems that the theme of this season is ‘the haves and the have nots’.

The gap between the best and the rest.

How do you close the gap? Well we can’t, they, the struggling clubs, have to.

I hear people say the six-again rule and the tempo increase is to blame, but there’s no way we should revert back to a middle-field wrestle fest just to artificially level out the competition.

The game has gone back to what it should be.

There’s a reason why some sides are consistently in the top four, some consistently in the bottom four, and some consistently in between.

Some organisations in the NRL build a club, others just build a team.

To build a successful club takes smart planning, patience, nurturing talent and quality coaching from the top grade down. Any palooka can put a team together, it just takes cash.

Every club has a five-year plan, it’s just that you only hear the losing ones constantly talking about it.

In my rugby league career I was lucky enough to be a part of a club which was built from the bottom up by a group of very smart men.

The Newcastle Knights were to enter the then NSWRL in 1988. Financially they had a shoestring budget, but they had men with plenty of knowledge and plenty of patience.

These men were head coach Allan McMahon, his assistant and rugby league genius Allen Bell, one of the game’s great educators in David Waite, a man who if not going into NRL administration would’ve been a premier coach, in Robert Finch, and one of the game’s best talent identifiers, Keith Onslow.

With little money, these men knew the future of the Knights depended on local talent and rather than try to do it the easy way by identifying 20 or 30 kids and schooling them up to the ways of the Knights, they took on the mammoth task of basically coaching all the kids of the region by hitting all the schools.

I was in year 10 in high school at Maitland when suddenly McMahon, Bell and Waite turned up to run our training session. They did this on numerous occasions, each session brought a new lesson.

LESSON 1 – VOCABULARY

The first step in understanding is vocabulary. They taught us all the names of the Knight’s attacking sequences, the attacking shapes, the clever little ruck plays. There were pops, agains, nexts, double-nexts, pop-agains, Bozo’s, Busts, extras and multiple combinations of these calls.

They taught us how to defend as a collective. The third player from the ruck was the defence decision maker.

If you want to defend in an aggressive outside/in manner, he called Red.

If you found yourself slightly outnumbered he called, Green, which meant the team would revert to a slide defence.

LESSON 2 — SCIENCE

It’s one thing to run a play, it’s another to execute it correctly.

We learnt the subtle nature as ball players of creating a space and how the ball runners would burst into the correct half of the gap made.

As ball players we learnt how to disguise our intention, or as Bell would put it, ‘tell a lie with the football.’

We were taught how to think two plays ahead, how to manipulate a defence in a lead up sequence and leave them short for the next play up our sleeve.

And in the art of organising, they taught us how to divide the field laterally into 10 parts using percentages. For instance, the black dot on the crossbar was the 50 per cent, toward the far touchline 90 per cent, the near goalpost 40 per cent, etc.

LESSON 3 – APPLICATION

Skill, knowledge and the ability to communicate the calls is one thing, pulling all these things together, learning when and how to apply them under pressure and fatigue is what separates the very best. ‘Take two to the 50 per cent for a Billy Bust play’, ‘lay the 40 per cent and come back for a pop-again’, ‘push one more to the 90 per cent and come back with a two pass extra’.

And of course, being able to abandon all these things when the tempo increases and just play fast, reactive football. But then importantly being able to find your way back to the plan is an art in itself, and the domain of the very, very best playmakers.

WHAT THAT YIELDED

For the Knights, out of all that travelling and all the young men they educated, it brought through a core group of local young players who were educated simultaneously, and immediately from day one, had a solid base of understanding.

We played Jersey Flegg together, some under-21s and then ultimately by the time we hit first grade, our instincts were in direct line with how the club wanted to play.

Our understanding was such that we could operate for periods without calls. When a situation occurred, instinctively we knew what had to be done next.

We played by principles, not structure.

You see here’s the thing, it takes years for all this complexity to just become your natural game, to play with total instinct and be exactly in line with the teams principles.

If you look at the best NRL clubs, they have built their success by getting young talent into their system early and educating them simultaneously and then sprinkling that group with a couple of high quality imports.

That was the Knight’s formula. As they entered the competition, their five-year plan was to be a Top 5 finals team, their 10-year plan to win a comp, they achieved both.

I love watching the Penrith Panthers, a perfect example of a group of young men who have come through the same system, playing to the same principles which allows them to play fast and instinctively.

Sam Walker and his family’s decision to have him join the Roosters is genius, he’s a young player who’s been educated incredibly well, coming into a team who have an established, successful style but a side intelligent enough to adjust slightly to suit Sam’s strengths.

Most clubs are operating week to week, year to year. They spend big money on new players and when the team perform badly, they sack the coach and start all over again, and you wonder why the gap is widening.
A great read Ram but it's all about looking for the collision.

Cloeel

Juniors

Use your eyes and brain and for a sec and acknowledge that they are signing more quality then any other club at present. That is due to Barrett mate. If he can keep signing these types of players, his coaching will be fine enough. I don't like him as a coach by the way, he is a big sook, and reminds me of the other two great sook coaches, Bozo and Sticky, who will throw anyone and everyone under the bus, when unexpected losses occur or things go pear shaped.

They rarely ever blame themselves unless it is to look humble and show fake humility and therefore look good doing it.

Yes your right. They have signed some "Quality players" but all bar maybe Hetherington have declined since being there.

Barrett I feel is a great assistant coach. However Barrett does not currently have the ability to be a great head coach. Just my opinion. I would go as far as to say Barrett will never get the Bulldogs into the top 8.

hindy111

Post Whore
Any club with any coach can sign quality players. The question is how much they have to pay. It's likely that Burton and JAC are going to look like dogshit begins the Canterbury pack, no different to how rep players Cotric, Hopoate, DWZ and Allen look right now. Burton will improve the team but they need a lot of improving to be any good.

If Burton goes. Lots of noise and the rumblings are only getting louder.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Dogs looks worse than they did last season with a stronger roster, the family club really f**ked Pay over.

I hope Barrett has some comfy chairs now at least.