What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
if you’re going to overrate Kenny, you may as well overrate everybody pre 90’s.

Kenny was magic. The big difference in the 80s imo was most had full-time jobs and poor diets. Same as the 90s however it did improve. But back then a player like Grothe most likely did a bit more gym work and had a better diet then other players. If not then perhaps just genetically stronger. But a guy like Semi or even Ferguson if transported their 2017 body into the 80s would of been unstoppable.

But it was fun cause nobody knew how to have the fittest and strongest body.So guys stood out and could be glorified more often. Now in the NRL every single player is a full-time athlete. Their bodies have little room for improvement so it is all based on skill and genetic strength. Even the weakest guys like Moses would be seen as powerfull in the 80s.

It is also the reason you don't get these star centres anymore like Renouf,ET,Girdler etc.... It isn't that we do not have great centres but more the opposition is just so strong as well. Makes it harder to look good.

League was at its best imo in the late 90s thru to mid 2000s. When people would get excited over a Tallis or Puletua. While guys like Burt and Tookey still had a place in the game.

Now it is quite vanilla.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Stat’s are only meaningless if they don’t support your argument
Where do you think I get my arguments from? Stats are always a big part, and I find them useful because I can distinguish signal from noise better than most. So if I tell you a stat is useless it's because it is. If it was useful I would use it to inform my assessment.
but your WSPY18merkins is where it’s at apparently lol.
I've made clear this one is mostly a joke. Or at least relies on additional context. It's good for comparing two players of about the same age. That's about it.

emjaycee

Coach
I've made clear this one is mostly a joke. Or at least relies on additional context. It's good for comparing two players of about the same age. That's about it.
WTF!!!
I thought this was a serious stat and have been using to compare all past and current Eels players in order to find the top 10 greatest ever Eels.
What a waste of my f**ken day you merkin!!!

hindy111

Post Whore
When Drown is on the field they tend to target Moses (left side) which is the side Opacic was on until recently. He has also made a lot more tackles than the other centres I looked at.

I agree he is a brilliant defender. His attack is just ok. I like him. But if we are wanting to improve our squad its either cutting a better player and upgrading in that position. Like say D.Brown or Matterson. Or what?

I imagine Dunster,Waqa,Opacic would be areas we can upgrade along with some bench players. But our bench is quite strong also. So unsure. Do we just roll out with same side?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree he is a brilliant defender. His attack is just ok. I like him. But if we are wanting to improve our squad its either cutting a better player and upgrading in that position. Like say D.Brown or Matterson. Or what?

I imagine Dunster,Waqa,Opacic would be areas we can upgrade along with some bench players. But our bench is quite strong also. So unsure. Do we just roll out with same side?
I dunno. I'm looking forward to seeing how we continue to recruit for next year. I wonder how much Dylan Walker would cost. Avenger would be stoked if we signed another Serbian.

Yeah agreed. Just because an overpaid player is part of the problem doesn't mean subsidising him to play elsewhere is necessarily the solution.
Although I think a lot of the time it's not just that they aren't performing to the level that they're being paid but that they're causing disharmony, or the situation is anyway, and that can affect others. I reckon that's probably why we see so many transfers with clubs happy to chip in to move them on even though it's no gain on paper.

hindy111

Post Whore
I dunno. I'm looking forward to seeing how we continue to recruit for next year. I wonder how much Dylan Walker would cost. Avenger would be stoked if we signed another Serbian.

Likewise.
I hope we raid the Bulldogs for a few of their juniors. Hoping mail on that centre was correct.

Yeah agreed. Just because an overpaid player is part of the problem doesn't mean subsidising him to play elsewhere is necessarily the solution.

Yeh, but anyway back to my original response to Hiney. I reckon that Lodge has actually had a go (as I think he always does). The Broncs have other players who go missing (quite early in the game).

Gazzamatta

Coach
Anyone see the Lodge head stomp from last night claiming it was an accident whilst playing the ball? Any action taken? I missed it live. It popped up on my FB Feed. Looked deliberate to my untrained eye.