What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

The Eel

Juniors
Thats a shame but you can't blame him really. We will need to go to market case cuase Roache clearly is too risky to rely on. WTF happened to Schneider?
There was a whisper we were in tmarket for Starling from Raiders. Don't know how true that is though
Schneider wasn’t even playing NSW cup at 21 so not sure he is an option.

Roache on another development contract wouId be a decent option if he can stay injury free. He is due for some luck.

I think TCT mentioned the 21’s hooker (Yates ?) may have some potential.

While Rein may be a cheapie / back up option
I thought I read somewhere Roache would be moving on. Could be wrong though

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah it’s just one game, no big deal who really cares. I mean one game doesn’t mean anymore than another. Tell that to the team that loses the GF.
Plenty of merkins care, I'm just saying randomness is a massive factor and only a useless pissy deadshit would pretend it's somebody's fault. Is Bellamy a shit coach every time his team loses a finals match? If he's the best why does his team lose sometimes?

hindy111

Post Whore
Plenty of merkins care, I'm just saying randomness is a massive factor and only a useless pissy deadshit would pretend it's somebody's fault. Is Bellamy a shit coach every time his team loses a finals match? If he's the best why does his team lose sometimes?

Sometimes> Often

lucablight

First Grade
What are we to learn from the past? That the Storm have a better team than us and we don't want to meet them in the finals? Souths have a better team as well. So do Penrith. Does that mean some merkin needs to get the sack?
You say it as if it’s unreasonable for us to expect our team to beat the top 3 sides sometimes (even if it’s the finals). Our forwards can match any pack in the comp, we have plenty of firepower in the backs and Moses is in the form of his life. I can’t agree with you that we should be happy that we got beaten by a better team when we are every chance to win this game. At some point you have to break through and this is our chance.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You say it as if it’s unreasonable for us to expect our team to beat the top 3 sides sometimes (even if it’s the finals). Our forwards can match any pack in the comp, we have plenty of firepower in the backs and Moses is in the form of his life. I can’t agree with you that we should be happy that we got beaten by a better team when we are every chance to win this game. At some point you have to break through and this is our chance.
Forget about Arthur and apply your logic somewhere less emotional for you. Bennett has a chance to get to a grand final with Souths; a club so strong they won a comp with Maguire as coach, but have failed to do under Wayne Bennett. If they don't win next weekend does that mean it's Bennett's fault? Or were they just beaten by a better team on the day? And if losing next weekend doesn't say anything about Bennett's ability then why would losing this weekend or next be any more meaningful for any other coach?

lucablight

First Grade
Forget about Arthur and apply your logic somewhere less emotional for you. Bennett has a chance to get to a grand final with Souths; a club so strong they won a comp with Maguire as coach, but have failed to do under Wayne Bennett. If they don't win next weekend does that mean it's Bennett's fault? Or were they just beaten by a better team on the day? And if losing next weekend doesn't say anything about Bennett's ability then why would losing this weekend or next be any more meaningful for any other coach?
The difference is that Wayne Bennett has demonstrable examples of success in the past so he is granted more leeway. If Brad Arthur had shown the same amount of success then he would be given more leeway as well. Bennett has already overachieved in the eyes of most pundits by beating the Panthers and making week 3 with no Latrell. I won’t deny that if the Panthers beat us that the contributing factor would be that we just got beaten by a better team. However, you can’t keep using that excuse forever. Eventually there comes a point where you have to question as to why the current coach can’t get you to be that better team.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The difference is that Wayne Bennett has demonstrable examples of success in the past so he is granted more leeway. If Brad Arthur had shown the same amount of success then he would be given more leeway as well. Bennett has already overachieved in the eyes of most pundits by beating the Panthers and making week 3 with no Latrell. I won’t deny that if the Panthers beat us that the contributing factor would be that we just got beaten by a better team. However, you can’t keep using that excuse forever. Eventually there comes a point where you have to question as to why the current coach can’t get you to be that better team.
Well given the different levels of success experienced by different coaches at different clubs, the first thing you should question is whether all clubs are equally capable of success. Michael Maguire won a premiership at Souths yet can't get the Tigers into the finals. Yet Wayne Bennett hasn't won anything with Souths, and only got Newcastle to the finals once in three years. How do you reckon Bennett would go at Wests? Better than Maguire? He hasn't achieved as much at Souths as Maguire did.

lucablight

First Grade
Well given the different levels of success experienced by different coaches at different clubs, the first thing you should question is whether all clubs are equally capable of success. Michael Maguire won a premiership at Souths yet can't get the Tigers into the finals. Yet Wayne Bennett hasn't won anything with Souths, and only got Newcastle to the finals once in three years. How do you reckon Bennett would go at Wests? Better than Maguire? He hasn't achieved as much at Souths as Maguire did.
I’d say we’re in a much better position than those Knights and Tigers sides. They were never realistically a chance of doing anything in the finals. Our roster is way above the level
of being a fringe finals side. Wayne has also taken Souths to a minimum of one game within the grand final the past three seasons. That’s a pretty good effort. I’m sure if he was at Souths for 8 seasons and didn’t win a competition at some stage that his position would come under scrutiny. Maguire obviously did a good job with the roster he walked into at Souths but he stagnated there and he hasn’t done a very good job at building a team at the Tigers. If it was as simple as him simply not having the players his position wouldn’t be under scrutiny. Even Cleary’s position will come into question if they go out in straight sets after being so dominant the last two seasons.
If you look at our roster I’d say we underachieved during the regular season by finishing sixth. We’re certainly a better side than the fifth placed injury ravaged Roosters. I’d argue we’re a better side than the fourth placed Sea Eagles as well.
As I said repeatedly you can’t continue to be happy by losing to teams you’re “supposed to” lose to every finals series. There comes a point where you have to expect more. Otherwise we might as well award them premiership to the bookies favourite at the beginning of every season.